What happened to my Masakage?!?!?!?!?!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems like we are trying unnecessarily too hard to define a good guy and a bad guy. I am not trying to defend anyone, but mishaps happen even to the best and I do not think this endless bashing of one particular seller does any good to the KKF community and in particular to new members (that actually also includes me) and their perception of KKF. The ban of even naming the seller actually makes it hard to share relevant user/buyer experience and, IMHO, the lack of one sticky post from admins that would shortly but clearly explain the ban once and for all does not improve upon the things either. KKF is probably the largest English speaking community when it comes to kitchen knives and has also become an important hub for many vendors - and as we all know - with power comes responsibility.

I agree with the previous two posts.
The crack was noticed after two months of pro use. I'm not saying he caused it, but it's far from obvious. What he posted here was a magnified picture. I reduced it as much as I easily could on my computer, and it was hard to see (it was still larger than life size).
I get tired of the bashing, and it's far too often that someone asks a perfectly reasonable question. A number of people have weighed in that this flaw is not likely to impact performance or cause the knife to be unusable, and the seller has publicly stated that he would replace the knife if needed.

It seems like we are trying unnecessarily too hard to define a good guy and a bad guy. I am not trying to defend anyone, but mishaps happen even to the best and I do not think this endless bashing of one particular seller does any good to the KKF community and in particular to new members (that actually also includes me) and their perception of KKF. The ban of even naming the seller actually makes it hard to share relevant user/buyer experience and, IMHO, the lack of one sticky post from admins that would shortly but clearly explain the ban once and for all does not improve upon the things either. KKF is probably the largest English speaking community when it comes to kitchen knives and has also become an important hub for many vendors - and as we all know - with power comes responsibility.

We're allowed to post contrary opinions as to members about all other knife-related things, but not about vendors?

Is it "bashing" if it's based in fact? Because if that's what you call bashing, then any contrary opinion is "bashing", even if correct.

I agree with the previous two posts.
The crack was noticed after two months of pro use. I'm not saying he caused it, but it's far from obvious. What he posted here was a magnified picture. I reduced it as much as I easily could on my computer, and it was hard to see (it was still larger than life size).
I get tired of the bashing, and it's far too often that someone asks a perfectly reasonable question. A number of people have weighed in that this flaw is not likely to impact performance or cause the knife to be unusable, and the seller has publicly stated that he would replace the knife if needed.

Well, then clarify it with the OP and the member who made a blanket statement about Mark's service.

There are plenty of others here who haven't received good service or a similar offer to replace a knife. He never offered to replace a knife that I had bought from him me that had a bolster issue, and handle issue where the wood began deteriorating after just light use.

We're allowed to post contrary opinions as to members about all other knife-related things, but not about vendors?

Is it "bashing" if it's based in fact? Because if that's what you call bashing, then any contrary opinion is "bashing", even if correct.

Seems like I was not clear. We should indeed be allowed to to post critical opinions on anything including vendors. But if the one vendor which gets criticized (or bashed) can not even be properly named so if you are looking (browsing) for experience about particular vendor - you will have hard time to find something relevant (positive or negative), than it is not OK. Also - if certain issue is being discussed, than coming with a general negative statement which is not directly related to the subject is just not helpful.

I would simply like it open and honest. The way this one particular vendor is being handled here is simply not doing any good to KKF. How should I know that I am on the righteous side? Not knowing is rarely a good thing. We either openly talk about this particular, or just draw a line and leave it to the past. Creating a negative myth makes our hands look dirty too.

Seems like I was not clear. We should indeed be allowed to to post critical opinions on anything including vendors. But if the one vendor which gets criticized (or bashed) can not even be properly named so if you are looking (browsing) for experience about particular vendor - you will have hard time to find something relevant (positive or negative), than it is not OK. Also - if certain issue is being discussed, than coming with a general negative statement which is not directly related to the subject is just not helpful.

I would simply like it open and honest. The way this one particular vendor is being handled here is simply not doing any good to KKF. How should I know that I am on the righteous side? Not knowing is rarely a good thing. We either openly talk about this particular, or just draw a line and leave it to the past. Creating a negative myth makes our hands look dirty too.

Neither is making a general positive statement then, wouldn't you agree?

And, you are assuming that this is a myth. It is not, I assure you. Do some research here and you will see many posts about this vendor and customer service and QC issues. This is well documented.

Remember, the vendor at issue is the primary seller of Moritaka.

I personally never dealt with him (vendor in question), so it's hard to pitch in something constrictive.
But honestly, I hear a lot of positive things about the vendor in question. And mostly negative things are from the same people over and over again and this gets old.

I wont speak as to vendor issues but I can speak from knife making exp and plenty of exp with san mai construction..That crack could have always been there BUT it could have very well been a microscopic crack that was not visible to the naked eye at all..If that was the case it would/could have opened a bit with pressure/use..Likely it will not get any bigger but you never really know..I made an axe head with similar construction about 10 years ago..It had a very small delam along the cutting bit were I didnt clean the steel correctly(happens to the best of us every blue moon). I decided to just keep it and use it to split kindling with(we burn wood in the house and shop)..Ive had it that long and abused the heck out of it..Never been an issue..

I personally never dealt with him (vendor in question), so it's hard to pitch in something constrictive.
But honestly, I hear a lot of positive things about the vendor in question. And mostly negative things are from the same people over and over again and this gets old.

I see poor quality knives still being sold by that vendor and complaints, and that gets old too.

I normally buy from vendors here, or direct from makers, but I recently bought a Konosuke Fujiyama Blue 2 Funayuki, from the vendor in question, because it was the right knife at the right price. It arrived very quickly, and is an incredibly sweet knife. The one time I returned a knife to the vendor in question, it was painless, and I was reimbursed for shipping (it was for something that I wasn't satisfied with, but which wasn't really a QC issue: Tojiro DP, 'nuff said). Do I go to Jon or Maxim, or Dave or one of the makers here, first? Sure. Do I buy from the vendor in question, with fine experiences so far? Yes. Just my 2 cents.

regarding that crack, I would just fill it with super glue or epoxy, and get on with life.

x2 on EdipisRek's stance here minus buying an awesome Kono Fuji Blue#2 Funayuki.....wish I had one of those.

That said, this is largely where my post came from in questioning the timing of the crack and when it was noticed. A vendor to some people may have a particular reputation but that doesn't mean you should still default to that reputation in light of evidence that contradicts it for this case in particular.

Anyhow, Jon himself said you should be fine along with a bunch of other members here that are well regarded, return it if you want otherwise glue it and move in. If you do glue it I highly recommend waiting the 24hr's that super glue takes to "fully cure" which is indicated on many manufacturer's websites. It does seem to result in a stronger bond if you leave it undisturbed for at least a day after applying and setting it.

a couple things.....
first of all i would like to apologize for instigating this silly argument....

more importantly i appreciate all the sincere suggestions i was able to glean

i have decided to keep the knife and i am rankly in so pleased with it that i just bought a 240 yuki gyuto from knifewear.com
this is not because of any dissatisfaction i may, or may not, have with the previous website, its simply because they had it in stock and for the same price(only in Canadian dollars, so it ended up being significantly cheaper)

you gotta love international exchange rates right?

once again, thanks for all the input

christopher

a couple things.....
first of all i would like to apologize for instigating this silly argument....

more importantly i appreciate all the sincere suggestions i was able to glean

i have decided to keep the knife and i am rankly in so pleased with it that i just bought a 240 yuki gyuto from knifewear.com
this is not because of any dissatisfaction i may, or may not, have with the previous website, its simply because they had it in stock and for the same price(only in Canadian dollars, so it ended up being significantly cheaper)

you gotta love international exchange rates right?

once again, thanks for all the input

christopher

Won't you get hit with import taxes?

Back