What is the purpose of jns red aoto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

tostadas

Reaction score
Is this supposed to be a finishing stone or sharpening stone? Or something else?
Both, it's awesome. (I assume you are referring to the synthetic red aoto)

I primarily use it for sharpening. The edge is aggressive, but not as much as say a Shapton 2k.

It's also decent for starting a kasumi finish, but I would not consider it to be a final stone for polishing purposes. It slurries up nicely to produce an even finish, but is not excessively muddy.

psfred

Reaction score
I use a blue synthetic aoto between the Bester 1200 and a 6k stone, either Arashiyama or King. Makes for a very nice edge on chisels and plane blades. Sometimes stop there on knives, don't need a razor edge for cutting meat.

I would assume the same use for the red one, and for the Naniwa Green Brick I just bought.

Either you like them or you don't.

KingShapton

Reaction score
I would assume the same use for the red one, and for the Naniwa Green Brick I just bought.
The Green Brick is really such a case - you hate it or love it.
For a long time I didn't know what to do with this stone, today I appreciate it very much. The trick is, you have to find the right predecessor stone...in my case the Naniwa Chosera 400. Those are the only two Naniwas that I would buy again.

KingShapton

Reaction score
I use a blue synthetic aoto between the Bester 1200 and a 6k stone, either Arashiyama or King. Makes for a very nice edge on chisels and plane blades. Sometimes stop there on knives, don't need a razor edge for cutting meat
Are you talking about the blue aoto from JNS?

According to the description it is a mix of different grits, how would you classify it? 2k-3k? 2k-4k?

Cliff

Reaction score
I typically use the soft, synthetic red aoto from JNS for polishing; but if it's out and ready to go, it gets pressed into service for edges, too. It works great for both.

ETA - I sealed mine and use it as splash-and-go. It works up good mud easily.

Last edited:

psfred

Reaction score
Not the one from JNS, I believe it was a Naniwa branded stone when I bought it some years ago (15 or 20 years ago). Medium blue, darker blue when wet, notorious for breaking if soaked - or not I think.

May or may not still be available, certainly not as a Naniwa nor in the places I looked for it.

2K grit, works down to 3K or so with mud. I like it enough to have glued it together a couple times, it's going to be a splash and go from now on in the hopes it will stay more or less intact.