What is the tang size of a Kato gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
Stefan is making a handle for a Kato gyuto for me. In order to make sure the handle will fit properly, he needs to know the size of the tang of the blade where it enters the handle (e.g., 12 x 4 mm). The problem is, I don't have a Kato yet... (I'll have the handle before I have the knife :) .)

Is there anyone who can measure this tang size for me at the point where the blade enters the handle? And can you then also tell whether you have a 210 mm or a 240 mm Kato (or a different size)?

Thanks!

I've been told by Greg at Wabocho that the tangs on Kato knives vary quite a bit from knife to knife so take these measurements with a grain of salt. It's better to err on the small side so you can file it larger if need be.

210mm Gyuto: 10*4 mm

240mm Gytuo: 13*5 mm

I too am waiting on a custom handle for my 240 mm in stabilized walnut burl, silver spacer, and black buffalo horn. What materials did you go for?

May want to contact the vendor, size could carry quite a bit. Is it a workhorse from Maxim or a regular Kato from another vendor?

I'll order from Maksim when he gets them again. I mailed him too.

Are you ordering a custom handle for a knife that you haven't purchased? That's uh... optimistic.

Back to the original question, gents :) . Since there appears to be quite a bit of variation I'd be very happy with multiple answers. Thanks in advance!

Back to the original question, gents :) . Since there appears to be quite a bit of variation I'd be very happy with multiple answers. Thanks in advance!

Getting multiple handles?

I had asked Mark about this because I never saw a Kato in person. The info from DamageInc with 10x4mm is already very helpful. However, I would also like to know the width of the emoto, the neck at the point where it meets the handle - that seems quite wide which affects the required handle size.
Thanks,

Stefan

I'll get those measurements tomorrow, for both the 210 and the 240.

Also, remember the 10*4 mm measurement was for the 210mm gyuto. The 240mm gyuto measures 13*5 mm.

210 Gyuto: 21 mm

240 Gyuto: 23 mm

Please note that the tang isn't always in the middle of the emoto. Pic is my 210, and as you can see, the hole for the tang was drilled in the middle of the handle, but the knife sits more forwards. My 240 is dead straight in the middle.

ec745630db0cefe7911a.png

I hope this helps.

Back