Recipe Requested What should I do with this

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I like neck for pulled pork.
I like big butts, and I cannot lie!

I worked at a BBQ joint for a couple years. We smoked 180# of shoulders every night.. 60# cases. Man, loading those orders into the freezer was brutal!!! I guess the 3 spine surgeries were inevitable.

Last edited:
So it begins. Cut off 3 steaks and trimmed a bit of the hard fat off. I’ll cook those tonight and make a mushroom sauce for it (I’m not chef, forgive my lack of terminology).

The rest (3.75lbs) is salted with 2tsb of salt & 1/2tsp brown sugar. This’ll sit until Saturday in the fridge and I’ll sprinkle on some rosemary and throw it in the oven. The suggestion by @Genghis_F looks great but let’s face it, I’m not that talented lol
IMG_4481.jpeg
IMG_4482.jpeg

Make sure you put it in the coldest part of the fridge and that your refrigerator temperature is actually low enough.

Once made the mistake of leaving meat uncovered in my aunt's fridge without checking the temp. After my meat started to turn brown in about 8 hours I found out she runs it at 6 degrees...

Make sure you put it in the coldest part of the fridge and that your refrigerator temperature is actually low enough.

Once made the mistake of leaving meat uncovered in my aunt's fridge without checking the temp. After my meat started to turn brown in about 8 hours I found out she runs it at 6 degrees...
It’s in the top right corner by where the cold air blows in. Set to 38° and I have a second thermometer in there since I always doubt built in ones

It’s in the top right corner by where the cold air blows in. Set to 38° and I have a second thermometer in there since I always doubt built in ones
You'd have to verify this on your own fridge to be sure, but generally speaking the lower in your fridge the colder it gets.

Mine is top left, for some odd reason.... If I put boiled eggs there stored in water, it freezes about half way through in 3 days. I keep mine at 35°F.. any colder and produce starts to freeze, any warmer and milk spoils B4 it's date. I should probably change where I put things, but then I'd end up pouring pickle juice in my coffee.

Sounds like you should change the freezer for a new one. ;)
If it's like 15 to 20 years old it usually pays for itself in lower energy consumption anyway.
Refridgerators and freezers are some of the rare few appliances that can actually make sense to replace before they break down.

So it begins. Cut off 3 steaks and trimmed a bit of the hard fat off. I’ll cook those tonight and make a mushroom sauce for it (I’m not chef, forgive my lack of terminology).

The rest (3.75lbs) is salted with 2tsb of salt & 1/2tsp brown sugar. This’ll sit until Saturday in the fridge and I’ll sprinkle on some rosemary and throw it in the oven. The suggestion by @Genghis_F looks great but let’s face it, I’m not that talented lol View attachment 287869View attachment 287870
I’m not super talented
Unrolling a roast or loin is a good excuse to pick up a long suji- like I think you really need a 330 suji! Then it’ll be a breeze 😆
Also having it slightly frozen helps a lot

So, could you tell the impact of dry brining?
Definitely tasted the salt all the way through vs. just on the edge of a slice. It also was MUCH easier and quicker to get a good sear before putting it in the oven to finish.

My wife actually loved this roast and wants me to make one for Christmas dinner. It’s nice to hear since a lot of the times I’ve made pork chops and what not they end up very.. bland.

What other meats/cuts do you find worthwhile to do a dry brine with? Not for every steak right? Lol

Definitely tasted the salt all the way through vs. just on the edge of a slice. It also was MUCH easier and quicker to get a good sear before putting it in the oven to finish.

My wife actually loved this roast and wants me to make one for Christmas dinner. It’s nice to hear since a lot of the times I’ve made pork chops and what not they end up very.. bland.

What other meats/cuts do you find worthwhile to do a dry brine with? Not for every steak right? Lol

I dry brine most anything and especially steaks. :)

ETA: Chicken is an excellent candidate for dry brining.

Last edited:

The only ones I don’t dry brine are ones that are very thin or things I will braise in a salty liquid of some sort

I'll happily dry brine any meat, especially steak. Just don't overdo it. As you found out stuff will sear much easier.

Last edited:

A simple marinade is great too...

For 2 pork chops, 2 pieces of chicken, or even lower grade beef I will marinate for 24 hours.

1Tbsp oil of choice - olive, avocado, sesame, canola
2tsp vinegar of choice - apple cider, wine, balsamic
1-2 tsp fresh chopped/grated garlic
1-2 tsp chopped fresh herbs of your liking
Salt and pepper

Remember for a marinade you want to Coat, Not Float

You can experiment with different combinations of oils, vinegars and herbs!

Doing so, on say, 2 portions of chicken breast, allows you to cheaply experiment without having 10 servings of something you didn't care for.

I like to mix herbs... Equal parts rosemary, thyme and parsley chopped together. You could use dried but cut back to about a half tsp per 2 portions of meat.

I love garlic so I'm always heavy handed with it.

Sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, dried or fresh ginger, garlic, touch of brown sugar, salt and pepper... Maybe a splash of pineapple juice in there.

Balsamic vin, olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper..

If you buy a package of herbs and aren't going to get through them before they rot, you can take an old small bottle (4-6oz), stuff the herbs in, maybe add some garlic cloves, then fill it with oil or vinegar... Then you've made, say, rosemary garlic oil, or vinegar, that can be used later.

Lemon, lime, orange juices.. Any acid can be used with or in place of vinegar for a marinade.

I grill everything I can at 450-500 degrees but am careful to not overcook. 3 minutes on each side is generally enough for most meats 1/2 inch thick. Maybe 4 min each side for chicken breast (boneless). It's quick, easy, with no mess or pans to clean.

I eat pork pinkish - medium to medium well here in the US. Pork is much less likely to get you sick these days.. At least here in the US. I can't speak for European markets but imagine it's the same deal.. maybe even fresher meat over there. You don't have to cook it to a crispy leather, like mom/grandma did 50 years ago. 135 degrees is plenty, as mentioned by someone else regarding the roast. I go to about 160 on chicken though..

Sounds like you should change the freezer for a new one. ;)
If it's like 15 to 20 years old it usually pays for itself in lower energy consumption anyway.
Refridgerators and freezers are some of the rare few appliances that can actually make sense to replace before they break down.
Mine is only 10 years old. realized it's colder top left bc I have ice/water in the left door so it has a bucket of ice near top left... Freezer is bottom drawer style.

Mine is only 10 years old. realized it's colder top left bc I have ice/water in the left door so it has a bucket of ice near top left... Freezer is bottom drawer style.
Aaah interesting... ice makers are so rare in Europe that they never really figure in 'general refridgerator advice here'. Never knew it would impact the temperature distribution inside so much.

But if you have an icemaker it's likely you won't have to worry about it getting 'too old' anyway. ;) All the people who I've ever heard commenting on appliance reliability from a position of knowledge were always unanimous in recommending against them, regardless of brand.

Regarding temperatures; time also matters. There's graphs with curves that show how the effect of temperature changes on time. So for example half an hour on a lower temperature might achieve the same effect as 5 seconds on a higher temp.

Aaah interesting... ice makers are so rare in Europe that they never really figure in 'general refridgerator advice here'. Never knew it would impact the temperature distribution inside so much.

But if you have an icemaker it's likely you won't have to worry about it getting 'too old' anyway. ;) All the people who I've ever heard commenting on appliance reliability from a position of knowledge were always unanimous in recommending against them, regardless of brand.

Regarding temperatures; time also matters. There's graphs with curves that show how the effect of temperature changes on time. So for example half an hour on a lower temperature might achieve the same effect as 5 seconds on a higher temp.
I knew that the UK doesn't use ice, but was not aware all of Europe didn't use them.

My mom was the GM of a chain of appliance stores for 34 years before she retired. We've always had an ice maker. As a kid it was in the bottom drawer freezer section but now they have them so you can get ice and water without opening the door. Many ice makers are unreliable and we've replaced ours twice, but they are only like $100. Mom knows appliances - or used to anyhow, so we actually have one of the better ones.

The fact that it holds well at 35 degrees F with an occasional freeze of certain things in certain places makes me happy. Since 32 F is freezing, I'm pleased with the ability to hold food so close to freezing without actually freezing. You may have been thinking in Celcius when you read my post, which would certainly warrant a new fridge. Not sure what the deal is with milk here. In the summer here, it rarely makes it to the date on the jug. I'm convinced it must sit on the loading dock at 90 degrees F for an extended time, causing it to expire quickly.. or maybe the trucks they haul it in aren't cold enough.. can't keep a good temp when it's so hot outside. Our store could be at the end of the delivery route, making it warmer in the truck after opening the door for several other deliveries.

It's always confusing talking with people across the pond as we are so used to only talking with people from our own country.... We just assume the people we talk to are familiar.

I enjoyed the convo about German dialect in the mountains. Here, mountain dialect 'smells' of spent shotgun shells and moonshine, lol We have many dialects here but refer to them as accents. You can often tell what part of the country someone is from based on their accent. I've lived all over the Eastern US and acquired bits from everywhere so my accent confuses people.

My grandpa was German but I only ever picked up a few words. Wish I had taken German and Spanish in school, but struggled with English so much that there was no way I was diving into another language.
IMG_20231218_120636394.jpg
IMG_20231218_120657837.jpg

Back