What stone determined. ...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mqphoto

Reaction score
What grit determined how toothy the edge will be? Is it the corset stone you use first? Or is it about 1K stone after you get a burr?

Or is it what grit you start with? If it is 120 you will get a more toothy edge than you will start with 400 for example?

And say you did get a new burr with the 1k, does it mens the old edge is gone now from the corse stone and the new edge is from the 1k stone?

I'm a bit confused about what determined how toothy the edge will be?

I only have knife that ain't used yet and u love that edge on it. It will stick in my finger and won't slide off.

Depends on where you finish and if you got to the scratch pattern of that stone or if you meant to leave some of the previous grit's scratch pattern in there.
This is why people talk about making jumps/bridging from one stone to another - what won't take a long time to erase the scratches of the previous stone

Bottom line - if you follow the tried and true stone combos and grit range jumps that have been discussed, the result you get is gonna be more dependent on your technique and your intentions about your edge than anything else

Well firstly, you don't always need to go down to a low grit stone. That should be reserved for times when cutting in a new bevel is needed or when you want to make quick work of chip repair. For the most part the final grit will determine the final edge. Of course there can be exceptions. The idea is that as you move through the grit progression you refine the scratch marks from the previous grit stone with the current grit stone on and on until you get the edge as refined as you would like it. You can of course leave some of the previous scratch pattern on the edge before moving on to the next stone. This can result in different sized cutting teeth at the edge for more toothiness. I only ever do this on softer steels like German blades for example as I never take them higher than 1200 grit leaving them with an unrefined scratch pattern at the edge. I feel this helps retain some of that toothiness on these softer blades for a little bit longer. For harder steels like Japanese blades or American tool steel blades the final edge I leave depends on the blade style and what I will be cutting.

Most double bevel knives, deba and usuba I go up to 5k then I strop on felt loaded with 1 micron diamond for a scary edge with some bite and good retention. For yanagiba, takobiki etc I go up to about 12k and strop on felt loaded with .5 micron chromium oxide for a slippery sharp and smooth edge. For the most part the double bevel knives cut a myriad of products and are in hand the majority of the time and make a lot of board contact so they need a sharp toothy edge that can last. The single bevel slicers only ever cut raw protein, mostly fish and have little to no board contact so its ok if they are much more refined and smooth as they won't wear down as rapidly.

As for the burr the way I do it is this: once I feel the burr I flip it over and sharpen until it raises on the other side. I repeat this process using less and less effort on each side until I can flip the burr with one or two strokes. Then I move up to the next grit. I try to shrink the burr by using less effort and less pressure with each flip and weaken it by flipping it repeatedly until it snaps off like when bending a paper clip back and forth. When the burr is gone and the true apex of the edge is exposed you are basically done with the stones and now you can strop. Proper stropping will ensure you have removed any residual burr or wire edge and enhance your edge with the qualities you desire by using the different substrates and finishing sprays. Some people strop on dry stone. Some like balsa wood. I like loaded felt. Personal preference.

Anyway I've talked long enough and to be quite honest, I'm not to sure if I even answered your questions. Let me know if any of this helped or if you have any further questions.

As for the burr the way I do it is this: once I feel the burr I flip it over and sharpen until it raises on the other side. I repeat this process using less and less effort on each side until I can flip the burr with one or two strokes. Then I move up to the next grit. I try to shrink the burr by using less effort and less pressure with each flip and weaken it by flipping it repeatedly until it snaps off like when bending a paper clip back and forth. When the burr is gone and the true apex of the edge is exposed you are basically done with the stones and now you can strop. Proper stropping will ensure you have removed any residual burr or wire edge and enhance your edge with the qualities you desire by using the different substrates and finishing sprays. Some people strop on dry stone. Some like balsa wood. I like loaded felt. Personal preference.

I've seen you do this in your sharpening vids Rick but only now do I appreciate exactly what you are trying to achieve.

Thanks for this tip. I'm going to incorporate it.

I've seen you do this in your sharpening vids Rick but only now do I appreciate exactly what you are trying to achieve.

Thanks for this tip. I'm going to incorporate it.

Sharpened a microchip out of a Fujiwara Terayasu FKM petty yesterday using this technique. Definitely the sharpest I have gotten this knife (some sort of Aus8-like steel I think). Thanks again for the tip Rick.

Sharpened a microchip out of a Fujiwara Terayasu FKM petty yesterday using this technique. Definitely the sharpest I have gotten this knife (some sort of Aus8-like steel I think). Thanks again for the tip Rick.

I believe you mean Fujiwara Kanefusa. :)

Back