What to do and eat in Seoul?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Interapid101

Reaction score
Probably will have to travel to Seoul in August when the temps are hottest and stickiest and the yellow acid rain is pouring. I will most likely have an evening, a morning, and part of an afternoon to explore on my own. Where should I go and where should I eat?

samgyetang: ginseng chicken soup. it is said to cool you down in the sweltering humidity. don;t know about that, but what i do know is the best version of it in the universe is in Seoul. here: http://www.krsamgyetang.com/main/?skin=sub_04_01.html

two branches; one is near the palace, which you probably want to visit anyways, and there's another one near city center. if you go, get the one with abalone and wild ginseng. it's pricey but absolutely worth it.

best lowkey bar: speakeasy mortar

What part of town are you going to be in? And what types of things are you most interested in? Food or shopping or cultural/touristy stuff?

I’ll believe I will be in the southwest area, near Incheon. Not interested in sightseeing or touristy stuff. Not interested in shopping or nightlife. Very interested in food, and I won’t be paying so a little pricey is OK.

Looking forward to that. It’s one of a few Korean dishes we make at home, but I bet the rice cake and fish cake will be killer in Korea.

another must have; soy marinated crab--
Screenshot 2019-07-21 at 4.32.44 PM.png

Take the light rail/subway from the Incheon area into Seoul proper if you can, not much to see or do by Incheon. About an hour each way, but worth the trip.

For a night, I recommend heading towards Hong Dae area (Hong Ik University). Fun to walk the street and see the performers, lots of energy and fun vibe. Good restaurants all around, but my recommendation is Ichiryu. My uncle showed me this spot, very good lamb bbq in a somewhat traditional manner and a unique experience. If you want a more familiar “Western” experience, head towards Itaewon. As an American I felt comfortable there. Head towards the main alleys that run parallel to the big street on either side for food and fun.

For the next morning, if you did the proper Korean thing and drank too much (soju) the night before, you may want hangover soup. Sun jee hae jang guk (cooked blood hangover soup) at Cheongjinok (청진옥) in Jongno is an institution. For SamGaeTang (whole chicken soup) i recommend Tosokchon near
GyeongBok Goong. I go every time I find myself in Seoul.

For lunch/street food experience, GwangJang Market is unbeatable (see Netflix Street Food). The bin dae ttuk (mung bean pancake) is amazing, and soon dae (blood sausage) is delicious. For Kal Guksoo (knife noodles), my favorite is Myeong Dong Kyo Ja in Myeong Dong market. Great dumplings there too.

Back