What to inscribe on a knife in Japanese?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andur

Reaction score
Looking for a little help with kanji.
So I made a blue steel gyuto and I think to make it complete I'd like to inscribe at least something on the blade.
Can anyone suggest what to inscribe and in what letters? I'm guessing I'll use some web-based calligraphy to find a font but what kanji to write?
Maybe something like "handmade" and "blue steel" and that's it? Would that be 手作 and 安来青? And actually are they read form top to bottom? Like this?

Thanks!

Why kanji? I'd just write something that makes sense to you...
If nothing makes sense, then nothing will do

Maybe something like "handmade" and "blue steel" and that's it? Would that be 手作 and 安来青? And actually are they read form top to bottom? Like this?

Looks good to me. You can also use 手打 (hand forged) instead of 手作.

You cannot inscribe a sentence only in kanjis in Japanese (Chinese can).

The tezukuri or teuchi can be left to right.
And the Blue Steel 青鋼 can be vertical below that.
Your 安来青 would be "Yasugi Blue". If that's what you want.
The hand made and Blue Steel should not be all 4 lined up vertically.

YOsJ9rT.png

Looking for a little help with kanji.
So I made a blue steel gyuto and I think to make it complete I'd like to inscribe at least something on the blade.
Can anyone suggest what to inscribe and in what letters? I'm guessing I'll use some web-based calligraphy to find a font but what kanji to write?

You seek really cool-looking inscriptions in those exotic characters from a language not your own? Sounds like what these guys are doing...

http://www.engrish.com/

Why not use the characters of your primary language, if the knife is not made in nor for sale in Japan?

But if you insist on kanji, then the word "kanji" is written as 漢字.

Most Western makers have a makers mark, even when using Japanese steels.

Often it is a stylistic representation of their initials but it can be a picture of something important to them. For example, Kippington uses a parrot as his maker's mark.

If you put your love, sweat and tears (and maybe blood) into making the blade, I reckon you should mark it with something that is meaningful to you.

Just my 2 Bobs'.

Back