What type of knife is this? Black triangular handle, serrated blade

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SummerChef86

Reaction score
Hello there, my mother in law has been raving about "the best knife ever" for as long as I have known her and I would love to figure out anything I could about it. It is a terrible knife to use, but for whatever reason she brags and brags about it's greatness. She had purchased it in the 1980s(?) at an army base and it was listed as a knife that would never need to be sharpened (this thing is DULL). The only markings the knife is the "Stainless U.S.A." that is on the blade. Has anyone ever seen this knife or know who the manufacturer is? I would love to learn something about it or possibly be able to find another or at least learn if anything special is needed to sharpen the one she has. Thanks!
IMG_6530.jpg
IMG_6530.jpg

Welcome to the forums. Ok, that knife is a serious case. I would ignore the serrations and take it to a coarse stone. No need to fully remove the serrations. It sounds like whatever sharpening you will do can only improve the current condition of the knife.

Looks like a handsaw mated with a cheap bread knife. I don't see it being useful even in a zombie apocalypse. Unfortunately I have no idea what it is or where it came from. A Google image search seemed to think it was most similar to a golf club, no exact matches.

I've seen knives like this used in sandwich shops. I think it is more ergonomic for those who cut 1,000 sandwiches/ day in half.

Looks like a handsaw mated with a cheap bread knife. I don't see it being useful even in a zombie apocalypse. Unfortunately I have no idea what it is or where it came from. A Google image search seemed to think it was most similar to a golf club, no exact matches.
It looks like you could use it to saw a few strokes off your score...

Hey, what do I win? I’d LOVE me a bottle or six of Cote Rotie!!

My mom was born in 1912 and was racked with arthritis in her eighties. I was always keeping an eye out for things that could make her everyday life a little bit easier.

I don’t think that particular design ever made the cut.

Thanks all for the comments, got some good laughs! I would throw it away and just get her a new knife if I wasn't positive that she would catch me and try to use it on me. Luckily it wouldn't be sharp enough to cut me, may leave some burn marks from the sawing action though!

Welcome to the forums. Ok, that knife is a serious case. I would ignore the serrations and take it to a coarse stone. No need to fully remove the serrations. It sounds like whatever sharpening you will do can only improve the current condition of the knife.
Appreciate the feedback!

Back