What's good about a rounded spine?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwurwarg

Reaction score
I've read a few times about rounded spines, from them coming from the smith that way as if it's a sign of quality, or people rounding the spine on stones later. What's appealing about a rounded spine - is it performance or aesthetics, or something else?

It doesn't feel like it's cutting into your finger after 15 mins of prep. Easy to put up with until you've experienced a rounded spine but quite hard to go back once you have.

The benefits of a rounded spine are rather self-explanatory, no?

It's mostly about comfort. If you pinch grip your index finger will rest on the spine. A rounded spine is much more comfortable. On a long cutting session in a pro kitchen a roughly finished square spine can get even a little painful.

Also a little bit aesthetics too. Makes the knife a more thoroughly finished product.

For me it's about comfort however I prefer an eased as opposed to rounded spine. You'll lose some knife control and feedback if the spine doesn't have distinct shoulders.

+1 for eased spine over rounded spine.

Eased spine will still be square but with softened edges. This means comfort with a flat anchor spot for the index finger.

A rounded spine is ovalised on the spine which is more comfortable but less of a pronounced anchor for the index finger.

Personal preference generally.

It depends, for me. A fully rounded spine is needed on a laser, imo, so that it does not dig into your hand. On knives that are 2.5+mm an eased spine is fine.

+1 for eased spine over rounded spine.

Eased spine will still be square but with softened edges. This means comfort with a flat anchor spot for the index finger.

A rounded spine is ovalised on the spine which is more comfortable but less of a pronounced anchor for the index finger.

Personal preference generally.

Thanks for the extra info on the softened edges.

In terms of smithing quality, it means that the smith took the extra time and effort to work in a small, but appreciated, characteristic into the knife. Because most knives are forged from flat square stock, once hammered out, the spine is usually left around the same squareness as it started (vs the highly worked edge side, obviously). The squareness can be a quick indication of quality especially if it's a cheaper knife that was stamped in a factory press where quantity and efficiency matters more over quality. A square spine isn't the end-all-be-all of quality, just a small bonus for some.

It takes a few seconds to round a spine and a few mins more to polish it. I prefer to ease the corners but leave a flat spot so I can rest the length of my finger on the spine if i choose. Otherwise eased corners seem to do well with a pinch grip. I have noticed a lot of japanese chefs point their index fingure down the length of the blade on pull cuts. A fully rounded and polished spine can be slippery in my opinion. A choil, however, is best eased or rounded then polished. I've found no reason not to.

In terms of smithing quality, it means that the smith took the extra time and effort to work in a small, but appreciated, characteristic into the knife.

+1

I think in most cases, a rounded / polished spine and choil are indicators they've finished each blade to the highest standards. The additional labor will cost you a little extra. Some venders (& customers) prefer to save a few bucks, while some blacksmith want to save a few minutes.

Without a rounded spine, my left middle finger & right index finger take a beating!

I have rounded a couple of spines that were too sharp, but without a vise it is not an easy job. A nagura stone seemed to work better for me than sandpaper.

If you have sharp spines and haven't felt the need to round /haven't used for long enough consecutively that it's mattered to your comfort, then it doesn't really matter at the moment. For the knives I'm likely to use for longer periods of time, I at least ease the sharpest corners of the spine and choil where my fingers are, as needed

also professionals who are chopping all day with a pinch tend to develop a pretty gnarly calluses and blisters on their index finger. sharp cornered spines can make this oh so much worse and even cut into your hand.

One of my chef customers visited me about a year back. I think he's got about 30 years in the kitchen, and since seeing his hands I make damn sure the knives are fully comfy. :(

As many said that all about the comfort. Also rounded/eased choil is important. I can dig into your middle finger otherwise.

My Ikeda nakiri had a raw, uneased choil and it was immediately uncomfortable for even mild use, but I have no callouses there.

It doesn't feel like it's cutting into your finger after 15 mins of prep. Easy to put up with until you've experienced a rounded spine but quite hard to go back once you have.

+1 It's a whole new world

For me it's about comfort however I prefer an eased as opposed to rounded spine. You'll lose some knife control and feedback if the spine doesn't have distinct shoulders.

I've heard a ton of feedback on this over the years and your opinion is one of the experienced chef.

Maybe a silly question, but does it have any affect on performance in addition to aesthetic and comfort?

You can't easily peel a carrot with a rounded spine...I'm with Mucho

Nice and rounded for me, much more comfy, no noticeable loss of control...

Round please. Lose knife control? That's like losing control of your hand. I can't even remember my hand without a knife in it.

Thanks for all the input so far; very informative. So the next question is how does one go about rounding or smoothing out the spine? Stones?

Thanks for all the input so far; very informative. So the next question is how does one go about rounding or smoothing out the spine? Stones?

If you search there are some fairly extensive threads about different techniques and processes. Most involve files and sandpaper

Latest posts

Back