what's the last stone you use on your progression?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mundial's and cheap stainless is freaking horrid

Cheap stainless is always horrid:sad0:, you often can't even pull a burr on them because the steal just disintegrates on the stone. I just stick with the ceramic pull through for the soft stuff.

Be well,
Mikey

JCH : I use super stones as well and I've got a yusuke extra hardness ss petty. It gets absurdly sharp from a 400, 1k,3k, diamond strop progression. I don't find it too hard to sharpen either Definitely not a horrible experience so don't feel put off. Sharpen that bad boy up your naniwa stones will do it fine. I think the super stones being so soft have trouble with the large hard carbides found in some stainless. I guess the Swedish stainless is a lot more fine grained than the nasty ss thats put you off. Either way the superstones work with the yusuke :)

JCH : I use super stones as well and I've got a yusuke extra hardness ss petty. It gets absurdly sharp from a 400, 1k,3k, diamond strop progression. I don't find it too hard to sharpen either Definitely not a horrible experience so don't feel put off. Sharpen that bad boy up your naniwa stones will do it fine. I think the super stones being so soft have trouble with the large hard carbides found in some stainless. I guess the Swedish stainless is a lot more fine grained than the nasty ss thats put you off. Either way the superstones work with the yusuke :)

Same experience for me with my yusuke extra hardness SS gyuto, sharpens up easy i.m.o. (chosera 400, 1k; rika 5k; sometimes strop)

Now the new stones have arrived from JNS will have a try at opening that edge up finally. They did pretty well on a friends F-Dick tiny chefs knife so if that steel is OK then the Yusuke should be great. If there is interest will let y'all know how it goes.

Agree with the softness of the SS and the hard carbides in cheap stainless. Recently got a Kaiden 400 low grit stone and it is amazingly quick on cheap stainless like Mundial compared to the SS400 that could not pull a burr. That triggered getting the JNS medium stones set as I get asked to do a lot of cheap stainless steel sharpening. Plus have got enough single bevels to warrant better stones (what I tell myself). Looks like the SS will be going up on BST but might keep the 3K kinda fond of that one even though it gums up a bit.

This is the first I have heard of "Kaiden" stones. They appear to be a Chef's Armory house brand? Does anyone know who makes them?

for my personal knives, I usually stop on my 8k Kitayama (I don't use the nagura to smooth out the surface after flattening though)...for most other folks knives I stop on my 5k Mizayuma (smooth as glass that thing, but gouges easily).

If Im using dia sharp plates I go to EEF, my highest waterstone right now is a 6K..I sold my 8K Kitayama and am regretting it.

might keep the 3K kinda fond of that one even though it gums up a bit.

Gums up a bit? Now that's an understatement! If I so much as think about stropping a knife on the 3k it clogs up with anticipation.
Yet I also like it. I have absolutely no idea why.

Back