Whats your most expensive hobby?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed play Filmore East from Allmans on DVD Audio on seven independently amplified channels at 88dB. I swear I could hear Butch sweating. Talk about stage presence. Bet that would sound incredible in your setup Mauichef

Gonna shake the tree again...do you guys use DACs when listening from a PC or digital files? Purchased some multibit DACs from Schiit last year in combination with Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcards and they sound pretty damn good with my NAD 316Bee and Dali Zensor 1s. I know it's not ultra hifi but it sounds much better than your basic desktop setup. Whether you buy into the whole DAC idea, I definitely notice an improvement with them inline.

The one I use most often, out of pure convenience is a DAC and headphone amp in the form of a USB key with a 3.5mm jack . It overrides the computer's sound card and clock while drawing a little more power from the machine to drive the phones speakers. I notice a much wider soundstage and clearer highs on all of my ear and headphones when using it.

I also run an audio cable from my laptop with the DAC into a tube amp and then finally out some paradigm atom bookshelf speakers with really good results (anyone looking for some nice Canadian made speakers should consider checking out Paradigm IMO)

Gonna shake the tree again...do you guys use DACs when listening from a PC or digital files? Purchased some multibit DACs from Schiit last year in combination with Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcards and they sound pretty damn good with my NAD 316Bee and Dali Zensor 1s. I know it's not ultra hifi but it sounds much better than your basic desktop setup. Whether you buy into the whole DAC idea, I definitely notice an improvement with them inline.

I think it's fair to say that pretty much any outboard DAC is going to sound better than the computer DAC or sound card.
There are some downright amazing little DAC's out there right now. Many at basement prices.

I have a Squeezebox Touch which accesses all my computer music wirelessly attached to a nice budget DAC by Wyred 4 Sound.
AudioQuest, Schiit, Chord, Music Fidelity, all make great low priced DAC's that are a good addition to a computer audio set up.

Yeah, any digital medium needs a DAC. CD players have them too.

+1 mauichef - just about any current DAC is gonna sound really good. The development over the last 10-15 years is just amazing really. Even the DAC in my Airport Express wifi router sound totally fine if you don't run it too hot..

I remenber when I got into recording music in the 90's, getting clean non distorted audio was a real challenge. These days it is the complete opposite. You need the gear you use to add some dirt if you want the audio to have some character.

Lars

A friend of mine is pulling me down the rabbit hole of vintage HiFi. I see a pair of JBL L220 and a Revox 250 in my future a couple od years from now :)

Speaking of vintage audio, I just got my hands on a Seiki RX-2000 turntable with original RY-2200 motor, SME III S tonearm and Ortofon MC 20 Super pickup. No vacuum pump, but I didn't want that anyway.

Can't wait to get it kickin'.

Speaking of vintage audio, I just got my hands on a Seiki RX-2000 turntable with original RY-2200 motor, SME III S tonearm and Ortofon MC 20 Super pickup. No vacuum pump, but I didn't want that anyway.

Can't wait to get it kickin'.

DUDE!!!!!!
Those things rock. Love the SME/MC20 combo too. Lucky man :)

I think it's fair to say that pretty much any outboard DAC is going to sound better than the computer DAC or sound card.
There are some downright amazing little DAC's out there right now. Many at basement prices.

I have a Squeezebox Touch which accesses all my computer music wirelessly attached to a nice budget DAC by Wyred 4 Sound.
AudioQuest, Schiit, Chord, Music Fidelity, all make great low priced DAC's that are a good addition to a computer audio set up.

+1

The Squeezebox Touch (RIP) is a great little device. I was disappointed when Logitech discontinued it! I currently use mine with a server program called "Roon" that really gets the most out of that baby - even better than its native server.

Both Sonos and Bluesound offer equivalent devices if you don't use the high sample rate music that's available. This segment is growing like crazy!

+1

The Squeezebox Touch (RIP) is a great little device. I was disappointed when Logitech discontinued it! I currently use mine with a server program called "Roon" that really gets the most out of that baby - even better than its native server.

Both Sonos and Bluesound offer equivalent devices if you don't use the high sample rate music that's available. This segment is growing like crazy!

I've seen a lot of systems running Roon. Never took the time to set it up, myself. Been thinking about a Sonos modified by W4S but the price is pretty high. I really like the Auralic Aries Mini but they're not developing an app outside of Apple OS and it's been slow.

+1

I've got an Elpac symmetrical power supply fir the Squeezebox if interested.

Just about anything will be better than the onboard MB. audio. However, an ext. DAC still has to be a part of a
coherent system. If you run the DAC output into a pair of 6" tall PC speakers powered by a wall puck you will still have
crap sound. The package I'm running is not Audiophile grade but is good enough for my 66 yr..old ears

HT Omega Claro Halo : The output stage Op-Amps are swap-able for end user tuneing
the card feeds a Audio Source AMP One-A via Tara Labs Patch Cables
The speakers are Infinity Primus 162's

Playing something like Wagner's Ride of The Valkyrie in a 12x14 office will make you teeth vibrate

I've got an Elpac symmetrical power supply fir the Squeezebox if interested.

Did it make any difference? I have read several posts about it and it seems to be a mixed bag of yes I hear it, no I don't.

I use a Wyred4Sound uDAC with Remedy reclocker as my DAC. Makes a huge difference. It transforms the already not bad SB Touch into a genuine HiFi component.
I am amazed at the difference.

I need to check out Roon I guess.

Aashy2classy...have you seen the new Oppo streamer? That thing looks dope and if it up to their BR player standards will probably be a game changer!

I've seen a lot of systems running Roon. Never took the time to set it up, myself. Been thinking about a Sonos modified by W4S but the price is pretty high. I really like the Auralic Aries Mini but they're not developing an app outside of Apple OS and it's been slow.

I had not heard about Roon until now. Just checked it out and I don't think it's for me...especially at the price. I can't say I like Squeezeplayer much but at least it's free. $500 seems a bit steep for music player software.
I do wish there was a better software solution for my SB Touch however.

Pro audio is the way to go. Dac with built in pre, direct connect through xlr to powered monitors. I run an old setup but seriously good fidelity. Mytek stero96 feeding jbl 6325 via mogami cables. Only improvement I would consider is a better usb-spdif conversion as I'm using a cheap Roland unit.

Keep in mind, this coming from a guy with full sized reference Dali speakers matched with Bryston monoblocks that haven't been fired up in years, at least two years that I know of. His coffee makers works well though, even though I don't drink espresso.

Bryston is a stereo amp, and was sent off to their factory for an overhaul last summer and brought to newer specs (it is ~25 years old). Speakers are Von Schweikerts. So :nunchucks:

Preamp is down though -- been trying to get a new set of tubes from a shop in CA, but that has gone nowhere in 2 months. Going to cut bait next week and get a set of different tubes either from the original manufacturer or from a different shop. The wife has been moving her office to the den, so the stereo system should be migrating up to the family room later this year where it should get some use again. Luca is 4, and it is high time he learned how to play the air guitar to AC/DC :biggrin:
Well relocated the system to the family room, but it looks like I am now in the market for a new/ used preamp. The manufacturer recommended I do not throw money into, as it needs repair + tubes. Been scouring Audiogon, craigslist, etc. the last couple of days. I think I want to stick with a tube preamp, but may opt for a solid state preamp w/ built-in DAC as a short-term solution.

Decided to try a handbuilt preamp from Don Sachs. To me, it's similar to buying a knife from custom knifemaker instead of a mass-market knife. There is about an 8 week build time, so it's actually faster then a lot of knifemakers :) I wish I could have it by the ECG, but looks like it won't likely arrive until a month later. i am definitely looking forward to hearing music from a decent system again, as it has been quite a while.

That's taking an, er, backseat again. I need a new set of track wheels and tires (due to theft out of my carport), new harnesses and a new helmet in addition to just getting it back together. I was planning on being ready by the end of July, but now we have family plans for the track weekend in August. So I really do not need it to be ready before the end of October.

Luca is just getting to the point now where he can occupy himself, so that will help later in the summer when I need to be out working on the car. The wife takes/ teaches classes on both Saturday and Sunday, so I have to be watching Luca while I am working.

I spend wayyy too much money on RC stuff ... both cars and planes. Last year, when I discovered the wealth of great used RC stuff to be had on the German version of craigslist I spent over 2000€ on planes and cars and the various stuff required to keep them running. It's quite incredible how much money one can sink into this hobby. But I live a very frugal life otherwise - no expensive holidays, no eating out, no nice clothes, no drinking, I drive a base version 2009 Fiat Panda, so I have enough left over to afford the hobby. Only problem is the space in my basement is running out.

I recently fell into the rabbit hole of collecting vintage Gillette DE razors. Started out modest enough, but that only lasted a week or two. :whistling: Now I'm up to 40 razors and counting. Then some of the presentation cases are missing the period correct razor blades/blade banks so I have to track them down.

So, this just happened.
IMG_20170522_190039.jpg

Back