Whats your most expensive hobby?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Catching these, and letting them go
billedblue.jpg

Catching these, and eating them
Threeofus.jpg

Boating. As the saying goes, it's a hole in the water you dump money into.

I was fairly active into watches. Have sold most over the last couple year but still have 3.

I've got about a hundred bottles of wine in the cellar but most are on the mid- or lower end of the price spectrum. Still it adds up so that probably qualifies.

Few expenses are like boating. I grew up in Plymouth, MA on the waterfront as a Portuguese pilgrim. Last boat we had was a 32' Lures w/flybridge and a nice useful 15' beam. Nothings cheap to fix, catch or to put up for the winter.

However, the cost brings you the privilege and freedom of sailing on the open sea, sometimes for the hell of it, sometimes for discovery, for the hunt. Its been years since then, I'm a land-lobber now but try to get offshore once a year to fish for grouper or albacore.

Bodine, that's a ridiculous fish. Your dad must have been proud! What gear did you use to get catch it? Once I started tying braid right to the hook, I could never go back to mono or even top-shot mono.

Diving and all that is connected to it: the dives, the gears and mostly traveling to nice diving spots.

I collect street art. Have a giant wall in my loft covered with pieces...have spent way too much money then I should comfortably admit. I also used to collect adidas sneakers, but I've managed to break myself of that habit. Oh, and wine...have about 150 bottles of wine here too.

So there you go, I drink wine in my vintage adidas and stare at my walls, while using my expensive Japanese knives to make dinner. :doublethumbsup:

I collect street art. Have a giant wall in my loft covered with pieces...have spent way too much money then I should comfortably admit. I also used to collect adidas sneakers, but I've managed to break myself of that habit. Oh, and wine...have about 150 bottles of wine here too.

So there you go, I drink wine in my vintage adidas and stare at my walls, while using my expensive Japanese knives to make dinner. :doublethumbsup:

Nice combo! Though my first mental image of 'wine in my vintage adidas' was probably not what you actually meant...

First Jon got me hooked on CIEMs (which I have on order now) and now another friend of mine is trying me to pull down the rabbit hole of vintage HiFi (there I am still resisting), so we shall see how long knifemaking will keep the leed.

We've always been collectors. Cameras, Jim Beam bottles, American muscle cars, Art Books, Automotive Books. Just loved driving around the country finding cool stuff.

Now we have scaled back to Hifi and music (vinyl)
About 10,000 albums and a monster stereo.
Krell EVO 202 pre, 402e power, 505 SACD. SME 20/12 turntable, Soundsmith Strain Gauge cartridge , Revel Ultima Salon 2 speakers. Stupid priced cables!

Fortunately I have a very understanding wife who loves knives...and earrings!!!!!

We've always been collectors. Cameras, Jim Beam bottles, American muscle cars, Art Books, Automotive Books. Just loved driving around the country finding cool stuff.

Krell EVO 202 pre, 402e power, 505 SACD. SME 20/12 turntable, Soundsmith Strain Gauge cartridge , Revel Ultima Salon 2 speakers. Stupid priced cables!

Fortunately I have a very understanding wife who loves knives...and earrings!!!!!

that's some serious hifi stuff, the Krell's alone is worthy of cloud 9 status.

Definitely fishing/boating and high end audio for me! I hate having hobbies haha

A bajillion points for this

Bodine, that's a ridiculous fish. Your dad must have been proud! What gear did you use to get catch it? Once I started tying braid right to the hook, I could never go back to mono or even top-shot mono.

The yellowfin dad caught was with a Shimano 50W, bent butt , stand up gear. 140# +or-, he was 75 at the time, really proud of him for
doing it all on his own. We hammered them that morning, 1100#s by noon between the three of us.
The blue is in the 6-700# class, Shimano 80W and a fighting chair.

Boating. As the saying goes, it's a hole in the water you dump money into.

I was fairly active into watches. Have sold most over the last couple year but still have 3.

I've got about a hundred bottles of wine in the cellar but most are on the mid- or lower end of the price spectrum. Still it adds up so that probably qualifies.

One hundred? That is just stocking up for a few months... I think I am about to or have just cracked the 400 bottle mark. Need to update my SS

This about sums it up.

Still in the process of setting things up, building tools and skills.

It certainly claims my spare cash and attention.

Loving it though! :D

tank-forge-alive.jpg

Wowsa! Post a pic or two if you can. Setting up a proper system for vinyl is intense. Looks like you've got that covered! ;o)

Wowsa! Post a pic or two if you can. Setting up a proper system for vinyl is intense. Looks like you've got that covered! ;o)

The table sits on a high tech Finite Elemente Pagode wall shelf. It basically isolates the whole shebang from the rest of the room. 2 hard ball bearings touching a flat plate are the only contact points between it and the wall. Amazing design and perfectly isolated.
Setting the table up is a long job but worth it when the gear is so sensitive to changes. I use a USB microscope, test records etc for the critical angles. It did help to have Peter Lederman, The Soundsmith SG cartridge designer/builder, stay at our house :)

2cf2xbm.jpg

Looks likely to give some nasty reflections..

Lars

That says nothing about the room :D

Kidding - as long as you enjoy listening it's all good..

Lars

Given the concern for audio gear, and installation, I'd wager it sounds pretty good too.

However, room acoustics are probably the biggest bang for the buck to improve listenability of anyone's setup. There's lots of different ways to achieve a balanced room that both lively and flat at the same time.

Given that this room has both hardwood floors, hard walls and glass windows. Id conject to say the room is very fast and lively. Bebop probly sounds absolutely lovely.

Whats the manufacturer of the speakers?

I've fallen love with Magico, but I don't have the cash to to reawaken that hobby.

http://magico.net/product/ultimate.php

Part of the enjoyment of listening is the environment. Some like it dark(ish), and are happy down in the basement. For me, I would say "screw you" to proper room setup and enjoy listening while looking out through my large glass windows over Maui. That would make anything sound better then listening in the DC area :cool2:

That says nothing about the room :D

Kidding - as long as you enjoy listening it's all good..

Lars

Hi Lars.
But the photo says nothing either. It was staged like this for a shot I took years ago, when i first got my speakers.
Yes the room is lively but you would be surprised how controlled it is too. Very high ceilings.
The speakers are positioned far into the room which is very large hexagon. Lots of wall hangings, soft furniture and rugs.
Perfect...maybe not.
Best of a situation...yes. I've spent hours and hours working it.
I also sit very close to the speakers, about 8 feet from the baffles, when I'm doing critical listening.
The photo makes it look much worse than it is...it really does sound bloody good :)

Given the concern for audio gear, and installation, I'd wager it sounds pretty good too.

However, room acoustics are probably the biggest bang for the buck to improve listenability of anyone's setup. There's lots of different ways to achieve a balanced room that both lively and flat at the same time.

Given that this room has both hardwood floors, hard walls and glass windows. Id conject to say the room is very fast and lively. Bebop probly sounds absolutely lovely.

Whats the manufacturer of the speakers?

I've fallen love with Magico, but I don't have the cash to to reawaken that hobby.

http://magico.net/product/ultimate.php

So very true Mucho. But like I said to Lars...you would be surprised how un-lively the room is.
Most music types sound pretty good..it really doesn't favor stuff. I'm no Hip Hop, grunge or bass heavy fan which would sound pretty nasty here.
Vocals and small jazz/rock ensembles are like they are in the room with you. It is scary good.
Large bands and orchestras need volume and they are a bit diffused if I'm getting hyper critical. But they still have pace and the tonal balance is really good too.

Room acoustics are certainly a black art! But I'm pretty happy with my set up considering the compromises we have to make if there is no dedicated listening room available...or wanted.
I work every day on my dining table in that large space and can listen to this system all day. So I think the trade offs are well worth it.

The speakers are Revel Ultima Salon 2 speakers.
Rated as among the best in Stereophile a few years ago by Atkinson and Fremmer.

I was a B+W 801 user prior to the revelation.
Yes, I also think Magicos are magical.
But I managed to steal the Revels otherwise I too would looking in from the outside!

Part of the enjoyment of listening is the environment. Some like it dark(ish), and are happy down in the basement. For me, I would say "screw you" to proper room setup and enjoy listening while looking out through my large glass windows over Maui. That would make anything sound better then listening in the DC area :cool2:

Hahahaha That's funny WidBoar......And that is exactly what I am doing right now....without the screw you bit :)

But seriously...it's fine for people to notice and comment on these things. I have seen some HUGE money blown on systems that should never have happened. A low or mid priced system correctly set up can blow away a big buck one if it is mismatched or badly installed.
That is why i spent money and time on the room treatments and equipment foundations. They really make a difference when used correctly and appropriately.

And a REALLY good record cleaner!

Aloha!

Keep in mind, this coming from a guy with full sized reference Dali speakers matched with Bryston monoblocks that haven't been fired up in years, at least two years that I know of. His coffee makers works well though, even though I don't drink espresso.

Back