What's your sharpness test?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karloevaristo

Banned
Reaction score
I typically go up to 5k only... I found out that if my edge don't cut paper smoothly when i finish on my 500 grit (burs removed/reduced) then there's no point in moving up... So i kind of test for sharpness at the beginning... And just carefully polish that edge carefully with a 1000grit and 5000grit making sure i don't f the edge up... By doing this i almost always get the best results... And it sort of lasts longer too...

How about you guys? Paper test? Shaving test?

Cutting paper is a good test, shaving hair only for when you want fine edge (edge that has nice tooth for tomato skin will feel a little bitey with this test and may irritate your skin). Nail test is also nice to see whether you left some spot not properly sharpened or with some burr left. But also cutting tomato or apple skin with very little pressure is very practical because it is very close to the actual application. The 3 finger test is also a good one.

I often use the shaving test since I am finishing my knives on 6000 (in the near future on little less) and after 6000 the edge should shave very nicely. Then I use the nail and 3 finger test. I cut paper rarely these days, only with knives where it is a little harder to put fine edge on (e.g. honesuki because of the steep edge bevel angle)

I've been known to circumcise a gnat.

Just sayin'.........

whittle_hair.jpg

Form a two inch roll of phone book paper slice perpendicular through it. The edge should not slide but immediately grab. Three finger test is mandatory. How else does on feel the edge safely?

root vegetable based dinner. (yes, this is the sharpness test thread, I'm aware :3)

I like arm hair shave.. Something strangely satisfying about it. I also like cutting food !. I'm not sure I really understand the three finger test. Is it that you put three fingers on the edge and feel for sharpness ? Your brain telling you to stop ?. Am I way off base ?

I like arm hair shave.. Something strangely satisfying about it. I also like cutting food !. I'm not sure I really understand the three finger test. Is it that you put three fingers on the edge and feel for sharpness ? Your brain telling you to stop ?. Am I way off base ?

I like using this and the thumbnail test...then cut a bunch of food.:)

[video=youtube;2k1o70tMHYM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k1o70tMHYM[/video]

I like the arm hair test except for the pitying looks I get sometimes from people that think I've started chemo and the hair is coming out of my arms in patches.

I just bought a 100 pack of tissue paper. It is good to test if you have a consistent edge.

The transition area between the flat area and the tip is where I usually don't do a perfect job.

Then of course going through produce.

I habitually use a combination of two things. Putting two or three fingertips against the blade at an acute angle, and pulling (Softly! Though still not a great idea) back. The other is placing the edge on my thumbnail at a ~45° angle and trying to slide the blade into the edge, at various points of the edge. It shouldn't slide at all. Something that I've found is often missed (students, etc.) is ensuring a burr no longer exists in any perceptible way. Feeling no burr is the step to be taken before it's worth testing "sharpness".

I habitually use a combination of two things. Putting two or three fingertips against the blade at an acute angle, and pulling (Softly! Though still not a great idea) back.

That's exactly the way I do it as well, and feeling for burr of course. Then shave some arm hair or try a hanging hair test (depends of what kind of sharpness I'm looking for and what kind of knife... some knives I like with a little more bite and therefore maybe a little less absolute sharpness)... my girlfriend always shouts at me when she sees my arms afterwards... kind hide that I sharpened knives :lol2:

Another test I use quite often is the lying push cut of a tomato staying on the board without supply.

Regards, Iggy

I try to check for two things. One is acuity...something like shaving arm hair a bit above the skin. The other is to check for overpolishing by doing cuts that might slip...tomato skins, oblique cuts into smooth loose plastic or paper, or similar.

Whatever works. I don't especially care for touch-testing, but that's just me.

All of the above...

But mostly three finger and thumbnail. Also, has anyone else taken a knife back to the stones if it doesn't sound right cutting paper?

Back