When a knife has you beat

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More like a clear sign that knife forum members are taking full advantage of the wave of marijuana legalization laws across the country .

When the Medical weed store opened here about a week ago they ran out the first day a line of folks along the sidewalk.:angryspin:

My Takamura R2 only sees a 4K gesshin soaker easy even burr.

Sharpened my CCK's on a big King brick, the store in Chinatown where I have bought all my CCK has rather aggressive stones that they sell.

When the Medical weed store opened here about a week ago they ran out the first day a line of folks along the sidewalk.:angryspin:

My Takamura R2 only sees a 4K gesshin soaker easy even burr.

Sharpened my CCK's on a big King brick, the store in Chinatown where I have bought all my CCK has rather aggressive stones that they sell.
Funny thing I realized recently was that a lot of my friends that smoke weed regularly never had any desire to open a pot shop or medical marijuana office. I don't know a single one that tried to apply for one either.

I have no idea what i'm reading. I mean, i recognize the individual words, but the sharpening jargon is beyond me.

I have stones, i have knives, and i somehow manage to get a sharp enough edge on my knives through sheer luck.

I hope one day to participate in this convo.

I've seen chefs in London's chinatown use coarse looking stones, but one dude caught my eye by using some sort of hand held stone, keeping the knife in a clamp of sorts. I usually get my brick sized pieces of soft stone from the supermarkets there, but have never seen one of these handheld things.
HPoirot; there's a lot of words on http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/2023-Kitchen-Knife-Glossary which I found pretty bloody useful when starting out

I have no idea what i'm reading. I mean, i recognize the individual words, but the sharpening jargon is beyond me.

I have stones, i have knives, and i somehow manage to get a sharp enough edge on my knives through sheer luck.

I hope one day to participate in this convo.
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Those are some honest words panda. We like to pretend we know how fairies make pixie dust and how dwarves made those ancient metal golems but in reality we dont understand the 1s and 0s behind the computer but in reality we are just happy being able to swipe on a touch screen and type with our hands free.

Okay, I should have proof read that last post. Stupid android app. AARRGGGHHHH!

the only things i know are what has worked and hasnt worked for me. i like to pretend i know the why's, but honestly i'm just talking outta my ass, and so is everyone else. the ones who tell you otherwise are full of sh*t.

Most if not all new inventions are done through trial and error until something eventually works. When a knife has you beat, you just have not done enough trial and error. Either that, or the knife maker that experimented on your blade had the flu and was off their A game, assuming they have enough skill to have an A game, which we all know many a knife maker does not.

the only things i know are what has worked and hasnt worked for me. i like to pretend i know the why's, but honestly i'm just talking outta my ass, and so is everyone else. the ones who tell you otherwise are full of sh*t.
Experience through doing is the best way to learn... It might cost a pretty penny but it's more fun!

Well, in all seriousness, there are fundamental engineering principles that apply to sharpening, and I follow them in the particular applications I describe. And yes, these "underlying" principles are most often arrived at by trial and error, with initially some inductive reasoning of what principles might be inferred by our observations.

And when you put about a 60deg inclusive microbevel in and it can catch a hanging hair and whittle a whisker on it, well then you know what you've done has worked for you, and the principles are valid. And yes I do need edges like that to slice things <1mm with consistancy, and yes my daily prep involves that, in case anyone was wondering.

Exactly. It's not so much the process itself nor acquiring a feeling that you know your ****. It's all about the end result and learning from what did and did not work. I've been free-hand sharpening my own knives for a little less than 5 years and every single time I touch the stones I learn something new...that's what I enjoy about fishing and hunting as well, you can fish the same lake or hunt the same valley multiple times but every individual situation offers new variables and with those comes learning opportunities.

If there's one thing in life I've noticed is that 99.9% of self-christened "experts" on anything are in reality only experts at a single, hyper-compartmentalized niche area of something.

Embrace your ignorance and gain knowledge

And yes I do need edges like that to slice things <1mm with consistancy, and yes my daily prep involves that, in case anyone was wondering.

isn't this why they invented food processors and mandolins?
I mean 1/16 in cuts are 1.6mm...are you doing 1/32 cuts for 'prep',
(or am I misunderstanding?)

Good luck doing decorative type stuff with a food processor or mandolin

isn't this why they invented food processors and mandolins?
I mean 1/16 in cuts are 1.6mm...are you doing 1/32 cuts for 'prep',
(or am I misunderstanding?)

1/16 inch (.062"/1.5mm)? Ahahaha, with celery for instance, between .01-.02" (.25-.5mm) as I knock them off machine-gun fire rapid. Onion I like at .75mm, bit in the relatively large and inconsistent product it will vary from .5-1.5mm. Tomato will slice .5mm, and even less, but heck, 1mm is fine and any less is just done for the fun of it.

Garlic is a wonderful flavor garnish at 1mm or less, believe it or not this one is tougher than celery to get thin, as is shallot. Scapes are mushy and you really need a super-keen blade to deal effectively here.

Back