Where do you shop for knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top 3 sites and or shops.

RealSharpKnife
Burrfection Store
Sugi

Bonus question if you want,
What's your go to for Unicorns?

It's not just riki tiki tavi. I would do the same with any charlatan. Please don't let that ever come off your keyboard again.

What's wrong with Burrfection? I'm probably missing some context, I'm not from the US.

I'm pretty new around here, but from what I understand, folks have mixed feelings about Ryky's business practices re: scalping etc.

Can someone tell a bit more about it? I watched his sharpening videos and it was useful, he seemed like a honest guy so I'd appreciate some insight.

Can someone tell a bit more about it? I watched his sharpening videos and it was useful, he seemed like a honest guy so I'd appreciate some insight.
In the past he's had the habit of recommending stuff he was sent from companies to review, like Dalstrong's for example. "Scratch my back, scratch your back" type deals. Which isn't necessarily bad... unless everything the company sent you suddenly becomes "must buys" or "the best".

In the past he's had the habit of recommending stuff he was sent from companies to review, like Dalstrong's for example. "Scratch my back, scratch your back" type deals. Which isn't necessarily bad... unless everything the company sent you suddenly becomes "must buys" or "the best".
Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong here...but from what I understand, he'll often buy up a bunch of stock of a popular knife, stamp his name on it, call it a collab, and charge $200 more.

He definitely gets a lot of hate for the wrong reasons, too...people resent his popularity, for example. He was a bit of a first-to-market in the YT knife channel space and he gained a lot of followers quite quickly on what many folks consider to be little merit.

But as pointed out, there are good reasons to be wary of him. Frankly, I don't think he comes off as very honest, so I'm surprised you think that. But maybe I'm biased because I've already heard some of the stories.

He's not necessarily wrong or shady all the time. Take him with many grains of salt.

Also a broken clock is right twice a day.

The amount of salt grains you talking about: 😂
1637794061134.png

He definitely gets a lot of hate for the wrong reasons, too...people resent his popularity, for example. He was a bit of a first-to-market in the YT knife channel space and he gained a lot of followers quite quickly on what many folks consider to be little merit.

But as pointed out, there are good reasons to be wary of him. Frankly, I don't think he comes off as very honest, so I'm surprised you think that. But maybe I'm biased because I've already heard some of the stories.

You know, I only know him from his sharpening yt videos, and he shared good tips and detailed instructions on how to do it right, so I felt thankful for that. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention, or maybe I'm too trusting, dunno. Nevertheless thank you guys for advice and your opinions.

You know, I only know him from his sharpening yt videos, and he shared good tips and detailed instructions on how to do it right, so I felt thankful for that. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention, or maybe I'm too trusting, dunno. Nevertheless thank you guys for advice and your opinions.

He just has this "oh, silly me" vibe that comes off as a bit fake, to me. But I don't dislike him. I think he got famous/successful too fast and he let it change him, and it has made him a bit of a polarizing icon. I have gotten useful information from his channel as well--credit where it's due.

The amount of salt grains you talking about: 😂
View attachment 153518

Don't knock yourself, tons of people feel the same way when they encounter his videos. And he does have some legitimate advice so it lends to his credibility. But, once you've been doing this for a while you realize that the legit things he says are pretty fundamental. Then you start picking up on things like how he doesn't think you need to flatten your stones and such.

I long ago clicked on the "Don't Recommend Channel" feature for that guy.

Look to Japanese Knife Imports, Big Brown Bear, Peter Nowlan, and many others for sharpening info and demo's. :)

Back