Which Gyuto and Deba should I buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaphb

Reaction score
Dear all,

Interested in acquiring a deba, and looking at some offerings on ebay around US$75 mark. Any advice, experiences, pros, cons, would be appreciated.
I'm answering the famous questionnaire below:

KNIFE TYPE: 8" to 9" Gyuto and 6" or 7" Deba

Are you right or left handed? Yes. I mean, right ;-)

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? both are fine. I'm comfortable with Wusthof classic handles, but have recently started using a Shun, and happy with that too.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 8" to 9" for a gyuto, 6" to 7" inches for a deba.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $150 for gyuto, $100 for deba.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
General purpose, including fish and chicken.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
: A Wusthof 8" chef's knife. Also have an 8" Shun. May keep that, or give it away.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch but recently

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Most frequently push chopping, occasionally slicing fish and chicken.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
I prefer heavier knives. I cook at home on a small scale, so prolonged use is not an issue.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
I'm leaning towards a high carbon steel. Happy to look after the knives, and am able to sharpen them on stones as and when needed. Reprofiled old German knife to a smaller angle, and preferred how it worked as long as it stayed sharp.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Yes

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes - eventually. Already have a couple of fine grit stones.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Considering the sub $75 debas in the following (and similar) ebay searches. Any experiences, anything here I should stay away from etc? Same people also offer gyutos.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_...3.TR0.TRC0.Xdeba&_nkw=deba&_sacat=0&_from=R40

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_...3.TR0.TRC0.Xdeba&_nkw=deba&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Aesthetics are not paramount, but some of these Japanese knives are gorgeous. I especially like the clad carbon steel knives that show patina on the edge, but not on elsewhere etc. I find cheaper Japanese handles comfortable, but ugly. Would like advice on upgrading to an octagonal handle at some point.

I actually kind of think the western styled Fuijwara Kanefusa from bluewayjapan looks cool if your not into cheap handles that thing looks sweet I dont know how it performs though...couple of starter knives would be a fujiwara FKM, Tojiro DP, Carbonext more expensive options the Hiromoto AS (its western) or the Misono Swedish

take a look around japanesechefknives.com where are you located?

For the Deba I was thinking a Tanaka 165mm from Metalmaster-ww.com? He has them starting from US$55.

I don't own a Tanaka knife myself but I have read some good reviews here and there. Lots of bang for your buck.

Tanaka's performance is great for the $$ if you want to lose a little bit at the F&F of the handle you can always get a custom handle if you want though

I think the handles are fine for what they are. Tanaka usually leaves a pretty rough spine and choil, though. Also, reactivity is sky high. The single bevels have a surprisingly even blade road, at least on the four damascus blue steel versions I've seen.

That sekiso damascus series has always intrigued me

Gosh - the Sekiso look wonderful! Kohetsu Aogami Super gyutos are pretty intriguing too. Not Damascus, but have a look:

http://www.**************.com/rikoaosu21gy.html

So how about those cheap debas on ebay guys? Any thoughts? Should I risk it, or keep away? The finish in the ebay pictures looks fine.

being new here you do not know this but you can not post links to that site here just letting you know buddy

Regarding the "sekiso damascus" - can't we just call it the "Tanaka blue steel", as it used to be known. Much cheaper from Metalmaster iirc.

yes you should check out metal-master.jp for the Tanaka instead of there get both tanaka deba and gyuto from him maybe the handles wont be GREAT but they will be ok and you can always change them out

I've got a Tanaka petty from metal-mater.jp and I like it. I flipped the handle to be lefty and sanded it a bit, but I still think I may do a re-handle. But the blade is quite nice. I don't find it too terribly reactive, but as a reference point, my previous carbon petty was a Tojiro ITK. It was reactive, so I did a hot vinegar soak to develop a patina. The hot vinegar soak removed most of the kurouchi finish, and then it was REALLY reactive.

A single edge deba is a specialized blade combining a high weight and a fine edge. It's my understanding that cheap single bevels lead invariably to big disappointments.
What do you intend to use the deba for you can't do with a larger gyuto? I would buy one large gyuto and see.
Please be aware that the heavier Japanese chef's knives with a Western handle are usually somewhat blade-heavy, while your Wüsthof is strongly handle-heavy. The feeling is very different. The extra weight of a hand-heavy knife gives a lot of fatigue, the blade-heavy weight works for you, IMHO.

What do you intend to use the deba for you can't do with a larger gyuto? I would buy one large gyuto and see.

A large gyuto is not a substitute for a smaller to mid-sized Deba when cutting fish, or vice versa.

Thanks Benuser. What kind of issues arise from cheap single bevel knives? How to avoid them?

My thinking is I should start with a cheap knife, learn to use and sharpen it, then get a better one. What do you reckon?

... cheap single bevels lead invariably to big disappointments.
What do you intend to use the deba for you can't do with a larger gyuto?

Thanks Benuser. I need the deba for fish and chicken. I keep reading gyutos are not suitable for that - they can chip.

What kind of issues arise from cheap single bevel knives? How to avoid them?

My thinking is I should start with a cheap knife, learn to use and sharpen it, then get a better one. What do you reckon?

Have no personal experience with said cheap single bevels, but the professional sharpeners here may explain why a hastily produced single bevel blade will warp.
Besides, they require the owner to "open" them before first use, to apply a particular sharpening procedure.
I can't imagine tasks where a gyuto would chip and a Japanese single bevelled blade wouldn't.

I've ordered a stone and a tanaka santoku from metalmaster about a month ago, but no delivery/ e mail response( which is quite normal) for almost a month, so I raised a paypal dispute.
Takesi san sent me a mail saying 'sorry reply delay, sorry knife/stone out of stock' and refunded my money back.
I've just checked the website and everything's still 'in stock' according to the website. Quite strange.
It's not a biggy for me as I've had good experience with him before, but this time I was a bit down due to the fact that I've waited a month for nothing :(
Just letting you guys know with my recent experience before you go on with purchase.

As you are in Australia go through JCK you cannot beat $7 postage trust me. Koki is a reputable seller. The other site you mentioned is not.

The entry level carbon gyuto from JCK is the fujiwara fkh 210: $73 240: $82

They have a nice mid range gyuto: Hiromoto AS 210:$135 240: $161

It really is up to you to decide what is right for you right now... Entry level or midrange .

On that note you didn't mention if you can sharpen? If yes, great if not... Are you willing to learn?
Also are you aware not a lot of J knives come sharp OOTB?

About the deba...why do you feel you need one?
What tasks specifically would you use if for?
Traditionally it is used to fillet fish in a way very different than we westerners do...you tube it...
Basically it works by going through fish bones as aposed to around them . As for chicken are you planning on cutting through chicken bone? If so why? I'm not trying to talk you out of a purchase just making sure your aware of a few things first.
You can break a chicken down without touching bones with a petty/ boning knife.
You can also fillet small to medium fish by going along/around / up and over bones.. Also with a petty . Using this method you won't go through bones so you won't need a deba. Also pettys are cheaper and a lot easier to sharpen.
It sounds like cheap debas might not be so easy... However I have no facts or experience to base that statement on . If you are talking about carving a roast chicken you could do that with a gyuto if you wanted to without dinging your edge on a bone...

Thanks so much Geo.

Yes I have been learning sharpening on steels recently. I have reprofiled an old European style knives to (nearly) Japanese angles, and I like how they cut, and I've enjoyed the sharpening process. I am now curious about how carbon steel is different from what I'm used to - how it will perform and sharpen. So now I feel it is time to invest in a couple of good knives.

Re deba, yes - my impression was that Japanese knives are specialized, and it's best not to keep a gyuto away from bones. Also, I am already used to heavier European style (all be it cheap Chinese made) knives, and their tactile feedback. I found the cheap debas on ebay, and figured if they're not completely rubbish, they may serve as a nice heavy duty knife when I don't want to risk the gyuto.

I have used a Shun gyuto before, but I never a deba, so tbh I don't know what I'm getting into.

Sorry - I meant sharpening on stones - from 240 to 6000 grit.

Re deba, yes - my impression was that Japanese knives are specialized, and it's best not to keep a gyuto away from bones. Also, I am already used to heavier European style (all be it cheap Chinese made) knives, and their tactile feedback. I found the cheap debas on ebay, and figured if they're not completely rubbish, they may serve as a nice heavy duty knife when I don't want to risk the gyuto.
I have used a Shun gyuto before, but I never a deba, so tbh I don't know what I'm getting into.
you may want to consider western deba or all-purpose Chinese cleaver

You better spend almost your entire budget on a large gyuto, and use the change for a Victorinox boning knife or petty.
And for rough tasks you still have your Europeans I guess.

For the Deba I was thinking a Tanaka 165mm from Metalmaster-ww.com? He has them starting from US$55.

I don't own a Tanaka knife myself but I have read some good reviews here and there. Lots of bang for your buck.

I have one, and can recommend it. I use it more for poultry than for fish, but it works well for both.

IME, Tanaka's damascus is more reactive than his other blades.

Back