Which knives should I buy? ~10" gyuto, ~3" petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bolt Thrower

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
9.5-11" gyuto
2.75-3.25" petty / paring

Are you right or left handed?

right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

japanese style only. prefer octagonal to rounded but either type works.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

gyuto: 9.5" minimum, 11" max

petty: 2.75" minimum, 3.25" max

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No, any steel type is open for consideration, clad or mono.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

Looking to spend up to $250 on the gyuto, and up to $150 on the petty

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

high volume pro kitchen

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

gyuto for prepping a variety of food types whether dicing veggies or breaking down a salmon.

petty for tip focused cuts.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

gyuto is replacing a 10" victorinox narrow chef knife. my other japanese style gyuto is 200mm and I find it smaller than I'd like for certain tasks.

petty will be used instead of a spyderco zcut. the spyderco has a flexible 4.4" blade, and while its a handy and versatile little knife, I want something with a shorter, stiffer blade for precision tip cuts.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

pinch grip, side grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Rocking cuts with the gyuto, paring knife a mix of in hand cuts and cutting board work.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Compared to the Victorinox I want the gyuto to have a harder steel with superior edge retention. I want a more ergonomic wa style handle. I want thinner geometry than the Victorinox comes with. I want a taller blade than the Victorinox narrow 10" chef comes with.

The petty I want to have a shorter blade than my current paring knife (4.4" and 4"), and a stiffer blade that has less lateral flex.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

I'm not very concerned with the blade finish. I prefer an octagonal wood wa handle. Not concerned about scratch or stain resistance.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Don't care about rounded spines or choils, I can do it myself if need be. Prefer lighter knives with a neutral balance. I like large wa handles, I have larger than average hand size.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

I appreciate good sharpening response.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

Looking for a combination of good sharpening response and good edge retention within budget constraints.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

synthetic.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Already own them.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Here are some models I'm considering:

https://carbonknifeco.com/products/tsunehisa-as-kurouchi-gyuto-240mm?_pos=85&_sid=50b00d866&_ss=r

https://carbonknifeco.com/products/tsunehisa-ginsan-migaki-gyuto-240mm?_pos=31&_sid=12f973ce4&_ss=r

https://carbonknifeco.com/collections/tsunehisa-knives/products/tsunehisa-g3-ginsan-gyuto-240mm

https://www.**************.com/yavgdawagy24.html
https://carbonknifeco.com/collectio...hira-imojiya-st-tsuchime-damascus-paring-75mm
https://carbonknifeco.com/collections/tsunehisa-knives/products/tsunehisa-ginsan-nashiji-petty-80mm
https://carbonknifeco.com/products/tsunehisa-as-migaki-petty-80mm?_pos=22&_sid=5857cf668&_ss=r
edit: what's the story with the cktg link being censored?

I bought one of those G3 knives as a present. I didn't use it, but I sharpened it and was very, very impressed. I would love to try one. But on your list, I'd think the AS would make more sense for its edge retention.

I would also consider Shiro Kamo. His R2 is above your price point, but he makes very affordable Blue no. 2 and AS blades that I think would be perfect for you.

I bought one of those G3 knives as a present. I didn't use it, but I sharpened it and was very, very impressed. I would love to try one. But on your list, I'd think the AS would make more sense for its edge retention.

I would also consider Shiro Kamo. His R2 is above your price point, but he makes very affordable Blue no. 2 and AS blades that I think would be perfect for you.
I like the looks of the shiro kamo. Know anyone that has a 240-270mm gyuto in stock?

Tsunehisa has a 10" gyuto built the same as the petty I'm considering too. They have a clean look and AS seems like a good steel choice.
https://carbonknifeco.com/products/tsunehisa-as-migaki-gyuto-240mm?_pos=35&_sid=58fcc7fce&_ss=r

For thinner knives in that price range Tsunehisa (ginsan or AS) would be a good bet. CKTG has them available under other names such as Harukaze and Yahiko for lower price. However, there are not many knives in your price range that I can think of that are very tall (assuming a vic is about 50mm). You can also check out some of the various offerings by Shiro Kamo, which tend to be reasonable price and generous heel height. But there are a ton of variations of steels and styles, so check with individual vendors to see if their versions match your needs. Also for slightly above your price point, you can try to find an "extra height" ashi ginga.

I had the Harakuzi AS Marado, same as the Tsunehisa and recommend it. Needed a touch of thinning but it was one of the easiest I have done that on. It held a nice edge for a long time. They don't work for great for me because I like taller knives but I definitely recommend them.

That shinko may be the one. I like that one a lot.
I have 3 of these (2 gyutos and a suji). Good knives. Brilliant value for money. Thoroughly recommend for the $$. And KnS is a very reputable vendor.

The gyuto is pretty thinly ground. Easy for Sharpen. Forms a nice stable greyish patina in my ho e use. Decent edge retention as long as you don't expose to too much acid (mainly citrus, in my case). The suji is a somewhat thicker grind, FWIW.

I used mine as a daily driver for 6 months (home use), mainly to see how a relitavely affordable knife would fare. It did everything well enough. It's still in my rotation. I don't baby it at all. It's worth mentioning that I did cause a small chip on a lemon seed not long after I got it. Small enough to come out in the first sharpening. Probably just bad luck or maybe a weak factory edge, as there have been no repeats on similar and even harder foods (pumpkin, wooddy kholrabi root, and crusty roasts for the suji).

Hope this helps.

If you get it, I'd love to know how it stands up to high volume pro use.

So many knives fit your description it will be hard to down select. Good news is they are mostly good knives.

Will suggest the Shun Classic 3" parer for the shorty. Yes it's a Shun, but it's one of best off the shelf parers available.

ordered a gyuto and an old hickory paring knife, haha. I'll post pictures when I get the gyuto. Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I appreciate the help!

Well I cancelled my order for the shinko because after waiting two days the knife hadn't shipped, and I was charged for shipping insurance from some shady third party company that I couldn't opt out of.

Can anyone recommend a store that will ship my knife the same day? I even paid for two day shipping and after two days the knife is still chilling at the shop. Disappointing.

Well I called carbon and they confirmed they can ship me out a knife today, so I'll go back over their selection and place an order.

Shame, was really hoping to take the shinko for a test drive at work today or tomorrow.

Have you looked at JKI and / or KnS?

Little plug for our sponsors. There are others as well.

And fwiw, 2 days to ship is not excessive (imho)

Have you looked at JKI and / or KnS?

Little plug for our sponsors. There are others as well.

And fwiw, 2 days to ship is not excessive (imho)
I'll check out jki before I make a decision.

If I pay for two day shipping and I place an order at noon on a weekday, I expect the item in my hands by the end of the day two days later. That's the whole point of paying extra rather than going with free shipping or standard shipping.

Not a big deal either way, I've found shops willing to ship my order today and they will get my business.

I'll check out jki before I make a decision.

If I pay for two day shipping and I place an order at noon on a weekday, I expect the item in my hands by the end of the day two days later. That's the whole point of paying extra rather than going with free shipping or standard shipping.

Not a big deal either way, I've found shops willing to ship my order today and they will get my business.

A lot of these knife shops are small operations, some are even 1-man shops. It's pretty common for many to take a day or two to ship.

Regardless, happy you found one willing to ship same day and gratz on the new knife.

Well I cancelled my order for the shinko because after waiting two days the knife hadn't shipped, and I was charged for shipping insurance from some shady third party company that I couldn't opt out of.
If you ordered from K&S it is probably because they were putting a handle on it. That would be a shame too, because they do a great job and have really nice handles...

Well the good news is I searched for a model I wanted but previously could not find in stock. Found it in stock finally, it's on the way!

Tsunehisa-AS-Kurouchi-Gyuto-240mm-Knife_3589x.jpg

aogami super at 63-64rc, 240mm blade, 2mm thickness I believe. should work nicely.

If you ordered from K&S it is probably because they were putting a handle on it. That would be a shame too, because they do a great job and have really nice handles...
I was thinking exactly this.

I was thinking exactly this.
if that is the case then I'd feel bad. I was under the impression these were complete knives sitting in a box ready to ship.

I got the old hickory paring knife I paid $8 shipped for off ebay in two days, so I was expecting similar shipping speed for a $200 order with an extra charge for express shipping.

I emailed the vendor requesting tracking # and they didn't say anything about putting on handles. Just that it hadn't shipped yet.

Either way the not being able to opt out of the insurance thing left a bad taste in my mouth too. Just give me a choice, don't slip it in without giving me a chance to say no then have them email me trying to get me to install their app.

Well the good news is I searched for a model I wanted but previously could not find in stock. Found it in stock finally, it's on the way!

Tsunehisa-AS-Kurouchi-Gyuto-240mm-Knife_3589x.jpg

aogami super at 63-64rc, 240mm blade, 2mm thickness I believe. should work nicely.

So did you end up with the Shiro Kamo or something else? I’d love to hear your impressions once you get to use it.

Back