Which soaker 400-600JIS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruso

Reaction score
I am looking to complete my soaker set. I need something in 400-600 grit range that can be permasoaked and not have a high risk of cracking, like Choseras, when drying.

Any good suggestions?

Morihei 500, it’s splash and Go, but Soaks a bit of water for the First use.
+1 on the morihei. Great feedback, cuts fast , harder than the gesshin. Not a traditional soaker but it really performs like one

Can Morihei 500 be soaked permanently?

Any other options? Not too many soakers in that range? Anything from Suehiro?

Any other options? Not too many soakers in that range? Anything from Suehiro?

How about Masahiro or Norton 1000's? Can be soaked for days on end,,,, Either one should be fine for re-establishing a dull edge that doesn't necessarily need repair, and for damaged edges, I'd probably go below 600 anyway.

The Masahiro by the way, is available in 600. Norton jumps from 220 directly to 1000.

Last edited:
I don't know, but I have used it soak and it doesn't have any crack problem. I don't know how it will affect the stone In the long run.
I asked several vendors about permasoaking Morihei 500 (thanks to all the vendors for the prompt reply). Only one vendor said that it's should be okay to permasoak this stone. Otherwise the consensus is that keeping Morihei 500 in water might damage the stone on a long run.

Are JKI 400 and Bestor 500 really the only fish in the water for low-mid grit soakers? What a bummer.

the thing with permasoak, it really depends on the climate where you live. extreme change of weather will ruin your stone for sure. Imanishi is the most prone to crack in my experience in where I live, while Naniwa Pro doesn't have that cracking problem, unlike other people's experience. So YMMV about it.

There are several Suehiro 600 Gokumyo or Ryu, but I think it's pretty limited and not many people have experience with it. maybe you want to Take one for the team?

Aren't many vendors cautious these days? Afraid of claims?
Better say 'don't soak it' if they are not sure or if there was one case of cracking at someone who used the stone in the artic and desert?

User experiences might be more valuable here? There is always a risk, keep that in mind. But how big is it?

the thing with permasoak, it really depends on the climate where you live. extreme change of weather will ruin your stone for sure. Imanishi is the most prone to crack in my experience in where I live, while Naniwa Pro doesn't have that cracking problem, unlike other people's experience. So YMMV about it.

There are several Suehiro 600 Gokumyo or Ryu, but I think it's pretty limited and not many people have experience with it. maybe you want to Take one for the team?
From what I understood the main concern is not the cracking, but that the stone will become softer with time and either begins to dish fast or looses its integrity.

Funny enough 600 Gokumyo GS series, while being expensive as heck, is still cheaper than JKI 400.
Gokumyo 600 seems to handle the soaking well, based on Suehiro description. "There is no risk of a change in quality in a normal environment (summer, winter temperatures), or from soaking in water. You can use it in the same manner as a typical fired artificial whetstone." Could be interesting buy at least.

Aren't many vendors cautious these days? Afraid of claims?
Better say 'don't soak it' if they are not sure or if there was one case of cracking at someone who used the stone in the artic and desert?

User experiences might be more valuable here? There is always a risk, keep that in mind. But how big is it?
Better safe than sorry, and who can blame them.
Risk is about $100 worth, are you sponsoring? ;)

King 300? 🤷‍♂️

King 300 and Cerax 320 are a bit too coarse for what I am looking. I already have pink brick of dishing for coarse soaker.

Better safe than sorry, and who can blame them.
Risk is about $100 worth, are you sponsoring? ;)

King 300 and Cerax 320 are a bit too coarse for what I am looking. I already have pink brick of dishing for coarse soaker.
Not a soaker but SG 500 🥳

Back