White #1 ... who does it best?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbflat

Reaction score
I’m wondering who really treats white #1 the best, or a few makers that do so. I’m looking for something like a Mazaki gyuto but in #1, or maybe a weighty wide bevel in #1. Really looking for a proper heat treatment though. There are so many manufacturers now I can’t keep up.

anyone who is willing to temper it at 125C for "best" results imo.

I highly recommend Murray Carter's white 1. Best of what I've used amongst maybe 5-6 White 1 knives. That said, I've not used a TF Maboroshi, but if they are similarin quality to his Denka's which I have used, I'd bet that his White 1 is excellent.

I can count on one hand White 1 smiths, actually

1. Maboroshi
2. Jiro
3. M. Hinoura JCK
4. Y. Tanaka
5. Whoever in Sakai that does White 1 for Kagekiyo

Any other prominent White 1 smiths I'm missing?

Just for some contrasting perspective, the only white #1 I've tried was a Carter, and I was on the fence about it. Seemed a bit harder to sharpen than the white #2 and blue #1/#2 knives I've tried. But that said, I didn't have it for very long, so I didn't get to really put it through its paces. Certainly a nice knife, though.

1. Maboroshi:
Ok maybe.. would really like to see one in person. My impression is the fit and finish leave something to be desired. Plus I still don’t have a good feel for the grind.

2. Jiro:
Cool looking but I’m not sure what I’m getting other that heat treating ... apparently. The pass around thread isn’t exactly making me very excited.

3. M. Hinoura JCK:
Hmmm.... interesting. They need better pictures and as usual for anything I’m interested in they are soled out. Somewhat unclear on the grind.

4. Y. Tanaka: I can’t tell you why per say but they don’t appeal to me. At least what I’m familiar with, but pleas point me in the right direction.

5. Whoever in Sakai that does White 1 for Kagekiyo:
Too thin, light... looking for a thin behind the edge weighty knife but not a club. Still pondering a Mazaki.

6. Carter:
Not sure why but they have never really grabbed me. A bit too flat a run on many and too thin mostly.

“Why are you so set on White #1 anyway? If you're really into something like a Mazaki, get a Mazaki”

I have a whole bunch of white #2 knives (a metric bunch). I sharpen a lot and love the fresh edge right off a stone. I often hit a fine stone just before cooking just for that edge that pops. So it theory white #1 should take the best edge and that’s what I want. Longevity is second or third in my list of priorities... Could I tell the difference between well treated #1 and #2? .. unlikely at best, but that not the point, especially here. This is some esoteric sh!t... and best not ask why I want #1 vs. #2... basically the answer is because I don’t have it and it’s going to make my knife soooooooooooo much sharper....;)

“Why are you so set on White #1 anyway? If you're really into something like a Mazaki, get a Mazaki”

I have a whole bunch of white #2 knives (a metric bunch). I sharpen a lot and love the fresh edge right off a stone. I often hit a fine stone just before cooking just for that edge that pops. So it theory white #1 should take the best edge and that’s what I want. Longevity is second or third in my list of priorities... Could I tell the difference between well treated #1 and #2? .. unlikely at best, but that not the point, especially here. This is some esoteric sh!t... and best not ask why I want #1 vs. #2... basically the answer is because I don’t have it and it’s going to make my knife soooooooooooo much sharper....;)

Get a Morihei Hisamoto

So I looked at all the Morihei Hisamoto pictures I could find and nothing seems to have changed in some Japanese knives. Just lazy and crappy finish work. I’m not looking for a masterpiece of fit and finish but for a $400+ knife it’s just sad. Looks like the finish on a $20 Chinese crap knife. I’m sure the steel is great but..... really?
0F59D43B-A885-4385-9D78-553B48D73478.jpeg

Can find any white #1 with a wa handle. It looks thinner than I’m interested in as well.

So I looked at all the Morihei Hisamoto pictures I could find and nothing seems to have changed in some Japanese knives. Just lazy and crappy finish work. I’m not looking for a masterpiece of fit and finish but for a $400+ knife it’s just sad. Looks like the finish on a $20 Chinese crap knife. I’m sure the steel is great but..... really?
View attachment 71208
My take as well. But perhaps there’s good ones out there.

I read that pass round thread twice and wasn’t exactly inspired with the Jiro. Plus I like my tip in line with the center of the handle more or less. Thats really low for my liking.

I know you want white 1 and that is totally legit.....but since you seem to know exactly what you want maybe a custom is in order, you can get it in 26C3 aka spicy white or 125SC. Or maybe find a Raquin in SC145, even though most don't sound like your type, maybe his kitchen traktor grind.

Jiro is not a bad knife, just costs too much for what it is. Heat treat on it is not clear, but seems perfectly fine. We would need a lot more examples and users to figure out if the heat treat is anything special.

Barmoley... I think you are right. I think I will grab a Mazaki for now and talk to some makers here in the US about exactly what I want. It might take me a while to afford it but I think that’s my best bet. Plus I have been away from the forum here for some time and I’m amazed at what domestic makers are producing now. It might be time to start looking here for some of the best knives made anywere.

Or just go buy a Catcheside. Bet it’d make you super happy. The forged geometry series is a weighty wide bevel (although the bevel’s not super wide) and the heat treat is a treat is indeed. Mine was in 1.2442, which is supposed to be somewhat like blue #1, but who cares, it was awesome.

Barmoley... I think you are right. I think I will grab a Mazaki for now and talk to some makers here in the US about exactly what I want. It might take me a while to afford it but I think that’s my best bet. Plus I have been away from the forum here for some time and I’m amazed at what domestic makers are producing now. It might be time to start looking here for some of the best knives made anywere.
Good move

“Another thought: if you tell me which one you want, I’ll buy the Mazaki, and then resell it to you marketed as White #1. I’ll only charge $30 for the rebranding service. Then you can get a great knife for cheap and be satisfied that you are trying a new steel.”

But is there free shipping? I really want free shipping.

Back