Who is a Reddit refugee?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reddit posts about the shut down have pointed users to both KKF and chefknives discord. Good to have different places to hang out, so that there are more places for people to find a nice place to discuss knives. Just don’t try and have a rewarding discussion in any FB knife group. They seem to balance between confidently oblivious and knife eroticism.

Honestly, me too haha. So glad for that
"Selling a a Gyuto made by a Swedish guy in Sweden" - @jedy617

"You can't call it a Gyuto! It wasn't made in Japan!" - KilgoreTrout

"I'm selling a Gyuto I "made" outside of Japan." - Also KilgoreTrout

Activity there seems to be waning. Only a few posts a day in the General Section.
There’s probably 100 messages in general today. But also lots in the beginner channel. Big influx of new members, and we’re still trying to figure things out. All the old resources aren’t set up yet, for example.

I am on most platforms (Facebook, Ck-tg forum, Reddit). KKF is the mother of them all. Also, most of my knives are bought here from trustworthy sellers.

"Selling a a Gyuto made by a Swedish guy in Sweden" - @jedy617

"You can't call it a Gyuto! It wasn't made in Japan!" - KilgoreTrout

"I'm selling a Gyuto I "made" outside of Japan." - Also KilgoreTrout
The saya is fine, even if it only covers just the tip

I was a pretty compulsive redditor, even after finding kkf 4-5 years ago. The creeping censorship that comes with a social network that touches on all subjects was starting to grate on me. The tone deaf way Reddit dealt with the volunteers running their website finally poisoned the well for me. Luckily most pocket and chef knife users use insta, which has a steady supply of cat and bird videos. Haven’t gone back and probably won’t. Spent an unhealthy amount of time there.

So individual subreddits are moderated and controlled by groups of mods, which are selected and installed by current moderators for that specific sub Reddit.

Reddits UI, is absolute dog food. Has been basically unusable for years for anything but browsing. Honestly even posting on there was a pain. They only just came out with a decent mobile app in the last couple years. That carries over into the moderating aspect, and for a team of 10-20 people trying to moderate subs that might get hundreds if not thousands of posts a day. There’s apparently something like 11 million posts spread across Reddit per month, the last I saw numbers of mods were something like 70kish over the entire site. Obviously some subs are dead and mods see no activity and some see tons. But it’s still something like every mod on the site having to make decisions on 3-4 posts per day. With said UI and mod tools, people started leaning into third party apps that had much better mod tools to do the job. That’s also what people used to use to browse Reddit, before the app came out so it has some history. The data calls the apps used were provided for an extremely lost cost, or even free from what I’ve heard, from Reddit for most of the sites history.

Reddits been trying to go public and be the next fb recently. As part of that, they needed to show profitability. So they jacked up the the price, the largest app mods use was reporting something like 20/million a year based on its current usage with Reddit unwilling to negotiate a lower rate since the apps aren’t anywhere near that profitable.

The result is mods unable to do their job (which they volunteer for) of keeping subs on the up and up, without significantly more time and effort. A bunch of the subs went black in protest of losing their mod tools.

Reddit got angry, and decided to threaten the mods with removal and replacement with more pliable mods which they’ve never done anything close to before. Many of the subs caved to the pressure and came back online.

Haven’t been back on Reddit so not sure where chefknives falls in that timeline, but I’m guessing it’s either currently offline, going to get rebooted by Reddit soon since they’ve apparently been working through a list of offending mods/subreddits

I wasn't particularly active on the sub, but have stopped using reddit since the blackout dates. I tend to frequent the discord and lurk here outside of a few threads. Might be time to be slightly more active here now that its likely that I keep away from reddit in general.

Not a refugee, but not surprised by the influx. Many common interests. r/ChefKnives is still a resource for user comments on knives years back. I'll miss the raw comments of posters who responded quickly enough to make a dialogue. Gave me new insights.

Back