Why 1095?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love 52100. The 521 specification guarantees more potassium carbides formed after the nose in the testudinian transformation curve.

I believe that's why it tastes so strange...

The 52 marks it as a chromium alloyed steel. The 100 is the carbon content (1.0%)

From a maker and user perspective I prefer 52100 over 1095 without a question.
I find 52100 much easier to heat treat with repeatable results over 1095 which I find to be a bit finicky.
In my opinion I can get a more refined edge that last longer in use with 52100.
I will agree that 52100 does not "feel" as nice on stones but that personally does not matter to me. I do not make nor purchase knives for a pleasurable sharpening experience. I make/purchase a knife as a tool that needs to perform its intended task of cutting. Yes something that feels great on the stones is a added bonus to certain steels but it is not a deciding factor in purchase for me.

From a maker and user perspective I prefer 52100 over 1095 without a question.
I find 52100 much easier to heat treat with repeatable results over 1095 which I find to be a bit finicky.
In my opinion I can get a more refined edge that last longer in use with 52100.
I will agree that 52100 does not "feel" as nice on stones but that personally does not matter to me. I do not make nor purchase knives for a pleasurable sharpening experience. I make/purchase a knife as a tool that needs to perform its intended task of cutting. Yes something that feels great on the stones is a added bonus to certain steels but it is not a deciding factor in purchase for me.
Agreed

There are a variety of performance and quality standards available, generally under the ASTM A prefix. It's not necessary to certify under them in order to use the alloy numbers, however.

For instance, it's usual for commercial bearings to be made from grade A295 52100 steel. As a result, it's common for 52100 steel to be A295 certified. Nonetheless, it's possible to get 52100 with lesser or no certificates.

They're generally more oriented toward measuring results than dictating methods.

Back