Why shigefusa or Kato?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, my western yoshi sld is really nice. Are you referring to the wa version?
They seem different enough that I might be able to justify owning both
:)

Yeah, it’s the wa handle. Got it some time back from Bernal.

Sometimes, I don’t want the romance of a Kato—I just want something that slays. Not to minimize any of the Kato I have, but if I am being brutally honest, the Yoshikane is simply a better cutter than any of them or my Shigs.

It’s come to the point where I have sold/am selling all my stainless with the exception of that and a Takamura Uchi that’s also a standout performer.

also people need to remember that shig reputation was made as a $400 knife

So true. Though cost and rarity has made them appear in the same family, I don’t consider double bevel Shigefusa to be in the same hemisphere as Kato.

also people need to remember that shig reputation was made as a $400 knife
Yes, go back to 2011 or 2012 and you could get both shigs and katos for 250 bucks. In 2016 you could buy Shig 210 Kasumi knifes for 350.

...ever used is leaps and bounds the SLD dammy from Yoshikane....

you have a lot of awesome knives. If you don’t mind me asking, have you tried and played with devin thomas aeb-l and marko tsourkan stainless knives? Are they leaps and bounds behind yoshikane sld dammy from your view for stainless knives?

you have a lot of awesome knives. If you don’t mind me asking, have you tried and played with devin thomas aeb-l and marko tsourkan stainless knives? Are they leaps and bounds behind yoshikane sld dammy from your view for stainless knives?

I have not. I have used aebl before, but not from those smiths. I am confident that aebl from Dalman will eventually be my favorite stainless—once I can finally track one down, that is.

I have not used any knives from Thomas or Tsourkan. I’ve heard good things.

It is far from cheap, BUT, the best stainless I have ever used is leaps and bounds the SLD dammy from Yoshikane. In fact, and I know some will chastise, but it is among the top three to four cutters I have. This includes several Kato's in different steels, Shigs, honyaki from Togashi, Ikeda and Genkai and a lot of other knives that I have been fortunate enough to play with.

I agree with this would take my sld yoshi over Any Kato or shig I have used ,

Anyway what cause the inflation of shig?
I'm new to this brand/maker.
Due to over demand less supply or the maker is retiring and stuff?

Anyway what cause the inflation of shig?
I'm new to this brand/maker.
Due to over demand less supply or the maker is retiring and stuff?
Reputation coupled with limited supply and the fact that the smith is older and could retire at any time are the main factors.

Latest posts

Back