Wide bevel knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The JNS 300 is probably fine, muddier softer stones tend to be good for blade road work. I don't know much about the JNS stones but I understand they're a little slower so the 300 is probably fine. It never hurts to start at a higher grit (within reason) though in my opinion, spend some time on it, if you're getting the result you want but it's too slow drop down a stone. If you're messing up you'll notice and be glad you didn't start at a lower grit.

2 ways about going about it. Flatten the bevel and remove quite a bit of metal, or what I would do, just remove enough to know you hit all the top of the shinogi, minus deeper spots.

Depends on if you're going for aesthetics or just sharpening. Take notes but don't over think it. You're knife already works with it's imperfections.

@labor of love I followed the link you posted cause the more I read about Mazaki knives the more tempted I was to perhaps purchase it but sadly that site doesnt seem to ship outside the EU from what Ive seen. :(

Ah ok, I may have jumped the gun then. I emailed them but tried to see if I could check myself via their checkout system on the website but didnt see them ship outside of the EU. Ill wait and see their response before moving on then since Im considering maybe going for it, from what their instagram says about this batch. They already have a Hamaguri grind and are taller/heavier which are traits Id love in a knife. Also the handles are nice :D

Last edited:
Carbonknifecompany has some Mazaki Kasumi gyuotos in stock too.

Carbonknifecompany has some Mazaki Kasumi gyuotos in stock too.

I saw that one, but the weight seems a bit much and the spine thickness is nearly 5mm above the heel. I wanted a heavier knife but not that heavy I think. Thanks for trying to help though! :D

I saw that one, but the weight seems a bit much and the spine thickness is nearly 5mm above the heel. I wanted a heavier knife but not that heavy I think. Thanks for trying to help though! :D
Okei, I didn't know they have that much difference in weight. I am sure you you will figure out the mailing with them. They have a good customer service IMO.

So i’ve read mixed opinions. Are we sharpening our mazaki blades like wide bevel knives? I know some people have said mazaki technically would not be wide bevel. My nashiji looks like a wide bevel gyuto.

I’m learning these new techniques myself Garner. And I feel an 800 grit stone has served me well to start. My atoma 140 comes in handy when thinning my western 270 beater because I could care less how that thing looks. However when learning new sharpening techniques I would not go near the atoma.

@Robert Lavacca The Mazaki knife I am ordering comes with a Hamaguri grind so I wont be flattening the bevels on that knife since it already has my desired bevel shape.

If you are talking about the knife I have now, I've started flattening the bevels on my Tanaka knife since that knife for me is my, "Beater" knife you could say for learning new stuff on. Its a fully stainless knife so its taking forever on the 800 grit I have. I've done three, one and an half hour sessions of bevel flattening and am getting close to getting the low spots out, I thought about leaving those in somewhat but It looks way too hideous for me to let the knife exist that way. After the bevels are flat I will try applying the hamaguri technique to it and seeing how I go from there.

And for my concerns about the contrast, its way better now as the softer stainless is going this darker grey colour and the harder steel is nice and bright! :D

I’ve only good things to say about Cleancut.

It looks like the batch of Mazakis they recently received are very similar to the CarbonKnifeCo ones. Heavier than CC’s previous spec. Convex grind. Like you said, beautiful. :)

@Robert Lavacca The Mazaki knife I am ordering comes with a Hamaguri grind so I wont be flattening the bevels on that knife since it already has my desired bevel shape.

If you are talking about the knife I have now, I've started flattening the bevels on my Tanaka knife since that knife for me is my, "Beater" knife you could say for learning new stuff on. Its a fully stainless knife so its taking forever on the 800 grit I have. I've done three, one and an half hour sessions of bevel flattening and am getting close to getting the low spots out, I thought about leaving those in somewhat but It looks way too hideous for me to let the knife exist that way. After the bevels are flat I will try applying the hamaguri technique to it and seeing how I go from there.

And for my concerns about the contrast, its way better now as the softer stainless is going this darker grey colour and the harder steel is nice and bright! :D
Hi Garner, I'm wondering what's your final decision?

Makoto? Tanaka?

I'm planning to send back my TF & considering Yu kurosaki or Tanaka.

For tanaka, are they good?

For tanaka, are they good?

The Tanaka I got was Shigeki tanaka, there are a lot of Tanaka's so becareful ;)

Shigeki Tanaka makes great blades for the cost, the final finish is terrible if you dont get them from KnS in my opinion. The knife I got was a Mazaki blade from CleanCut and Im trying it out now. It has a nasty distilled taper, nice grind and no low spots from what I see. From my use so far I like it! :D

I have been posting about it in another thread, where I am polishing the knife.

The Tanaka I got was Shigeki tanaka, there are a lot of Tanaka's so becareful ;)

Shigeki Tanaka makes great blades for the cost, the final finish is terrible if you dont get them from KnS in my opinion. The knife I got was a Mazaki blade from CleanCut and Im trying it out now. It has a nasty distilled taper, nice grind and no low spots from what I see. From my use so far I like it! :D

I have been posting about it in another thread, where I am polishing the knife.

You're lucky didn't get the knife have problem like mine, the tanaka i was talking about is 诚贵作, my friend has one. Terrible F&F...

Yeah my Tanaka has terrible F&F and a ton of lowspots but I've placed it in my beater role. So its not as heartbreaking that its ugly as all hell ;)

I did only pay under $300 AUD for it but I could of gotten it cheaper and better at KnS. Make sure to shop around!

Yeah my Tanaka has terrible F&F and a ton of lowspots but I've placed it in my beater role. So its not as heartbreaking that its ugly as all hell ;)

I did only pay under $300 AUD for it but I could of gotten it cheaper and better at KnS. Make sure to shop around!
Yes I'm current compare at KNS, i think tanaka is not my type ...

Tanaka is a thinner knife pretty sure, and it cuts well. Mine may be ugly but I think its insanely sharp. I have the Ginsan/Silver Steel No.3 version.

I would recommend a Mazaki since Ive heard so many good things about it, but I havent used mine enough to give a solid recommendation.

Back