Wife Knife Suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Migraine

Reaction score

UK

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Small Gyuto or Santoku (or Funayaki - not even 100% sure what it means to be honest)

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Either

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

Around 180mm

She's small and she definitely wants something on the tiny side. I'd just get a 210 Kaeru otherwise

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

YES. She 100% will not be interested in looking after something reactive.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

Ehhh idk, £250?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

General purpose Western home kitchen

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

She's only ever had access to her parents knives up to now which were terrible

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

She'll be pinch-gripping ;)

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Push-cut, slice. I'll be drilling it into her not to rock-chop.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Literally anything half-decent will be better in every way

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Don't care

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

On the lighter side

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Low reactivity, sharpening not a big deal as I'll be doing it

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

So long as it's not pathetic I don't care, I enjoy sharpening anyway

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

End-grain walnut

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

I've spent enough already thanks

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Just want something she'll feel comfortable using and will keep her mitts off my reactive and more delicate knives.

I'd happily go Western maker/custom route as well if anyone in Europe is doing good stuff in stainless. I'd rather buy something I'm happy to pick up occasionally too.

Europe based only please - it's just not worth it buying from outside once you factor in customs and shipping.

i recently bought my wife a kurosaki and my mother a takamura. both very nimble and approachable knives.

I purchased a Masamoto Hyper-molybdenum 180 Gyuto from Korin’s for my wife, she has similar requirements as yours.

It’s light, nimble, sharp out of the box, takes on a nice edge and easy to care for.

Last edited:
Geshin Stainless for great BFTB, JNS Kaeru if you want better edge retention at a significantly higher price, Takamura already mentioned, Takamura chromax is another consideration.

Last edited:
MacPro is a good intro knife, would likely be an upgrade to what she was using before.

Try to determine if she prefers Japanese or Western handles, to narrow down options, some people hate J-handles.

If into laser-ish knifes:
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/collections/gyuto/products/gesshin-ginga-180mm-stainless-gyuto
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...oducts/gesshin-ginga-180mm-stainless-wa-gyuto
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/collections/gyuto/products/gesshin-kagero-180mm-wa-gyuto

Also, check out Korin, France, they have a 15% off sale.

Back