Wireless Headphone Help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliot

Reaction score
Hey all -

Far from an audiophile, but would like something really quality and figured some of you may know your stuff.
Looking for a nice pair of Bluetooth headphones. I would prefer over-ear, as these would be used simply sitting in my house. No commuting, traveling, etc.

Let me have it!

Last edited:
If noice-cancelling is not essential, the inexpensive Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT might be an option. I paid some EUR 80 incl. VAT IIRC.

I’ve got the Bose 700 and my SO has the Apple airpods max. Both are awesome. Couldn’t go wrong with either.

Disclaimer: I'm no audiophile but I do listen to intricate, often fast moving music with a wide range of frequencies in the mix.

Sony WMH 1000-XM4.

I have the XM2 from a few years ago. XM4 is the (twice) updated model.

Pretty good bass. Great definition. Very good noise cancellation. They use a special BT codec which makes a difference. I suspect everyone worth their salt has a fancy BT codec now though.

Better sound than my Bose QC3, which is itself pretty good (albeit they are over ears).

Noticeably better than my Sennerheiser Momentum in ear wired. Not really fair comparing in ear to over ear, I know.

Others that were often recommended when I did my research were Audiotechnica AT50 (I don't really know if this also applies to their wireless Bluetooth model) and Sennerheiser Momentum over ears.

It seems I may be fine without noise-canceling, as this is purely for use at home -- if that spares me some sound quality.

Over-the-ear can mean two types of headphones; those that rest directly on the ear-lobes, and those that wrap completely around the ear-lobes. The latter are called "circum-aural", and those tend to be very comfortable if you're wearing them for longer periods. I would recommend that you also look at open-backed vs closed back versions. The closed-back models tend to be boomy, and they'll not be the best choice if you're listening to TV or watching movies, where vocal articulation is important. Open-backed headphones also allow you to hear what's going on around you.

Sennheiser offers a few wireless models (RS-175 and RS-195) that may be of interest. Some use radio-frequency, which allows you to leave the room, and still hear the soundtrack. Infra-red is line-of-sight only Don't forget you'll need to change batteries from time to time, so buy some spares.

If you have a favorite listening chair, you can also avoid "wireless" by simply running an extension plug-in headphone-cable from your device (TV/stereo, etc) directly to your chair. No batteries to deal with. Typically with better lo-frequency response than Blu-tooth.

Don't forget to take your wired headphones off when a commercial comes on, and you wanna run to the bathroom for a quick "break".o_O

https://en-ca.sennheiser.com/rs-195
1629776804938.png

Last edited:
If you're looking at using bluetooth you might want to learn about the different codecs used and their different sound qualities. There is a wide range in quality of sound.

Last edited:
Best bang for buck for me so far are Taotronics off Amazon. TT-BH:

060 = non fatiguing on long sessions
085 = flatter profile, can connect simultaneously to multiple sources
090 = just like 060 but better sq and better built

[OZ: They are regularly discounted in. Watch for coupons on ozbargain]

I love bt. My other old gear: STAX, DENON, Senns, a few custom IEMs all wired, all gather dust. I don't miss em.

Back