Workshop picture tour.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting and impressive Will. Looking at pictures of your work brings to mind Tim Burton movies for some reason...dark and unusual and creative. The little gate (first picture on post #25) the best.

Funny you should say that. I was asked to design some Tim Burton-esc gates for one of these dream home builds projects. They were very keen but as tends to happen with these projects they ran out of money building the dream home before they got to any Ironwork.

A new addition to the workshop..... An old Avery hardness tester from e-bay. It works too:D
Will be nice to be able to do my testing in shop now.
This feather damascus blade tested between 59 and 60 hrc on the tang.
20120503_111517.jpg

Thanks Marko, I'm sure you would pick it up no problems. But beware, getting stuff hot and hitting it is as addictive as Kitchen Knives:D
Your welcome to come and have a play if your ever over here.:biggrin:

Thanks Marko, I'm sure you would pick it up no problems. But beware, getting stuff hot and hitting it is as addictive as Kitchen Knives:D
Your welcome to come and have a play if your ever over here.:biggrin:

I know. I have been fascinating about blacksmithing since a kid, but never had an opportunity to get into it.

I will definitely visit your shop should I be in your side of woods. You are likewise are welcome to visit.

M

A couple of new tools hustled today, both CE rated which is european for health and safety, guards, safety features, wiring and checked. :D So at least my apprentice will have two tools to learn on. We will introduce Barney in a few weeks when we have settled in a bit. He is going to be good, I can tell.
But for now the toys err tools.
A Grit Profi 50
I think an EU copy of a Wilton square wheel?

Used as a demo machine once, can't believe my luck, they are not made anymore and it was a bargain. Have plans to install speed control, new platen with fitting for small wheels one side, 100mm wheel the other side and a more variable quick change platen face. Can put a large wheel on in place of the whole platen assembly.
Will be delivered soon with a horizontal belt grinder running 75mm x 2000 belts 4hp 3 phase, should hog, has a 1400 setting so will use this for tapering and the very start of bevels. I pop some in situ updates as we go, going to need to have a bit of a reorganise in there and pick up some extraction stuff.:)

No idea what any of that means but awesome to hear that your business is growing and that you will have some company! Congratulations!

Very cool to see you gearing up for more production. Looking forward to more shots of WIP. Should be a real plus having an guy with experience you can work with. Keep us posted Will.

Will, all of your work is just as incredible as your knives! Thanks for sharing all the photos! Hoping someday to add a Catchside to my collection!

Thanks guys, your comments mean allot to me:)
Here is the new big grinder, 2 speed which helps. Have a number of possible tasks for this. Really need to have a bit of a sort out in the workshop now. Barney will be on building a new finishing and assembly/etch testing area tomorrow. Changes are a commin.

THIS.IS.AWESOME.
It's really humbling to see all this Will. I don't know you but can only admire your craftmanship and love for your work that transpires from these pics.

Wow, Will. Your ironwork is out of this world. I'm in awe. Literally, mind-blowing stuff.

Thanks Guys, Don the big grinder will run very course belts for hogging material flat. Thus saving my bevel grinding belts. I think I will adapt the platen and rest though and run 50mm wide belts as will hog even more then and use it to start tapers as well.

Whilst I am beavering away on knives...Barney is with me doing a little work experience while we wait on possible bursaries etc for his training. Barney has been helping me very much in getting the workshop sorted and ready for our joint efforts...prepping materials for damascus. So far I have a really nice new clean bench for laying out blades and handle materials and doing etch and glue up and clean processes, away from the grind. Bonus. Next project for Barney get me a larger welding furnace built as soon I will up my billet size as it will be more efficient. It will be handle to have two sizes of welding furnace anyway and a long thin furnace for heat cycling after welding and billet preheat.
New welding furnace build...

Old furnaces, one on the right is my welding furnace, its so good and efficient for smaller work, it will stay in service. The cheap fire brick one will get skimmed in refractory cement and used for preheat and heat cycling.

Barney fabricated these bits for me, base, furnace shell and lid. Will be lined with refractories.

Barney tweaking some pieces for the doors.

Its going to be an upside down design, burner or burners come in the side bellow the work, giving very even heat distribution.

Base is now cast with heavy refractory cement, The kiln body will sit on this. It will always be able to split down into 3 parts for renovation/adaption.

I will now line the forge body with about 80mm of fire blanket and skim this in with a very thin layer of wet refractory cement. The roof will be the same. Will post further progress and see how well it works. I'm hoping it will run up to the temps I need on one mega burner but have an extra hole for another if needed.

I had better do a proper tour of the new digs now I'm all settled, Im hoping to build an upstairs soon where I will have a large Office/display/packing room. And a fine work area, for the smaller more intricate work, and smaller cleaner machines.

Speaking of which

I had a present from Big Tom, who visited clutching a mouldy box, filled with rust pieces of metal..... I grunted I'm acceptance of the strange gift from the strange man.....

But when I cleaned it all up, it looked like this, :) Isn't it cute, Im going to put it to work making the tiny brass fittings for the back of the Western versions of these.....

Back