Would you get a honyaki Gyuto or Yanagiba?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ynot1985

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at getting some Honyakis as it's probably the best work that a Japanese blackmisth can make..

question is, if you had a choice, would you get honyaki in the form of a gyuto or as a yanagiba, or something else altogether

I personally would get too little use out of the yanagiba (once per 2 to 3 weeks), therefore I'd prefer to spend money on a gyuto (used daily).

(But of course I'd also enjoy looking at a beautiful yanagiba hanging on the wall ;) )

Gyuto, I don't use the Yanagiba that I have now...Actually, what I would want is really an exaggerated petty but I am a weirdo. As such I will stick with gyuto as my answer.

Hi,

I'm looking at getting some Honyakis as it's probably the best work that a Japanese blackmisth can make..

question is, if you had a choice, would you get honyaki in the form of a gyuto or as a yanagiba, or something else altogether

do you want something to use or something to show?? what knife sees the most use in your kitchen? for me, I would find a thin Deba, spine less than 3mm.

do you want something to use or something to show?? what knife sees the most use in your kitchen? for me, I would find a thin Deba, spine less than 3mm.

For that thin Deba.........

A single bevel gyuto may possibly fit that this particular description when compared to a miorishi deba in the following ways that i can observe...

a) higher blade height than a miorishi deba
b) thinner blade from choil perspective due to the slightly wider blade height and corresponding higher shinogi line

c) Better and thinner distal tapering at the tip.

Comparison done on a Takayuki w2 Miorishi (210mm) vs a Shiraki Ginsan Single bevel 230mm Gyuto ( with machi)

Havnt seen a Single Bevel Honyaki Gyuto around and difficult to find a maker. and I actually prefer a 240mm Miorishi over a 210 mioroshi due to the slight additional weight adn height.. wch assists in blasting thru the cuts.

Caveat: Have not started playing with the Single Bevel Gyuto Yet......

and time to look for a maker..... who wld make mercifully a do a one off piece

Have fun...Z

IMO its kinda like spending more on your daily driver over your weekend car. Some people might like it the other way around though (daily drive a civic/weekend a corvette? :))

Either way you won't be disappointed, honyaki give a great feedback - recently picked up a Tansu gyuto and a Catchside petty, both honyaki, and they are an absolute joy to use.

IMO its kinda like spending more on your daily driver over your weekend car. Some people might like it the other way around though (daily drive a civic/weekend a corvette? :))

Either way you won't be disappointed, honyaki give a great feedback - recently picked up a Tansu gyuto and a Catchside petty, both honyaki, and they are an absolute joy to use.

I don't understand the concept of having both a daily driver and a weekend car. Move somewhere that allows you to drive the weekend car daily or buy a truck. :justkidding:

That is a general "you". I see you live in Cali so you don't have that issue. :lol2: That is beside the point, though.

I treat my gyutos as the middle ground; the super hard edge would likely chip during the prep I use them for. Honyaki for me suits itself to something like an usuba or kiritsuke, being super thin and having next to no hard board contact. Very tempted to grab a sukenari one having used it at work...

Back