• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB WTB / WTT for a Shibata Tinker Tank

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotedupy

Reaction score
Just putting this here on the off chance.

A friend of mine in the US would quite like a Tinker Tank, especially if he could throw in a stone or two in part exchange.

He has quite a serious collection of very lovely Japanese and European stones; suita from Alex Gilmore, nakayama kiita, some beautiful cotis, Tams &c. &c. So if anyone may have a TT going spare that they'd like a bit of rock and some cash for then ping me a message and I can put you in touch. I don't know exactly what he's looking to let go, but there'd certainly be some pretty impressive options on the table...

(Guy is a longstanding member on B&B, and I've swapped stuff with him before.)

Message Shibata on IG, he’ll make u one

Haha... I did that a while back for myself actually, but my friend was looking to part exchange, in case anyone had one gathering dust

Pretty much my favourite knife, so I'm not letting it go!

IMG-1063.jpg

I did the same..messaged them...and was told the wait was about 1 year. I am a patient man. However, seeing pictures of one does make me long for it wistfully.

I did the same..messaged them...and was told the wait was about 1 year. I am a patient man. However, seeing pictures of one does make me long for it wistfully.
Lol it probably jumped to a year after I made a big stink about a dude trying to sell one for $800 on here. He gave me a time table f six months and he messaged me five weeks later saying it’s ready.

They’re great knives. But there isn’t a TKV knife out there I’d even consider at $600, let alone $800- and the Tank blows every TKV knife out of the water (although it’s a pretty shallow body of water- I own 2 gyutos and handled 5 more, they Have their appeal to some but they come off as quantity not quality to me).

I’ve yet to meet a cook or fellow chef to pick up my tinker tank and not immediately want one.

There are a lot of Kiri cleavers in the sea though, I’d be interested to hear how the Matsubura stacks up to it. Similar to the KS, the Tank is definitely starting to get shape copy cats, it’s only a matter of time until there’s one that improves on the original.

Back