Xerxes officially selling to the USA

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought Xerxes #77 a few months past. And when he said it was a laser, it is a very thin knife indeed. You can see it from the gallery.
https://www.xerxes-knives-shop.com/77-24er-laser-mit-einer-schneide-12562.htmlNormally the knives sold do not move to the gallery right away. It takes a few days before it shows up there, so eventually you can see it.
This time I bought #88. It's one of the cheaper knives in this batch but still over €1000 exVAT with worldwide shipping. Not a laser but one of his classic user-friendly geometry. At first when I looked at the small picture of the knife in the sales page, it looked like just one of the many other rustic style from other good knifemakers. Then when I saw the video, I found the subtle 350 layer damascus fascinating. It looked similar to but at the same time different from a Kemadi mono bulat. Along with a vivid ironwood handle it was such a beautifully made knife.

I was thinking of trying to buy a similarly priced Shig 270 from JNS but only sighted the out of stock page. The Xerxes looks so much better and is unique. I can eventually get a Shig 270 Kasumi off BST if I really want one in the future but the Xerxes will be hard to sight again.

As a bonus, the number 88 is also a very lucky number as it phonetically sounds similar to the Cantonese words "Rich, Surely Rich". Read about it on Wikipedia under the cultural significance section of the following URL.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/88_(n...ortune and,supermarkets often contain many 8s.

I bought Xerxes #77 a few months past. And when he said it was a laser, it is a very thin knife indeed. You can see it from the gallery.
https://www.xerxes-knives-shop.com/77-24er-laser-mit-einer-schneide-12562.htmlNormally the knives sold do not move to the gallery right away. It takes a few days before it shows up there, so eventually you can see it.
This time I bought #88. It's one of the cheaper knives in this batch but still over €1000 exVAT with worldwide shipping. Not a laser but one of his classic user-friendly geometry. At first when I looked at the small picture of the knife in the sales page, it looked like just one of the many other rustic style from other good knifemakers. Then when I saw the video, I found the subtle 350 layer damascus fascinating. It looked similar to but at the same time different from a Kemadi mono bulat. Along with a vivid ironwood handle it was such a beautifully made knife.

I was thinking of trying to buy a similarly priced Shig 270 from JNS but only sighted the out of stock page. The Xerxes looks so much better and is unique. I can eventually get a Shig 270 Kasumi off BST if I really want one in the future but the Xerxes will be hard to sight again.

As a bonus, the number 88 is also a very lucky number as it phonetically sounds similar to the Cantonese words "Rich, Surely Rich". Read about it on Wikipedia under the cultural significance section of the following URL.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/88_(n...ortune and,supermarkets often contain many 8s.

Also, number 88 is associated with the nazis in some circles.

Michael Rader
Bob Kramer
David Lisch
Billy Bob Sowell
Michael Vagnino

These are just a few I own multiple styles of. I have never wrote anyone is the best at anything on here because I don't have the resources or time or credibility to. If I asked a professional driver what the best motor was, at least they have credibility. I agree Xerxes has a cool name and appears to have nice knives. Plus, being from Germany he gets extra points as I lived there for three years. 🇩🇪

Mind you: my point was and is that he is the most versatile maker, and at a very high level.

“the” best is almost impossible to crown unless you define criteria that can be measured by independent judges imho.

One aspect is that he is using a large variety of steels and excels at working with them. Most makers focus on a handful of steels (some work with only one or two) and try to optimize heat treat etc for those few steels. I think you can make the claim that Jannis excels at using a lot of different steels and also making some himself. I personally also think that he’s more creative than most other makers. With almost every new batch you see knives or elements of knives that just ... I dunno....surprise?

Lastly, one of the reasons he’s up there as a CUSTOM maker is his ability to master even the most unusual customer requests (he made a knife for a handicapped person and some rather unique looking ones for a German knife aficionado with a taste that’s a little outside of the norm, let’s put it that way.)

i know or have experienced plenty of custom makers who do not venture outside their comfort zone. And while I appreciate their honesty in wanting to stick what they know they can deliver at a high level, I value the willingness to try new things more... and Jannis will still tell you if he thinks your idea is stupid (experienced it myself haha).

and just for the record: while I own Xerxes knives, they’re not my favorites. I’m not a “fanboy”. I have sold knives of his (more than one in fact). I’ve Never sold a Dalman or Smide 🤭😜

RJJ getting silver is still the worst decision of all time

Holy ****, didn't realize this is 86"
86-slicer.jpg

Back