Your Favorite Touch Up Stone and How to Build its Progression

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How's it going y'all?

What is your favorite touch up stone (defined as one that you use to keep daily maintenance between sharpenings)? Do you build a specific lineup to use with it designed around it? What makes it your favorite touch up stone?

I'm interested in having a stone that can travel with me to catering events/work for touch ups. I'm currently using a Takenoko for this duty, essentially using it like Western knife users use a hone to get some zip on their edge and keep the knife sharp longer between progression sharpening. Its leaving something to be desired, so I figured I would ask around.

I'm really interested in upgrading my whole set, but building it around having my daily commuter stone as it will be used the most often (let me know if this is a backwards way of thinking). I was thinking something like the 600 no-soak gesshin splash-n-go with the 5K gesshin splash-n-go might make a good duo (not having used these before). Also considering the suggested lineup of 3 stones he has but hesitant at that price point (let me know if I shouldn't be). Also considering the 1/6K combo stone as a standalone.

I've currently got a king 1k/6k and a takenoko. I've owned a suehiro rika before and remember really liking it, though it was a few years back. I liked the feedback and muddiness, though it gouged easy.

What are your experiences and thoughts on this matter?

Thanks so much for any and all opinions and advice! I greatly appreciate it.

Welcome to the forum.

When I can get to the PO I have a Gesshin 1/6K waiting for me for just this purpose. I have in the past used 1 to 2K splash and go as well as a synthetic aoto. They worked well but I want to try a combo.

We have some great sponsoring vendors here, Japanese Knife Imports and Japanese Natural Stones both offer a good selection of stones and have a free shipping threshold.

Welcome to the forum.

When I can get to the PO I have a Gesshin 1/6K waiting for me for just this purpose. I have in the past used 1 to 2K splash and go as well as a synthetic aoto. They worked well but I want to try a combo.

Well that's cool timing, I'm excited to hear about it. Congrats on your purchase.

My typical progression is Omura, Ikarashi and Aizu. I use a Suehiro cerax 320 if I need to go lower than that but it isn't often. As a touch up stone I use an Aono Aoto. Before going natural I used either a 2k shapton Pro or 3k Chosera stone for touch ups. For traveling stones I use Shapton glass stones cut for an edge pro, they fit well in my knife bag. These are not ideal due to their size but they work.

What's the word on natural stones? Why are they so well valued by their enthusiasts?

I can only answer from my own perspective. For me it is about a number of things but mostly the feel of the stone in use. Not to get generic but they have a more organic feel about them. The fact that they are splash and go is a major plus as well. Natural stones also give a more unique finish to the blade, in many cases. The scratches left are not as deep and are easier to get out with the following stone. One thing I find is that natural stones tend to leave and edge with more bite as well. I don't know if that is just me and how I sharpen or if others have had the same experience. Finally, I like collecting them. They are unique and many are quite nice to look at as well as making interesting conversation pieces.

However, most often I do find naturals to be less efficient than their synthetic counterparts in that they remove less metal at a slower rate. Sometimes, this is something that I desire. Such cases would be with a simple touch up. Generally I have a neutral feeling about the speed of abrasion because as a home user and hobbyist it is not significant enough to be a deciding factor. Honestly I would be happy to sharpen all day. I suppose this is why some fellas don't much care for mid range naturals. They are slower than synthetics and by a significant margin in some cases. Some stones are quite fast, though. I find my Ikarashi able to keep up with a Shapton Glass 2k with no issues.

Hopefully others with much more experience than I will weigh in here.

I think the SS 5000 is slowly becoming my fave for all things stainless (and it seems to polish anything no matter what came before), the coti (after BBW or King 6K) - sometimes followed by crox on softwood - for carbon.

Jnats certainly have their place. But transportable is not one of their attributes.

Yeah...I don't wanna travel with mine. Heavy and fragile. Even one of the tiny little Aizu that I have is quite hefty.

So one touch up method is dry stropping on a high grit stone. I use the Arashiyama 6000 recommended here and couldn't be happier. It is a synthetic stone with natural stone powder mixed in. It is relatively inexpensive too.

For carbons, I usually don't use it in a progression as I go higher than 6000 with a Aiiwatani natural stone after a Khao Men natural (3000-5000) and a Thai orange binsui (800).

For stainless knives the Arashiyama is my final stone after King 1200 and Naniwa 600.

The Arashiyama does touch ups well for both carbon and stainless knives!

I would suggest trying dry stropping on a existing 5000 or 6000 synthetic to see if it might already work without buying new stones!

I think the answer is right in front of you. Lim's Arashiyama is the same stone as your Takenoko. My favourite high grit synth

I'll give it a shot going dry, we'll see how she handles. Spoke with one of Jon's boys at the JKI shop and he suggested the fairly quick soaking gesshin 6000s so I'm going to give that a shot. It was described as more aggressive than others in that grit range, so it might keep me off the lower grits for longer and touch up faster. Also, honestly what I miss about the Rika is the feel and this one might get me back in that direction. I'm excited to try it out.

I think I might be biased against very hard stones, but it could just be in my head. I will give the dry takenoko for touching up a fair shake. Sounds the most like honing I've heard on a stone yet.

Back