Your Favourite Wines...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice wines!!!

Do anyone likes CHRISTIAN TSCHIDA? Worth trying...

btw on that web they sell Nestarec... Also very nice stuff

Poured quite a lot of Nestarecs muller thurgau in a restaurant I was working at! And I love some good Tschida, especially the Kapitel I

I recently had a Napa Raymond Merlot that I liked. It has a blue velvet label. It is kind of a different Merlot fuller bodied. The nice thing about the movie Sideways is it made Merlots cheap.

I am going to buy some of these Australia wines to help them out.

I am looking to buy a Shiraz from a producer named Torbreck and a Pinot noir from Mornington Peninsual south of Melbourne.

Let's buy some Australia wines.

I used to be a big fan of right bank Bordeaux blends and big jammy cabs, but trying to diversify now. Recently came back from a trip to Napa/Sonoma - found this new small winery called Fulcrum. The best rose I have ever had, check these guys out!

https://www.fulcrumwines.com/

I tried to order a bottle but they won't ship until October. I like rose' wines.

I tried to order a bottle but they won't ship until October. I like rose' wines.

Shame! Their Chardonnay is good too. I bought some of those when I was there.
Fulcrum is known for pinot noir, but perosnally I'm not a fan of pinot.

For viewing pleasure….something I consumed at an event recently. Spectacular

80BE3686-1C28-4601-88B7-C0D6667ECC3E.jpeg

Pomerol...back in the day they were somewhat affordable....those were the days....luvved it! (mean that I currently think they are overpriced even when my expendable income now would allow me to buy them where that was not really the case back then)
I usually do not go for Merlot as most is not very complex but done in the right way...

Last edited:
Does anyone know if most wine is shipped temp controlled? I've witnessed wine losing all of it's fruit in like two days of heat (over 30'C) in the house, since then we own a wine fridge but I'm still hesitant to buy wine after a hot spell....

Does anyone know if most wine is shipped temp controlled? I've witnessed wine losing all of it's fruit in like two days of heat (over 30'C) in the house, since then we own a wine fridge but I'm still hesitant to buy wine after a hot spell....

Most wine is shipped early Spring and late fall (if you order from California) and subsequently you can avoid expensive temp controlled shipping or 2 day air which also addresses the problem. I always opt for ground shipping which runs about $6 to $8 per bottle.

You can always ask the winery to ship it temp controlled or 2 day air no matter. Most wineries offer multiple options.

Wine from Europe (say Bordeaux) does ship via temp controlled containers to the distributors.

yeah straight from the maker is not a worry I have, not having a cellar of any kind makes me buy odd bottles here and there and while i can now manage storage temp I wonder about f.e shipping to a whine store (let's not start to discuss supermarket whine transport).
I won't be ordering from California though, Italy/France is my target zone ;-)

(6-8$ a Bottle shipping?? so if you order 1 or 2 dozen, which my starting order to 'evaluate a whine properly' :p that is 12 or 24 6-8 $??:oops:, Man I buy an extra whole bottle of proper whine for that much)

yeah straight from the maker is not a worry I have, not having a cellar of any kind makes me buy odd bottles here and there and while i can now manage storage temp I wonder about f.e shipping to a whine store (let's not start to discuss supermarket whine transport).
I won't be ordering from California though, Italy/France is my target zone ;-)

(6-8$ a Bottle shipping?? so if you order 1 or 2 dozen, which my starting order to 'evaluate a whine properly' :p that is 12 or 24 6-8 $??:oops:, Man I buy an extra whole bottle of proper whine for that much)

Some (CA) wineries will offer free shipping on 1/2 case or more. Shipping costs per bottle drop as you approach a case. For a case and a half, you will be charged the most economical rate for the full case and a bit more of a premium for the 1/2 case.

Most wines shipped to store from a distributor should be temp controlled shipped via truck.

Are you concerned about buying 2 cases of Italian wine from a wine store, cellar for 10 years, and wonder if the wine was spoiled when you bought it 10 years ago due to shipping? If so, that should not be too much of a concern.

Nah, hardly... lacking a cellar and given my pattern of consuming 10 years storage is a fairy tale :p

I only ship when the weather permits - so I will typically ship in November to spring - in winter, it depends how cold. But yes, very important watch out

never ship in peak summer

Pomerol...back in the day they were somewhat affordable....those were the days....luvved it! (mean that I currently think they are overpriced even when my expendable income now would allow me to buy them where that was not really the case back then)
I usually do not go for Merlot as most is not very complex but done in the right way...
It’s 80 percent merlot and 20 % Cabernet franc. But this one is done right as you say. This property has been making wine since 1700’s and is now owned by Lafite Rothschild. If you are ever in these parts, we will get my neighbor @altwisser and crack open a bottle while checking out some knives

It’s 80 percent merlot and 20 % Cabernet franc. But this one is done right as you say. This property has been making wine since 1700’s and is now owned by Lafite Rothschild. If you are ever in these parts, we will get my neighbor @altwisser and crack open a bottle while checking out some knives
I usually keep to the left when the option to Basel flies by passing Karlsruhe, but I could do a detour on my way back so I can visit some friends in Vorarlberg and stop by...let's get the vaccination passports before planning anything...so far my vaccination appointments did not make into 'the system' so I'm now 3 weeks behind the original schedule.

I usually keep to the left when the option to Basel flies by passing Karlsruhe, but I could do a detour on my way back so I can visit some friends in Vorarlberg and stop by...let's get the vaccination passports before planning anything...so far my vaccination appointments did not make into 'the system' so I'm now 3 weeks behind the original schedule.
In CH, we just for got our first shot, so we should be fully vaccinated June/July - hopefully this fall, you can do a detour, will be fun - @alterwisser and I would love to connect

In CH, we just for got our first shot, so we should be fully vaccinated June/July - hopefully this fall, you can do a detour, will be fun - @alterwisser and I would love to connect
should work for me, I'll put out a reservation for 'undisturbed Autobahn speeding for one" for the fall just to check if the limiter works :angel:

(is the stretch between Basel and Karlsruhe limited or not yet, A5, I know there are overhead signs so with rain etc it used to be limited....edit: sorted.....http://autobahnspeedhunter.com/)

There are unlimited stretches, and then some areas with 120 limits. But when you leave Switzerland, it’s unlimited and all drivers floor the pedal and zoom! because it’s a liberating feeling from the driving experience in Switzerland- where speed limits change every kilometer of travel - it’s crazy here in CH

It’s not only the speed limits, it’s the ENFORCEMENT! I did a short round trip from Basel to Biel and back yesterday, with a detour to Le Cocle and I counted over 50 radars …

And they will bleed you dry when they catch you….

It’s not only the speed limits, it’s the ENFORCEMENT! I did a short round trip from Basel to Biel and back yesterday, with a detour to Le Cocle and I counted over 50 radars …

Yup - I once saw the speed go from 120 kmh to 100 to 80 to 120 over a 2 km stretch and I got clocked as speeding!

totally right, a relative of me was getting home after skiing in the Haute Savoi, like 20 years ago, completely forgetting the radar traps in Switzerland, driving a powerful car in his usual heavy foot style....couple weeks later he was bombarded with kind invitations to cough up dough, at the time he was out of like 700 Swiss Francs, and since the speed tax has gone skyhigh. Even worse than in my country. Radar traps in tunnels, everywhere, total nonsense if you ask me because the majority of drivers pay more attention to not speeding and where these radars are then to driving...until they get to the Autobahn to drive much faster than is safe for their level of experience .

Last edited:
We found a little cafe in Wengen, that had this on the wine list, selling for 25% of what we would pay for this bottle in a Paris/London/Zurich restaurant - meaning we could not afford it

so we had it and loved it. Of course there was only raclette or fondue to go with it, but nothing could have been better

only problem is now we want it and can’t affford it😂

sometimes good surprises in the most humble places

Back