Your Favourite Wines...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if most wine is shipped temp controlled? I've witnessed wine losing all of it's fruit in like two days of heat (over 30'C) in the house, since then we own a wine fridge but I'm still hesitant to buy wine after a hot spell....

I don't know about direct sales within the US, but vanishingly little wine is shipped temp controlled internationally because of price and volume. It can be done, but usually on a small scale. Shipping palletised deliveries either deep-sea or via road, will often be done with something like this product: https://hillebrand.com/docs/default-source/documents/hillebrand-insulation-liner-benefits.pdf . Which can be used either wrapped around individual pallets, or to insulate the inside of a container.

I am going to buy some of these Australia wines to help them out.

I am looking to buy a Shiraz from a producer named Torbreck and a Pinot noir from Mornington Peninsual south of Melbourne.

Let's buy some Australia wines.

What Mornington Pinots are you thinking about? A couple of recommendations, if you can find them): Both Ten Minutes By Tractor and Timo Mayer (not in the Mornington, but close - Yarra), are just astonishing.

What Mornington Pinots are you thinking about? A couple of recommendations, if you can find them): Both Ten Minutes By Tractor and Timo Mayer (not in the Mornington, but close - Yarra), are just astonishing.

What do you recommend? There is a store in Austin that supposed to have some. Maybe next week I can get over that way.

Well who'd have thought KKF would turn out to be such a hotbed of natural wine enthusiasts! :)

In a different way, I've had a serious wine maker crush on Arianna Occhipinti for years, and her wines not bad ;)

Haha... yes I know what you mean. Though slightly grumpy the few times I've met her - she's definitely got that brooding Sicilian thing down to a t!

Do anyone likes CHRISTIAN TSCHIDA? Worth trying...

Poured quite a lot of Nestarecs muller thurgau in a restaurant I was working at! And I love some good Tschida, especially the Kapitel I

Big fan of Nestarec, though personally I often find Tschida a little... err... 'challenging'. I've had a couple of very nice bottles, but usually find the brett and VA levels a bit too hardcore for me.

Well who'd have thought KKF would turn out to be such a hotbed of natural wine enthusiasts! :)

Haha... yes I know what you mean. Though slightly grumpy the few times I've met her - she's definitely got that brooding Sicilian thing down to a t!

Big fan of Nestarec, though personally I often find Tschida a little... err... 'challenging'. I've had a couple of very nice bottles, but usually find the brett and VA levels a bit too hardcore for me.
I have to try some wines by Ariana occhipinti - they sound very interesting - need to branch out

What do you recommend? There is a store in Austin that supposed to have some. Maybe next week I can get over that way.

Certainly those two above. But tbh the Mornington isn't a massive area, and land is quite expensive, so there aren't many producers. Which kind've means you don't really get bad Mornington Pinots :).

Would love to hear your thoughts if you do find one... always interesting to hear what other people think of other countries' wines!

p.s. - interesting (anecdotal) observation for you - it doesn't actually surprise me too much that you can find Mornington Pinots in Austin. The American wine cosuming market is one of the most switched-on and eclectic in the world. Almost every European producer I know and have worked with has told me that the US is their best export market. Despite the fact that you obviously have a ton of excellent wines made in the states already. You can't find Mornington Pinot in Paris I assure you!

I have to try some wines by Ariana occhipinti - they sound very interesting - need to branch out

Pretty well all of her wines are great. But in particular - she recently (4 ish years ago?) started making a trio of 'Contrada' wines to show very localised aspects of Vittoria terroir and soil... they're really stunning!

I've only had the wines from her SP68 series but they were good, not amazing, but definitely worth trying. IME almost anything Louis Dressner imports into the US is good. In addition to Occhipinti they bring in Luneau-Papin and Pepiere Muscadets, two of the most reliable producers, plus a long list of other wines..

I don’t know the world of wine in detail but I always like Spanish reds when I buy at stores near home… Tempranillo, garnacha, etc. I’ve also enjoyed many reds from southern France, Italy and Greece when traveling.

His Himmel auf erden can be pretty funky in a not so nice way imho. Decanting can help though, still better than Axel Prufer. Those are some serious stinky and mousey wines.... really unstable

We couldn't have enjoyed these two very different wines more.
Good wine.JPG

I am a novice at old wines. It is rare for me to come across old wines. It is just too hot in Texas to store wine for long term as we have no basements in Texas. The AC required is expensive to keep wine. Any way in the quantities I would want. I bet we drink 2 cases a month.

You guys inspired me to buy a few wines I haven't tried before. Nothing fancy, but hopefully some nice drinking wines..
IMG_2230.jpg

I've never had anything older than a '65 Latour that was borderline ripe for a salad dressing, sherry would be the best description upon opening....after loads of air it was palatable but nothing memorable or WOW.
To verify I later bought a dozen bottles of the current year (probably 1987-88 or so) and checked development by a bottle or so each year and concluded that the waiting game is not for me, likely a mix of lack of patience and an appreciation of other characteristics in a wine. I like to buy wine that is ready to drink within a year from purchase.

I've never had anything older than a '65 Latour that was borderline ripe for a salad dressing, sherry would be the best description upon opening....after loads of air it was palatable but nothing memorable or WOW.
To verify I later bought a dozen bottles of the current year (probably 1987-88 or so) and checked development by a bottle or so each year and concluded that the waiting game is not for me, likely a mix of lack of patience and an appreciation of other characteristics in a wine. I like to buy wine that is ready to drink within a year from purchase.
All depends on storage condition and luck I suppose - Some wines are almost built for aging . I will find some older vintages online at really good prices around end of the year, but the amounts will be 4-5 bottles or less. They get discounted as they are less than a case, and therefore not if interest to collectors.

But other wines are great in relative youth - also, your tastes evolve, that’s why wine is so interesting

I have been been fortunate to try wines from the 60's and 70's. Alas, no 1961. The book Vintage Timecharts by Jancis Robinson makes a case that even the most legendary wines (first growths) reach the peak of maturity at 15 years, maybe 20 in an amazing vintage. And then its a slow gradual downward slope from there.

IMHO, i agree. I once drank a 40 year old bordeaux and a number of folks around the table was like "need more time". I could not help but laugh to myself. If the wine is not drinking well at 40 years, more time is not going to help!

Everyone has a preferred style. Some folks like an aged wine even if the edges are decaying a bit and the fruit is barely noticeable. I prefer to drink close to peak. That said, it is nice to have an old bottle around for company or for a kids birth year.

I have been been fortunate to try wines from the 60's and 70's. Alas, no 1961. The book Vintage Timecharts by Jancis Robinson makes a case that even the most legendary wines (first growths) reach the peak of maturity at 15 years, maybe 20 in an amazing vintage. And then its a slow gradual downward slope from there.

IMHO, i agree. I once drank a 40 year old bordeaux and a number of folks around the table was like "need more time". I could not help but laugh to myself. If the wine is not drinking well at 40 years, more time is not going to help!

Everyone has a preferred style. Some folks like an aged wine even if the edges are decaying a bit and the fruit is barely noticeable. I prefer to drink close to peak. That said, it is nice to have an old bottle around for company or for a kids birth year.
So true!

This fall, when you have a chance to swing by Basel - we will test your hypotheses by opening up an 1986 or 1990 Bordeaux😊

This fall, when you have a chance to swing by Basel - we will test your hypotheses by opening up an 1986 or 1990 Bordeaux😊

I know next to nothing about Bordeaux, but I'm familiar with the big names/first growths. My buddy hosted a BBQ a few weeks ago, smoked a big Snake River Farms Wagyu brisket and opened a bottle of 1986 Chateau Mouton Rothschild for us. I couldn't believe the intensity and edgy tannin structure it still had. He let me keep the bottle, I loved the label art!

I know next to nothing about Bordeaux, but I'm familiar with the big names/first growths. My buddy hosted a BBQ a few weeks ago, smoked a big Snake River Farms Wagyu brisket and opened a bottle of 1986 Chateau Mouton Rothschild for us. I couldn't believe the intensity and edgy tannin structure it still had. He let me keep the bottle, I loved the label art!
You have great friends😂😂 and they are spoiling you - most of us don’t have many opportunities to try first growths. But yes, that 1986 M Rothschild is something else - the label art is always special.

sounds like the food was perfect for it - and if you used a Kato for the cooking, well, it does not get more epic than that🙂🙂🙂

I drink mostly new world wines since the local wine stores have a much better selection of them. Mostly Oregon Pinot Gris (Acrobat, A to Z, Elk Cove, King Estate), Oregon Pinot Noirs (Acrobat, Adelsheim, Sidouri), and California Zinfandels (Cline, Ridge). California cabernet prices are crazy.

Love Alsace and Loire whites, Australian Shiraz, and Rhone reds but generally cannot find good selection.

Haven’t had that many old wines. If I want something vintage I’m more inclined to choose something like port, which to me seems to be better protected against ageing. Given higher alcohol %.

Which brings me to the off springs of wine, e.g. this nice Manzanilla sherry I had yesterday. Bone dry but with lots of character, good fit for things like smoked salmon, eel, roasted almonds.

Attachments

• E283DDF9-3B73-4FD7-97DD-5A5E7E4DD3F8.jpeg
    E283DDF9-3B73-4FD7-97DD-5A5E7E4DD3F8.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 6
Haven’t had that many old wines. If I want something vintage I’m more inclined to choose something like port, which to me seems to be better protected against ageing. Given higher alcohol %.

Which brings me to the off springs of wine, e.g. this nice Manzanilla sherry I had yesterday. Bone dry but with lots of character, good fit for things like smoked salmon, eel, roasted almonds.

I use sherry for cooking with some frequency and I'm certainly not adverse to finishing off the remains of the bottle. I haven't had the Lustau Manzanilla - my usual go-to Manzaillas are Orleans Borbon, Valdespino, and La Cigarrera.

I read the part in bold to be your statement, and chuckled my agreement...higher alcohol% protects against ageing

I finally got around to shopping for wine. I bought a couple from Australia. I bought 5 bottles of Torbreck shiraz as that was all they had. They recommended another Australia wine which I have not had, Ringland barossa shiraz. I wanted an Amarone's and they recommended this one. 30 years ago Amarone wines were so much cheaper back then than now. I picked up a couple of new NAPA cabs I have not had.

IMG_0336.jpg

I finally got around to shopping for wine. I bought a couple from Australia. I bought 5 bottles of Torbreck shiraz as that was all they had. They recommended another Australia wine which I have not had, Ringland barossa shiraz. I wanted an Amarone's and they recommended this one. 30 years ago Amarone wines were so much cheaper back then than now. I picked up a couple of new NAPA cabs I have not had.

View attachment 133111
Amarones are unique wines, very concentrated fruit and “leathery” with tobacco overtones. Because they dry the grapes before they make the wine - really distinctive wine. But you are right, prices have shot up like crazy

Latest posts

Back