D. Martell Your Help (Input) Needed

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm getting tired of making >$.50 an hour making knives so I thought I'd try adding in some work that I got known for - modifying Japanese knives. :cool2:

An example would be how I used to rework Hiromoto AS knives with a rehandle, blade thinning/etching, etc.

If I was to buy some Japanese knives (new), which ones specifically do you think would work out well for re-selling with a modification? What modifications do you think I should offer on these knives?

I'll welcome all ideas! :)

Anything san mai that looks cool when etched would probably be a decent seller, tip thinning, basic upgrades, basically I'd buy a bunch of tanakas or similar "diamonds in the rough" and sexify them.

I know you said Japanese knives, but how about some Sabatier? Grind off that bolster, thin the blade, rehandle. I know I would buy one, just a thought.

Definitely some stainless-clad blades with stainless, SS or carbon core. Keep making those wester handles. Also - add some smaller knives - 120 - 180 that can be bought as a gift for spouses. What about a collaboration with someone like JCK? Consider having a short logo/mark added to a butt of a handle on rehandled knives.

Misono Dragons, like this one you did five years ago:

attachment.php

More pics here:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...ery-Re-Handles?p=182947&viewfull=1#post182947

Make mid techs and sell them on chef knives 2go :justkidding:

But seriously mid techs, basic yo or yo hybrid handles, heck even if you just mass produced a bunch of 240's it would atleast be more efficient.

Anything san mai that looks cool when etched would probably be a decent seller, tip thinning, basic upgrades, basically I'd buy a bunch of tanakas or similar "diamonds in the rough" and sexify them.

I like what you're talking here.

I know you said Japanese knives, but how about some Sabatier? Grind off that bolster, thin the blade, rehandle. I know I would buy one, just a thought.

I like this idea too. I wonder about the end price though....would be pretty high, might push it a bit.

Definitely some stainless-clad blades with stainless, SS or carbon core. Keep making those wester handles. Also - add some smaller knives - 120 - 180 that can be bought as a gift for spouses. What about a collaboration with someone like JCK? Consider having a short logo/mark added to a butt of a handle on rehandled knives.

Yeah the stainless clad blades can be a winner.

Smaller Martell knives could happen, that's a good idea.

I'd love to do a collaboration yet every time I've reached out to vendors it's been a no go for one reason or another. I'd be down for it though.

I like the idea of marking the butt/tang of the blade with my name on an upgrade.

Not exactly what you're asking about but figure with your skillset and tools it's a need that doesn't seem to be filled...could probably do it production style once you got a good design...maybe a standard design of say 10-12 gyutos and a couple of petties and then add custom jobs to spec.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/36530-Knife-block-for-multiple-large-knives

That's for sure a hole in the market currently, not sure I could handle that though.

Misono Dragons, like this one you did five years ago:

attachment.php

More pics here:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...ery-Re-Handles?p=182947&viewfull=1#post182947

Those dragons sure look nice rehandled. I'd love to do some of those, maybe this would be a good one to start with.

That looks really good. I have a Masamoto Yo, that I wouldn't mind something like that done to.

PM me! ;)

Make mid techs and sell them on chef knives 2go :justkidding:

But seriously mid techs, basic yo or yo hybrid handles, heck even if you just mass produced a bunch of 240's it would atleast be more efficient.

Mid techs - Hahahahaha!!!! Seen too many knife makers get burned on that idea.

I wish I could mass produce on any level. Seems like the best I can do is 2 or 3 of anything at a time. But then I can't sell them quick enough making me wish I only did one.

dave every single knife ive ever bought ive always modified to how i want it. mostly thinning, but if too thin behind the edge i would intentionally thicken and add convexity back, or in a lot of instances i would adjust the profile to a more KS-like shape. so pretty much any popular knife would be a good candidate for modify and resell. takeda would be a prime example. :D

i bet if you bought like 20 fujiwara nashiji direct @ a bulk discount rate, regrind, put your fit & finish on it with a spa treatment + rehandle you'd make a killing. call it a hitech, heck this midtech crap.

dave every single knife ive ever bought ive always modified to how i want it. mostly thinning, but if too thin behind the edge i would intentionally thicken and add convexity back, or in a lot of instances i would adjust the profile to a more KS-like shape. so pretty much any popular knife would be a good candidate for modify and resell. takeda would be a prime example. :D

i bet if you bought like 20 fujiwara nashiji direct @ a bulk discount rate, regrind, put your fit & finish on it with a spa treatment + rehandle you'd make a killing. call it a hitech, heck this midtech crap.

+1
No meito with real western handles would be nice!

That’s a knife, TF! It took alotta hours getting mine to where I want them. People want them but are afraid because of the variances, I think this is referred to as the tf lotto. The western handles, as labor mentioned, could use some big help!
.. and Tanakas could always use some Dave love 💕

How about a good monosteel carbon knife such as the Misono Dragon, the Suien VC or Masahiro VC?

The Misono comes with excellent f&f, so only the blade would need some work. Can't say anything about the other knives I mentioned but these seem to be highly regarded given their fair price... But maybe they need some handle-work too...

How about a good monosteel carbon knife such as the Misono Dragon, the Suien VC or Masahiro VC?

The Misono comes with excellent f&f, so only the blade would need some work. Can't say anything about the other knives I mentioned but these seem to be highly regarded given their fair price... But maybe they need some handle-work too...

All the above mentioned knives have Western handles. Another good knife with fair pricing would be Wakui, comes with a simple wa-handle... Think of one with handle upgrade (conversion or wa) and a little thinning here and there or whatever is required...

Some good ideas here, well, except for Takeda. :scared4:

On the Fujiwara Nashiji, are you talking about the cheaper no bolster line, the one with just wood scales?

+1
No meito with real western handles would be nice!

There's a reason why "No" is in the name. :wink:

Just joking though, I do think that these knives pimped out would sell.

what i really want is this https://www.aframestokyo.com/masashi-wa-gyuto-semimirror-finish-240mm-sld-chef-kn240.html
but fix the retarded profile, turn it into martell profile.
also offer dave handle for it and then offer me the original one :)

That's an interesting idea. But maybe you just want a source for these handles? :razz:

That’s a knife, TF! It took alotta hours getting mine to where I want them. People want them but are afraid because of the variances, I think this is referred to as the tf lotto. The western handles, as labor mentioned, could use some big help!
.. and Tanakas could always use some Dave love 

Here's the TF being mentioned again....this is for sure not something I love the idea of but yeah they could sell if worked over.

Tanaka being mentioned again too. I have to look into these , it's been years since I researched what can be had and for what prices.

I like this idea a lot, and it's what I always gravitate towards when I consider these projects, but there's always a downside - perceived value. Seems most people won't be willing to pay say $300+ for a $100 knife. Some will though, it's a bit of a gamble.

All the above mentioned knives have Western handles. Another good knife with fair pricing would be Wakui, comes with a simple wa-handle... Think of one with handle upgrade (conversion or wa) and a little thinning here and there or whatever is required...

I'll look into these, not a brand that I've had much experience with.

naozumi
mono white#1

And another one I know little about. I'll do some research.

Ehh...I’d actually disagree with the wakui suggestion. Not really anything there to improve with the blade or grind. Handle upgrade sure but the same could be said for most $200 knives.
Misono dragon and masahiro vc gyutos that are thinned, eased spine and choil and rehandled would be nice.

Ehh...I’d actually disagree with the wakui suggestion. Not really anything there to improve with the blade or grind. Handle upgrade sure but the same could be said for most $200 knives.

He could probably etch the San mai ones and make them look cooler, do that, a tip thinning (it can never be too thin) and toss on a super basic yo handle or a sexier wa handle. The issue with wakui in my mind, is are people going to be willing to pay the $150-$200 premium for daves improvements, obviously if he does batch work he can keep labour down and make a decent profit, maybe a pre buy Dave for one of these (do a forum vote) to determine which blade would sell best, do a dozen and bang them out relatively quickly. 2 piece or 3 piece handle construction, classy wood and Blackwood ferrule(or horn). Spacer optional. Not sure if you can do yo or wa quicker but atleast personally I'd prefer wa from you.

I guess we will see what happens. I don’t disagree with you with exception to the the tip thinning part, these are some of the thinnest behind the edge San mai knives that can bought at $199. My thoughts here are that it would make sense to pick up something that performs mediocre and “pimp it”. Wakui are already pretty excellent performers. Just my 2 cents.

Misono dragon and masahiro vc gyutos that are thinned, eased spine and choil and rehandled would be nice.

He could probably etch the San mai ones and make them look cooler, do that, a tip thinning (it can never be too thin) and toss on a super basic yo handle or a sexier wa handle. The issue with wakui in my mind, is are people going to be willing to pay the $150-$200 premium for daves improvements, obviously if he does batch work he can keep labour down and make a decent profit, maybe a pre buy Dave for one of these (do a forum vote) to determine which blade would sell best, do a dozen and bang them out relatively quickly. 2 piece or 3 piece handle construction, classy wood and Blackwood ferrule(or horn). Spacer optional. Not sure if you can do yo or wa quicker but atleast personally I'd prefer wa from you.

Now that's an idea!

Wa or western is pretty even time wise for me. The actual wood used and the amount of finish required plays the largest part in time consumption. Maybe poly handled wa's - they be quick to do! :biggrin:

I guess we will see what happens. I don’t disagree with you with exception to the the tip thinning part, these are some of the thinnest behind the edge San mai knives that can bought at $199. My thoughts here are that it would make sense to pick up something that performs mediocre and “pimp it”. Wakui are already pretty excellent performers. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the info on the tips and behind the edge thickness, this is important to know.

Now that's an idea!

Wa or western is pretty even time wise for me. The actual wood used and the amount of finish required plays the largest part in time consumption. Maybe poly handled wa's - they be quick to do! :biggrin:

My logic is rather then you putting up 2k+ for the dozen blades, take the blade payment upfront and charge the rest once work commences similar to dalman. I'd also reach out to a couple of vendors and see if they have anything they want to clear out, maybe Koki has a dozen misono dragons kicking around or anything similar/budget friendly or even if James knows anyone with a bunch of Sakai seconds you could buy cheap, since your sexting them up anyway it won't really matter.

My logic is rather then you putting up 2k+ for the dozen blades, take the blade payment upfront and charge the rest once work commences similar to dalman. I'd also reach out to a couple of vendors and see if they have anything they want to clear out, maybe Koki has a dozen misono dragons kicking around or anything similar/budget friendly or even if James knows anyone with a bunch of Sakai seconds you could buy cheap, since your sexting them up anyway it won't really matter.

:doublethumbsup:

No the masashi looks like a really good knife including grind, just has stupid profile and it's huge so plenty of stock to reprofile.

I bet you people would gladly pay $450 for that with Martell profile and handle. This guy used to work.for yoshikane so the pedigree is already there. Add an American twist and you got yourself a winner.

No the masashi looks like a really good knife including grind, just has stupid profile and it's huge so plenty of stock to reprofile.

I bet you people would gladly pay $450 for that with Martell profile and handle. This guy used to work.for yoshikane so the pedigree is already there. Add an American twist and you got yourself a winner.

I'll bump this, his work comes with sayas from aframes. Get 10, ask for 240/270 x 62 or something and you'd have a Takeda slayer.

I'll bump this, his work comes with sayas from aframes. Get 10, ask for 240/270 x 62 or something and you'd have a Takeda slayer.

Interesting indeed. :thumbsup:

Back