Zack Jonas Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look interesting. He makes some bold claims for sure

Hmm, and please dont take this as arguing but what are the bold claims? It'll have an edge better than any knife you can buy in a store? Marketing lingo, although he is a mastersmith so must have some chops forging. Surprised I cant find reviews anywhere, though he has lots of kitchen knives on the site, as well as being somewhat inexpensive for a mastersmith.

Not just any edge but better than any other knife. And his line that carbon steel is better than stainless or tool steel in every way. Forgers always say this because they can't use the more advanced steel. He won't even mention what steel he uses, his heat treat, hardness, or dimensions of the knives.
I don't know just rubs me the wrong way

Not just any edge but better than any other knife. And his line that carbon steel is better than stainless or tool steel in every way. Forgers always say this because they can't use the more advanced steel. He won't even mention what steel he uses, his heat treat, hardness, or dimensions of the knives.
I don't know just rubs me the wrong way

Fair enough. He uses 1084 for his carbon steel. I'm sure you could get any details if you contact him. Personally, I love and think carbon steel is better but I'm just a user.

I have no comment on this maker. However, MS does not, in any way, denote a better knife maker. Like any other organization, it’s a matter of if people wish to go through what’s necessary (including $$$) for a membership card, of sorts.

Of course this is just one example, but Halcyon Forge—not MS. Knives are sold in seconds and is one of the highest regarded shops in the States.

Yeah, I know.

Also to add MS does indicate a level of commitment and performance higher than non holders. It's like any profession. Would you go to a natural healer versus a regular doctor if you had a disease? Maybe you would, but most wouldn't. I've been using and collecting custom knives for 15 years and understand MS doesnt always mean they make a good kitchen knife, hence my post here.

Also, no clue about Halcyon forge, but I'll take your word for it.

Last edited:
I can agree I like plain carbon steel as well. I prefer a good stainless as why not but everyone has their preference. But carbon steel isn't used because it's better. It's used because the other steels aren't very easy for forging and simple heat treating.
That being said I'm sure he makes a great product and I hope you're very happy with your purchase

I can agree I like plain carbon steel as well. I prefer a good stainless as why not but everyone has their preference. But carbon steel isn't used because it's better. It's used because the other steels aren't very easy for forging and simple heat treating.
That being said I'm sure he makes a great product and I hope you're very happy with your purchase
I agree, thanks for the feedback!

I’ve owned a lot of knives by many different mastersmiths. You can’t go by just that fact to assume it’s of a certain standard. I’ve owned more than one that was complete garbage. I don’t know anything about the smith mentioned in this thread as far as his quality. Ryan

I'm not sure why everyone is assuming because hes a mastersmith I think his knives are awesome. I clearly was asking how they are to owners and even admitted a couple posts ago that just because they are a mastersmith doesnt mean they make good kitchen knives.

I'm not sure why everyone is assuming because hes a mastersmith I think his knives are awesome. I clearly was asking how they are to owners and even admitted a couple posts ago that just because they are a mastersmith doesnt mean they make good kitchen knives.

I think you have made yourself very clear and have presented an unbiased point of view.. But that is just my perspective.

I am looking forward to hearing good things about this work.

Back