150mm Western Handle Petty. Misono UX10 vs. Konosuke Swedish vs. ??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G23G23

Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing a new petty. Between the two above, which is better and why? Any other similar pettys I should consider? Thank you.

I went with a UX10 petty because I just freaking love the look, fit, and finish of the UX10 line. There's something about that bolster and that handle... And there are some good deals to be had on the petties; the 150mm is only $109 on Amazon. I paid more than that to get a shorter UX10 to use as a petty and personal steak knife. The edges are asymmetrical, which some people don't like. If you think you'd like a more standard grind, the Konosuke might be the knife for you.

Other options include the righteous Takamura Migaki R2 petty. Just setting eyes on it makes me want to buy it.

[video=youtube;B7UBXJXgUjI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UBXJXgUjI[/video]

And if you don't want to spend much money, there's cheaper stuff like the Tojiro DP 150mm utility knife.

If you're open to Japanese handles, This Kohetsu HAP40 150mm looks like a pretty incredible knife for the money.

Have you sharpened your UX10? How is it? I've read that the steel is difficult to sharpen. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you

I sharpened my UX10 petty last night, can't say it's a joy to sharpen. Too gummy for my liking.
You have to look at it on balance - looks, durability, functionality vs a bit of pain every now and again when it comes to sharpening

I think the UX10 steel sharpens just fine. It isn't carbon but it is not unpleasant and sure it is not hard to sharpen, not at all. It is stainless and feels like it on the stones but that is to be expected.

Are you only looking at stainless? Do you have a maximum price? Where do you live? What will you be using the petty for? Will you be using it on the board or in hand (a taller profile is helpful with knuckle clearance if there is going to be a lot of board use).

The answer to these sort of questions is important to which knife is recommended (which is why filling out the questionnaire is helpful).

I had a ux10 in the past, it wasn’t tall enough for me but it was real nice otherwise. I recently did a rehandle and it came out looking real purdy, that bolster makes me want to get another.

308f9xe.jpg

Get the ux10 and get somebody good like Dave to rehandle it.

I had a ux10 in the past, it wasn’t tall enough for me but it was real nice otherwise. I recently did a rehandle and it came out looking real purdy, that bolster makes me want to get another.

308f9xe.jpg

Get the ux10 and get somebody good like Dave to rehandle it.
Very nice indeed! Now, and this is a delicate point, the Misono original handle isn't that bad at all and does not require an immediate replacement. That being sad, if you consider rehandling, obviously having it done by Dave is a serious option to be considered.

Back