1st pistol

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived in CA before I retired from the .mil and loved it. Lived near Napa Valley in Vacaville (same place as Running Man knives). My wife is from Sacramento. While I love some aspects, the gun laws there are too restrictive for me to want to move back.
I’m in Santa Rosa. I know Vacaville well.!

if I leave. It won’t be because of the guns. I’m a fan, but not a rabid gun fan.
It will be because of cost. Sell my house and buy a shack somewhere.

Back to gun. Straight up self defense. Glock. No muss no fuss. No safety, no nonsense.

I could fire it blind. I wouldn’t, but just making a point. Like if the zombie clawed out my eyes and I needed to kill my self. :D.

Glock - striker fire with no safety = highest rate of accidental discharges.
true..but the most basic gun safety procedures burned into your brain and muscle memory should prevent this.

having said that, i think 90% of the gun owners out there dont practice enough. i know i dont. when i got my glock, my brother let me do this firing course they train on. i absolutely sucked. goinng thru a building, moving amongst cars, it was tough. very tough.

i would need to drill drill and do more drills.

that is why i shoot my .22 a lot.

Glock - striker fire with no safety = highest rate of accidental discharges.
Ive been going back and forth alot on what im getting. Now im feeling the lack of a firing safety pin to be slightly unnerving. So im going to change my reqeuirements.

Price:1500
Want rather accurate (once I become a good shooter). Its not fun to me if i miss.
Want it aesthetic and reliable.
Prefer firing safety block
It won't be carried so weight isnt an issue.
Prefer 9mm but this gun sounds fun

https://www.gardenstatearmory.com/handguns/semi-automatic-handguns/sig-1911-stand-45acp-5-7rd

5#pull Sao sounds responsible right? I really need to rent some guns. Theres too many options.

https://store.heritageguild.com/han...r-style-rear-sights-2-magazines-9rd-o5072xe-1
Maybe ill splurge?

Trying to figure it if they both have firing pin safety block

(Ps as far as home defense goes i think im just going to go with the shot gun too)

Edit part 2
(After googling it seems it would most likely be ok of good forbid i dropped it, I also don't plank on dropping it, just looking for more options o guess)

Last edited:
Ive been going back and forth alot on what im getting. Now im feeling the lack of a firing safety pin to be slightly unnerving. So im going to change my reqeuirements.

Price:1500
Want rather accurate (once I become a good shooter). Its not fun to me if i miss.
Want it aesthetic and reliable.
Prefer firing safety block
It won't be carried so weight isnt an issue.
Prefer 9mm but this gun sounds fun

https://www.gardenstatearmory.com/handguns/semi-automatic-handguns/sig-1911-stand-45acp-5-7rd

5#pull Sao sounds responsible right? I really need to rent some guns. Theres too many options.

https://store.heritageguild.com/han...r-style-rear-sights-2-magazines-9rd-o5072xe-1
Maybe ill splurge?

Trying to figure it if they both have firing pin safety block

(Ps as far as home defense goes i think im just going to go with the shot gun too)

Edit part 2
(After googling it seems it would most likely be ok of good forbid i dropped it, I also don't plank on dropping it, just looking for more options o guess)
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-sig-sauer-p210-target-9mm-pistol/

Like all types of pistols, but I'm a 1911 guy at heart.

With $1500 you should just apply for another PPP, and cop 2 guns. Cop a basic but nice used 9, something like a Taurus, Glock 19, Hi Power, Beretta or a .357 revolver, maybe like a S&W 686 with a 4 inch barrel, you can put .38's through it all day and then pickup a nice 1911 in .45 or .38 Super. Or get a nice plinker in .22 for like $300-400 and splurge the rest on a 1911 like a Springfield Armory, Les Bauer, Kimber, Sig, STI, Colt Gold Cup National Match, etc.

There's a million ways you can go though.

When you say first gun, I assume you also are new to shooting in general. If that's the case I would say start with a more forgiving round (like a 9mm etc). You don't want to develop a bad habit like flinching from the recoil. Also follow up shots are very important and it will be easier to stay on target if you can manage the recoil.

When you say first gun, I assume you also are new to shooting in general. If that's the case I would say start with a more forgiving round (like a 9mm etc). You don't want to develop a bad habit like flinching from the recoil. Also follow up shots are very important and it will be easier to stay on target if you can manage the recoil.
Yeah 9 mm is definitely the direction I want to go. Part of me is still leaning towards the shadow, shotgun combo. As far as the firing safety pin, everything i read about the shadow says it needs a substantial drop, almost directly on the muzzle for an accidental discharge.

Like all types of pistols, but I'm a 1911 guy at heart.

With $1500 you should just apply for another PPP, and cop 2 guns. Cop a basic but nice used 9, something like a Taurus, Glock 19, Hi Power, Beretta or a .357 revolver, maybe like a S&W 686 with a 4 inch barrel, you can put .38's through it all day and then pickup a nice 1911 in .45 or .38 Super. Or get a nice plinker in .22 for like $300-400 and splurge the rest on a 1911 like a Springfield Armory, Les Bauer, Kimber, Sig, STI, Colt Gold Cup National Match, etc.

There's a million ways you can go though.
Do most 1911 have firing pin blocks? I can't seem to find it the colt has it or not.

Do most 1911 have firing pin blocks? I can't seem to find it the colt has it or not.
You have to research gun by gun.

Disclaimer, I don't get to shoot much anymore and am in the process of getting my ID card and PPP's right now, but grew up shooting. I still go trap/skeet once or twice a year but haven't fired a pistol in probably 8 years. I try to stay up on my handguns too though. Iirc 80 series Colts began the trend of the firing pin block on 1911's, but a solid amount of the modern non-Colt ones don't have it. I do know I got a 80 series 1911 as a birthday/Christmas present when I was in my teens and was an avid shooter, a marksman at that and maybe nostalgically/anecdotally don't remember all the negatives of trigger pull and the such from that gun. It was also smithed with a lighter comp trigger, skeletonized hammer, custom sights and a beautiful set of grips, so maybe that was it. Was probably the most expensive and best gift I've ever received. Put thousands of rounds through it with my grandfather before he got too sick to bring me and a best friend's of mine dad has held onto it for me since and used it.

My personal favorite is hard to find and will be more expensive than most entry level pistols, but if they have one to rent, you might like to try an H&K P7 family pistol out:

View attachment 74241

These have an interesting feature, they are not cocked unless you pick them up and hold them firmly. NJ state police carried these for a while, during which time NOT ONE of them was shot with his own pistol. Find an old NJ trooper and ask him how they liked this weapon. Expect to hear him swear at the governor who took them away from the department a good bit...[/QUOTE]

As a NJ law enforcement officer that did carry the H&K, I totally agree. Loved that gun. Miss it to this day. My current glock doesnt come close IMHO

Some thing to consider is the availability of magazines and holsters to fit the pistol. Buying the coolest, latest, model, may not work. I've found that out the hard way several times. Glock, Colt, S&W, Ruger, and Sig, will usually work.

I lived in CA before I retired from the .mil and loved it. Lived near Napa Valley in Vacaville (same place as Running Man knives). My wife is from Sacramento. While I love some aspects, the gun laws there are too restrictive for me to want to move back.

I live in the Bay Area. I travel out of state a lot for work, usually the South. It makes me sad and I shake my head when you think about the nonsense us California residents have to put up with when you visit a free state.

The Shadow 2 is one of my favorite production guns. Keep in mind I don't consider STIs as "production".

I wanted to get Glock 19 but they are all sold out.
I bought Smith&Wesson M2.0 full size and Sig M11-A1.

Anyone shoot the Sig 210 Target? Looks sweet but pricey.
Theres a YouTube named honest outlaw who just reviewed it.

So i went in a total different direction after researching for a couple weeks. I decided to go with the cz tactical for the home defense gun. It was a good price and has a decocker, firing pin block and has cz reliability. I took the extra money and bought a walther ppq q5 match polymer. It'll be my range toy as i get better at shooting.

Wkth that said I cant get the shadow off my mind so I'll probably put in for another permit and buy that in a few months.

Cause it was just far too expensive. He was vat 1700 and wouldn't budge. Corona virus made prices go even higher in Jersey
Don't make me get buyers remorse lol. Should i email em and just get the shadow 2? Try to just upgrade? I figured id try a polymer gun as well. It apparently has an excellent trigger

I figured id try a polymer gun as well. It apparently has an excellent trigger

The PPQ trigger are indeed very good for the price. I think it will be a great range toy, which is what I use mine for (threaded barrel PPQ .45). The trigger reset is among the best I've experienced.

I wouldn't carry one for use in high adrenaline situations though, that nice light range trigger pull is just TOO light for a defensive pistol. This is the only pistol I have experienced inadvertent "double taps" with recently, that's OK on a range, not so much for use around people and things you must not shoot.

Hickock45 enjoyed shooting the PPQs and did some impressively accurate long range shooting with the PPQ .45. But I recall him saying in one of his range videos that the trigger was TOO good.

The PPQ trigger are indeed very good for the price. I think it will be a great range toy, which is what I use mine for (threaded barrel PPQ .45). The trigger reset is among the best I've experienced.

I wouldn't carry one for use in high adrenaline situations though, that nice light range trigger pull is just TOO light for a defensive pistol. This is the only pistol I have experienced inadvertent "double taps" with recently, that's OK on a range, not so much for use around people and things you must not shoot.

Hickock45 enjoyed shooting the PPQs and did some impressively accurate long range shooting with the PPQ .45. But I recall him saying in one of his range videos that the trigger was TOO good.

Perfect. Yeah my cz tactical will be the home defense one (and hopefully a range toy too). I kind of wish i bought before this virus since prices sky rocketed around here

Back