2018 Knife Bucket List

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many great wants here...

Cool idea of Labor to look in at what was in the list a year ago... did hit some targets...

2019?
Maybe a wakui
Maybe a Heiji semi 240
Fujiyama blue 2 240 Gyuto (newer release)
Something from the9 (just love his stuff)
Maybe a shiraki KU gyuto
Something from Ikeda?

Maybe a Kenji Togashi Blue 1 Honyaki 240 if I can find one...

Last edited:
Keep the $$ in the bucket. Even tho spyderco Carribean is calling me.

I have a bit strange bucket list when it comes to knives - there are 2 knives I will be receiving I lost nearly all interest in in the mean time (long story, will share in detail once the time will be right) and there there is a knife in it too that should make up for that :) The first two knives are direct ordered from Japan and the one that should save the day is a gyuto from Mert - I am really looking forward to that one. It should be "the" gyuto for me. Expectations are high :)

But I have way more knives on my list that I hope to make - quite a few are in the pipeline including one 285 gyuto in 125SC for a friend that I am very nervous about (did not even start yet) as it is quite a bit beyond of where I feel comfortable today.

Here I am at the end of 2017...overspent on knives as usual, but looking forward to another year of fresh steel ahead. I’m already thinking about new blades to chase and ones I want to try. So what’s on your knife list to try or own next year? I’d love to try a Mert Tansu, Billip, and Dalman for starters. How about you?

In 2018 I picked up a 240 Mazaki Gyuto (JNS), 220 Mazaki Gyuto (CC), 240 Gesshin Heiji Suji, 135 Wakui Petty, 248 Tsourkan Lefty 52100 Gyuto.

Also in 2018, got rid of older 240 Gengetsu SS Gyuto and a 240 Kono Fujuyama WH2 Gyuto (circa 2013).

For 2019, on my radar are a carbon Heiji gyuto and petty, 245 Mazaki from CC, 210 Mazaki Nashiji Gyuto, a first nakiri, a custom, and some stones.

Sad when you get to a point w your collection that you look at other knives and just say I've got that covered or the upgrade would not be any advantage. This year I was able to finally get a 180 Shig Kaeji and now w 5 shigs, 4 Kato's several customs from Dalman, Devin Thomas's 210 and 240, couple of Kono Fuji Ginsan's handled by Haburn. I'm kinda good, still love the game but I think I've finally reached the end of the rainbow. I enjoy watching others journey though. I have to admit, a stainless clad Maz. might be in the cards after a few years. We'll see.

I have a bit strange bucket list when it comes to knives - there are 2 knives I will be receiving I lost nearly all interest in in the mean time (long story, will share in detail once the time will be right) and there there is a knife in it too that should make up for that :) The first two knives are direct ordered from Japan and the one that should save the day is a gyuto from Mert - I am really looking forward to that one. It should be "the" gyuto for me. Expectations are high :)

But I have way more knives on my list that I hope to make - quite a few are in the pipeline including one 285 gyuto in 125SC for a friend that I am very nervous about (did not even start yet) as it is quite a bit beyond of where I feel comfortable today.

I'm looking forward :) make it lil bit longer, maybe 290-295 :)

Sad when you get to a point w your collection that you look at other knives and just say I've got that covered or the upgrade would not be any advantage. This year I was able to finally get a 180 Shig Kaeji and now w 5 shigs, 4 Kato's several customs from Dalman, Devin Thomas's 210 and 240, couple of Kono Fuji Ginsan's handled by Haburn. I'm kinda good, still love the game but I think I've finally reached the end of the rainbow. I enjoy watching others journey though. I have to admit, a stainless clad Maz. might be in the cards after a few years. We'll see.

I hear you looks like you are covered If you want to unload a Kato let me know.;)

Because of this forum got a nice pair of carbon garden shears this year. They are fun to sharpen too. Go through vegetation like a hot knife through butter.

In 2018 I spent a lot for me. Picked up a Mazaki 215mm (CC), two 240mm Toyamas(Damascus and standard), Konosuke Fujiyama FM 240mm and 150mm petty,
a Marko 240mm 52100, a Jikko Suminagashi B2 240mm and finally my first Kato, a 240mm standard.
To make a little room and recover some funds I sold a Koishi 240mm. Only sold it because I had a friend that wanted it badly and I wasn't using it a lot. Also sold a Gihei B2 240mm and a Masakage Shimo 150mm petty. Should sell more that I don't use a lot but I just have a hard time letting knives go!
For a home cook I have WAY more knives than I need but that's an addict for you...

Last edited:
normally i would say yes, but at my current job i dont even take out my nice knives, i just use my beater.
What, you don’t take the Mario to work to share with your fellow cooks?

Last edited:
Man, all of you with seemingly unlimited disposable income... my bucket list would be to get a Watanabe or Mazaki 240, or maybe a Gengetsu, and a tough 180 petty, but realistically I'll be lucky if I can sell enough of my current stash to buy even one of these. For some reason, preschool for my child > knife hobbies.

In 2018 I picked up a 240 Mazaki Gyuto (JNS), 220 Mazaki Gyuto (CC), 240 Gesshin Heiji Suji, 135 Wakui Petty, 248 Tsourkan Lefty 52100 Gyuto.

Also in 2018, got rid of older 240 Gengetsu SS Gyuto and a 240 Kono Fujuyama WH2 Gyuto (circa 2013).

For 2019, on my radar are a carbon Heiji gyuto and petty, 245 Mazaki from CC, 210 Mazaki Nashiji Gyuto, a first nakiri, a custom, and some stones.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...-210mm-tanaka-ginsan-gyuto.37304/#post-556853

You have no secrets here!!

Man, all of you with seemingly unlimited disposable income... my bucket list would be to get a Watanabe or Mazaki 240, or maybe a Gengetsu, and a tough 180 petty, but realistically I'll be lucky if I can sell enough of my current stash to buy even one of these. For some reason, preschool for my child > knife hobbies.
Understand your position, I was there for a LONG time. Have splurged lately only because my wife and I are empty nesters now and paid off our home a few years ago. Disposable income was very tight until then.

Reactions: ian
@Bahama, what was your fave purchase out of all that stuff?
To be honest...so hard to say. All great knives but in different ways, everyone of them was a good purchase. These knives are just on a different level than the knives I have bought in the past.
I can say one of the biggest surprises was the Mazaki. It's the best bang for the buck in the bunch, really like that knife. The addition of the Toyama, Fujiyama and Jikko has reaffirmed my love of Blue steel. Many really tout the White steels a lot but I think the Blues get just as sharp, have much better edge retention and touch up so easy.

After that bunch, anything I buy from here on out will have a high bar to clear to impress...

Last edited:
At first, when I saw this thread, I thought I didn't really get much this year. Then, I actually thought about and was like, dang, my collection went through a massive overhual. These I ended up keeping of my purchases: I got a Tansu sc125, toyama 210 nakiri, Shig ku 180 nakiri, takeda used AS classic small cleaver, Kato 240 standard( put a custom Carter Hopkins handle on it), Fuji FM 240 blue2, kono ys 240, a douva cleaver, the OG kippington hook grind, a jns mazaki 240 old profile that I traded for a takeda petty. I sacrificed quite a few including a KS, a couple of toyamas, and a kono ginsan fujiyama to name a few.

For 2019 Id like to get the heji semi stainless cleaver, a Kato workhorse(at a fair price), new/old sharpener 270 fujiyama, something from halycon forge or a comet.

Ironically, my knives got little action this year. It was painful. I was out of pro kitchen, been working on getting my food truck going. I'm about a week out of launching, so I'm really excited to get them back in action. Honestly, even though my collection is miniscule compared to many. It is such overkill for me as only a homecook. It makes such a difference working in a pro environment to actually use your knives, at least for me. So I'm most looking forward to just get back to working in the kitchen in 2019!

2019 bucket list: always looking for ks honyaki, but a custom mizuno white2 honyaki would suffice

If you decide to go for the Miz honyaki let me know and I'll get in on the group buy. I'm not sure how many need to order for them to make it. I think when I asked Koki he said 6.

Last edited:
As for my list for 2018/19...

2018 -

Since I've been changing from 210s to 240s, I think I've purchased almost my entire collection this year. My favorites are my Wakui gyutos (migaki and nashiji), Konosuke Fujiyama blue #2 and white #1 gyutos, Jikko Akebono and Halcyon Forge wrought iron/1.2519 gyuto.

2019 -

I have five on the list - Comet, Kippington, Evan Antzenberger, LaSeur and if I somehow get lucky, Bryan Raquin. On the first three makers' lists, but still looking for a Raquin and need to ask Tony how to get on his list.

Last edited:
I left off one. Wanting to get a mazaki for 2019, definitely.

I found this forum exactly 365 days ago, happy about buying my tojiro and my king 1/6k, asking where to go next .... Well ..... 5 Nakiris (Heiji, Shigefusa, Hinoura, Mazaki, Tanaka) 4 Gyutos (Tanaka, Hiromoto, Ashi Ginga, Kaeru), a Munetoshi butcher, a Yu Kurosaki Chuka and Tanaka Gin-3 petty later ... I think I'm pretty knifed out for a home cook. Almost forgot about that Foster bros cleaver too.

I also discovered the inner rabbit hole that are Jnats [emoji85]

For 2019, I would like to try Heiji Carbon, maybe dabble a bit in single bevels. Maybe a full size Chuka.

Back