210mm - 240mm Gyuto Help Needed

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vrad

Reaction score
Hey, I just read through 30 or 40 pages of backlogged threads here and didn't really see someone in exactly my situation so figured the best thing to do was post a thread looking for help

Canada

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

210 - 240 mm Gyuto for general purpose use

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

I think I prefer Western handle? I've never used a Japanese handle and I would think I could adapt to one fine, but I usually like the look of Western handled knives better

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

210-240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

I don't require one, but I suspect I may prefer one based on other criteria

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

Looking to spend $150-$300 CAD or so, and willing to spend money above and beyond that on sharpening gear etc.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Pretty much anything that I won't use a paring knife, boning knife, or meat cleaver on (i.e. the other knives I already own)

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Some cheap generic thing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

I'd like good edge retention and (relatively) low maintenance. I take good care of things and am a bit of a neat freak, but at the same time I don't want something that requires excessive babying or constant sharpening etc. Lowish reactivity would be nice.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

End Grain and Synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Not right now

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

For whatever reason, the Misono UX10 really appeals to me aesthetically / from a profile POV, but I get the impression from reading lots of threads that it's not particularly good from a price to performance perspective anymore (despite being a good knife). Wondering about similar knives that represent a better value and/or better meet my criteria (especially stuff that's easily available in Canada).

Thanks!

You have the remainder of february to get masakage knives on sale from knifewear (most of the well reviewed ones are carbon though) and then knifewear is supposed to be having a customer appreciation day next month. They also have the haruyuki srs-15 knife.

Paulsfinest.com carries most of the Misono lines. You could also give Tosho and email or a phone call and see if they've got anything that fits the bill. If you're worried about value for money I think we can all rule out international shipments at the moment -_-

Good recommendations on the magasakes. I never mentioned them because of the wa handles (with the exception of the zeros). They are a great value right now

If you look for the Masakage at the Knifewear online site and find something you want but it's not in stock - call because they have 5 retail stores with some inventory that's not always indicated online. I was looking for a 300mm Suji Masakage Koishi online indicated it was sold out but after calling they found a few at their stores.

Thanks for the replies / suggestions so far!

Doing some research on the various options suggested and one thing I'm curious about is the pros/cons of the Haruyuki SRS-15 vs. the UX10

You will definitely get better edge retention with the Harayuki, but the Misono is no slouch either. Which size are you leaning towards? With Misono, there is a sizeable jump in heft/weight/blade height from the 210 to the 240.

I think I'm leaning to 240mm. My existing knife is ~8" and I find it feels shorter than I'd like (to the extent that 210mm wouldn't be enough of a jump).

I think I'm leaning to 240mm. My existing knife is ~8" and I find it feels shorter than I'd like (to the extent that 210mm wouldn't be enough of a jump).

The Misono has a larger, ergonomically shaped handle. The Hariyuki has a handle that is more slender. Misono will have slightly better F&F, but feel in hands is what I would mainly decide between these two.

Back