360mm Yanagiba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carboonrider

Reaction score
Has anyone ever trying slicing with a 360mm Yanagiba?

My hands are itching to get a hi end one, trying to decide on length

Oded

I have only played with a 330mm, and it's a huge jump from 300 already. The extra height really makes the blade looks and feels much bigger in your hand.

That's like trying to slice delicate cuts of fish with a sword... But it would look pretty cool. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 360mm Sakimaru. its much harder to do any kind of tip work with (using the yokote in this case) but slicing is very easy. Because you have so much edge length, even with little more pressure than the weight of the knife itself it will cut most small to medium sized proteins in one stroke easily.

So I suppose the key question is" Is it really a top priority to get something huge that feels much bigger in your hand?

Top priority is getting something I fancy :)
I would still like to use use it in my sushi/sashimi parties (and 360 will make one hell of a show :knife:)

But it would look pretty cool.
emoji41.png

EXACTLY!!!

I have a 360mm Sakimaru. its much harder to do any kind of tip work with (using the yokote in this case) but slicing is very easy

Not having a yokote it is intended as a slicer only.

Lets see how I do with the rather heavy Shimatani 330 once I get it better polished and properly sharp (sharpness out of the box was less than impressive).
Anyway, I miscalculated the price of the knife I was eyeing when converting JPY to USD so it's a 4 rather than 3 digit eye-watering sum... so right now in my dreams only.

If you do buy a 360mm, be prepared to accept some bends here and there.

I have handled a 240 mm, 270 mm, and 300 mm. For me, the size that is most manageable for a variety of tasks is the 270. The 300 is great for slicing in one long cut, but along with the handle is already very long and requires lots of practice (I am still working on it). Also in my ignorance I would echo LKH9 and that is that at that lenght you might as well get a really high end yanagiba if you want to have a straight knife...

Back