Achtung! Se new German is invading sis post

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baeriltis

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a new member from the western part Of Germany that has long been reading this forum quiet. And decided that this is the time to become more active, as I am looking to add one or two new knives and stones to my current stock :knife:.

I am also looking for someone that could help me identify this knife. Unfortunately I can't read Japanese and therefore am not able to find something out myself.

dqypbo6l_jpg

dqypbo6l.jpg

Thank you all
Dominik

Willkommen.

And btw, this knife is called an edogata usuba, a professional style vegetable knife of the variety historically preferred by Tokyo cooks. Somebody will probably be able to read the kanji and identify the maker. It looks like a genuine, hand -forged, ni-mai one. You are likely looking at something worth €100-€400 new, you will probably need to sharpen it, and should read up on how to badly sharpen it instead of ruining it :)

Thanks all for the nice welcome!

I think I may have given a wrong first impression by asking about the knife. I already know a bit about knives and have a small set of kitchen knives already and some sharpening stones as well.

So when it comes to knives I have some Japanese and European stock knives from Zwilling, Wüsthof, Takamura, Konosuke, Shun, Masamoto and some Custom knives from European blacksmiths.

Concerning stones I have several synthetic ones from naniwa and shapton and some European, Japanese and Chinese natural ones.

What I was looking for with the usuba was the maker...

No offense was meant ... people having an usuba and not it calling one makes me nervous in a "we'll need either a whetstone, a plaster or both in a moment" way :)

I didn't feel offended. Even if I know what an usuba is, it is still very possible that I need a plaster from time to time. Last week I dropped a knife... and catched it :eek2:

Is the box known to match/not match the knife? Good to know to avoid sending anyone trying to identify it on a wild goose chase.

Is the box known to match/not match the knife? Good to know to avoid sending anyone trying to identify it on a wild goose chase.

Unfortunately I dunno nothing about that knife and the box... it would probably help the know a person from Japan :biggrin:

May want to post "Help with Usaba ID" as seperate thread. You'll get more attention.

And welcome to the forum.

I didn't feel offended. Even if I know what an usuba is, it is still very possible that I need a plaster from time to time. Last week I dropped a knife... and catched it :eek2:

Welcome Dominik! I almost dropped a nicely sharpened gyuto when drying it but I caught it. Had eight stitches to show for it.:beatinghead:
The next one will hit the floor!

Back