Advice on French Top/Plaque

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tristan

Reaction score
Am shopping for a new range, and came across a French top option.
Have some idea of what it is for from videos and the like.
From a practical day to day standpoint how much help or benefit is one and anyone strongly for or against?
Some of you may have one at work, is it something you would miss if you didn’t have it at home?
Thanks for chiming in!

In my opinion something like a Lodge rectangular griddle can give you this function while still allowing you to keep all of the burners. Now if you have room for an 8-burner than it may not be a big deal, although I personally would use the last two for an indoor grill instead.

I find French tops to be wierd in a home setting. Basically think of it as a giant hot plate with a temp gradient allowing you to simmer pots on the side and sear stuff in the middle. The super power burner in the middle are kick ass when you take the plate out and use as an open burner.
Not sure which you are looking at, but remember that a French top is not a griddle.

I’m considering the wolf 48” with different configs. Lead choices are 4 burner with French top or 6 with griddle since I’ve never needed more than 6 burners (some for simmers hence french top could replace the simmers)
Have Gas and Charcoal grills so no need for an indoor grill.
Think the Center spot is only 15k btu, so less powerful than their front burners at 20k.

With 48" I would find it very hard to give 1/2 the space to a French Top. At the same time 8 burners is just silly.

I really do find 48" tough to pick a set up. 12" griddle are not enough space in my opinion.

I have 60". 6 burners and a 24" griddle. It is an awesome set up. Almost never use all 6 burners but not sure if 4 would be enough (if that is somehow possible).

Any particular reason you are looking Wolf?

Wolf is the only brand locally with presence that sells in larger than 36”. One other is La Cornue. However the premiums they heap on are atrocious (both brands).
Blue star, Lacancha, GE Cafe, Viking, Thor etc are not locally present

I agree that a 12” griddle is a bit superfluous. You’d just as well plonk a big cast iron griddle down. However 6 burners is all I’d ever need. Which leaves just a smidge. If I go French top it would mean any involved meal with >3 burners it would be on. So wanted to get some advice

Not sure if any of this is going to be helpful, but here are a few thoughts/questions

1. I'd go with a 24" griddle over the French top. You can use a griddle for about 90% of what it sounds like you would do with the French top.
2. Have you thought about getting the wok burner? Seems odd to give up half the space for a wok burner, but I saw you posted about woks too.
3. Any reason you are set on a 48"? Would a 36" be enough? It saves a considerable amount of $ on the range and especially the hood. Or could you justify and fit a 60"
Also, if this is for an oven range, the small oven on most 48" are so small they are basically unusable.

Being able to see and feel something before buying is pretty important, though looking at a smaller size is enough to get a sense of build quality. I have a Blue Star and they are spectacular. Built like a tank.

I’ve got 4 burners and central griddle. Works well, as can have 4 decent sized pans on the go plus griddle. A work burner or an induction hob would be good additions if I had the space and the $$$$ but not necessary

I see a lot of online pictures of kitchens with large ranges that have very little counter space. To me counter space is important more so than a larger range. I don't want one without the other.

When you jump into larger hoods you will need very large pipes coming through your roof and probably multiple large vent pipes as we are talking 10 inches across. Do you have room to run large pipes from where your vent hood is located? This all needs to be considered. It looks like Viking recommends 10 inch up to 1500 cfm so as long as you stay under 1500 cfm 10-inch probably is not that bad. But the pipe is too big to fit in a wall.

PS
I have had all 6 burners going pre-covid when a lot of people are over. Most of the time not as I use the smoker or grill. We all get together and cook together.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-16 120036.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-16 120036.png
    185.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back