American Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, apparently I missed the boat. Where can I go to find tales of his epic exploits?
He blocks and deletes most of the exchanges, and many of the most epic ones I know of happened through DM. But he's on IG, and before I was blocked he was a total trip, his rants were pretty good stand up comedy too.

Hmm...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-11-16-11-39-28.png
    Screenshot_2019-11-16-11-39-28.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 210
I’m a newbie to the knife world. As of two months ago, I’d never heard of an American knife maker. As of a month ago, I’d heard of Bob Kramer, mostly because of the wild prices he got for some of his knives. As of now, I’m no expert, but I know a few names, including the esteemed Dave Martell, of course.

Just now, I’m paging through the Home Butcher site, home to a large selection of American knives. Lot of great looking knives, most of whom are made to the highest standards, I’m sure. But, generally speaking, they are crazy expensive. The average prices easily exceed those charged by even the most respected Japanese makers. I’m reticent to name a specific American, but a non-scientific survey shows that virtually every American on the Home Butcher site charges more—a lot more—than Fujiwara Teruyasu, a maker known for charging more than pretty much every one else in Japan.

My second reaction: these American makers are laboring in obscurity. Outside of this forum, no one has ever heard of them. I’m guessing that people like Delbert Ealy, Gilbert McCann, and Salem Straub—to pick some names at random—are making terrific knives. But I’ve never seen one of their products. I don’t know if he wants to be more popular, but maybe if Straub wasn’t charging $1,375 for a 240mm chefs knife . . .

There're wonderful American makers producing fine J-style kitchen knives these days. IMO some of the very best are Marko Tsourkan, Shi Han, Comet, Halcyon Forge.

My Marko Tsourkan workhorse has become my undisputed go-to kitchen knife—like it more than my Kato.

I have a question about the knives which are made by western smiths...especially about the non san-mai (monolith) knives. Do they just cut the profile out of a steel plate sand it to shape and quench it? or do they forge it out of a billet and work out the shape and all? I would like to understand this forging process.

I have a question about the knives which are made by western smiths...especially about the non san-mai (monolith) knives. Do they just cut the profile out of a steel plate sand it to shape and quench it? or do they forge it out of a billet and work out the shape and all? I would like to understand this forging process.

Both. Some forge some do stock removal, which what you described. Some use both methods.

Last edited:
I would have thought that narrative/tale of woe would have gotten a lot more play before everyone got back to grinds and steels. Maybe I should repost it in the new members area.

I’m a newbie to the knife world. As of two months ago, I’d never heard of an American knife maker. As of a month ago, I’d heard of Bob Kramer, mostly because of the wild prices he got for some of his knives. As of now, I’m no expert, but I know a few names, including the esteemed Dave Martell, of course.

Just now, I’m paging through the Home Butcher site, home to a large selection of American knives. Lot of great looking knives, most of whom are made to the highest standards, I’m sure. But, generally speaking, they are crazy expensive. The average prices easily exceed those charged by even the most respected Japanese makers. I’m reticent to name a specific American, but a non-scientific survey shows that virtually every American on the Home Butcher site charges more—a lot more—than Fujiwara Teruyasu, a maker known for charging more than pretty much every one else in Japan.

My second reaction: these American makers are laboring in obscurity. Outside of this forum, no one has ever heard of them. I’m guessing that people like Delbert Ealy, Gilbert McCann, and Salem Straub—to pick some names at random—are making terrific knives. But I’ve never seen one of their products. I don’t know if he wants to be more popular, but maybe if Straub wasn’t charging $1,375 for a 240mm chefs knife . . .

By the way, since you're in NYC, there're two local knife makers I know of, one is Marko Tsourkan, I've had two of his knives which I love.
https://www.tsourkanknives.com/

The other is Ruby Knives, which I know little about, but saw a few examples at a crafts fair in Brooklyn.
https://www.rubyknives.com/

Back to topic. A Comet honyaki is a steal, just to use an example, you get lower price than most Japanese honyaki with much better fit and finish than almost any of them, better hamon and steel than most, better grind than most, better handle than all of them. The only thing he's not up to par is perhaps the narrative and folklore romance.

Personally, I'd also make sure to pick someone who specializes in kitchen knives. A lot folks out there think they can make a good kitchen knife simply because they're adept at hunting or carving knives, but many of these end up being pretty mediocre.

As for the knife science guy, I can't speak to the quality of his work, but I have many issues with his approach and attitude, among which is that he tries to pull himself and his business up by tearing other people down. Not someone I'd ever give any of my money to.

Personally, I'd also make sure to pick someone who specializes in kitchen knives. A lot folks out there think they can make a good kitchen knife simply because they're adept at hunting or carving knives, but many of these end up being pretty mediocre.

Saw a sword guy post an abomination he called a kitchen knife recently, and you have to be amused at the levels of confidence o_O.

Back to topic. A Comet honyaki is a steal, just to use an example, you get lower price than most Japanese honyaki with much better fit and finish than almost any of them, better hamon and steel than most, better grind than most, better handle than all of them. The only thing he's not up to par is perhaps the narrative and folklore romance.
Needs Kanji! 彗星 chisled on every knife

He blocks and deletes most of the exchanges, and many of the most epic ones I know of happened through DM. But he's on IG, and before I was blocked he was a total trip, his rants were pretty good stand up comedy too.
Are his knives any good? Curious about the price too. Some are aesthetic but just by browsing his posts I dont want to buy anything.

Knife science? For real or are you being sarcastic?
That dude is a joke and can't even take constructive criticism without blocking whoever tried to help or critique his work (even on DM). And he doesn't understand basic geometry, let alone metallurgy, and he has the cheek to call himself 'science'.

Hi. I was just scrolling through his profile.

Could you share more about what he doesn't understand about geometry or metallurgy?

So far based on what I'm seeing on his profile, his work looks pretty decent, maybe not scoring so high on finishing, but otherwise looks like nice knives.

Maybe you could tell us more about your experience with this guy.

Hi. I was just scrolling through his profile.

Could you share more about what he doesn't understand about geometry or metallurgy?

So far based on what I'm seeing on his profile, his work looks pretty decent, maybe not scoring so high on finishing, but otherwise looks like nice knives.

Maybe you could tell us more about your experience with this guy.
He thinks the best possible geometry on a knife is full flat grind, saying a knife is a wedge and needs to have flat surface to work at it's best. Refuse any other opinion on the argument. Once is been pointed on the fact his knives are not thin at the edge (presenting a edge of at leas a mm or so), he started a war against another maker saying knives need to be ground edge to spine to be thin, a month after he started selling kurouchi knives. When he's been asked to show if his knives was nail flexible at the edge, he shown me a video of a filet knives being so thin at the spine it was almost whip like.
Talking about metallurgy, he probably never read anything on the topic, explaining how forge welding is as easy as simply heat steel till it sizzles and then beat it up a bit. When asked about carbon migration he said that if a clad have .50% of carbon and the core 1%, the final edge will be at .75%, wich is fine for kitchen knives. Not sure if I need to explain what this means :')

From what I've seen he misuses basic knife-making terms and when people explain the meaning of the term to him he deletes the post and bans them. He's also trash talked other makers that actually know what they're doing. He might make semi-okay knives but he's a bit of a dick so I'd rather find another good value maker to be honest (there are plenty).

EDIT: That is as generous as I can be....

From what I've seen he misuses basic knife-making terms and when people explain the meaning of the term to him he deletes the post and bans them. He's also trash talked other makers that actually know what they're doing. He might make semi-okay knives but he's a bit of a dick so I'd rather find another good value maker to be honest (there are plenty).

This lol. I cant even listen to this guy talk. Hes condescending to say the least. Ill buy my knives from better makers.

Any other good value makers to recommend?

Any other good value makers to recommend?

Kippington (can be messaged on this forum) is probably one of the cheaper custom makers while also making very high quality knives, with the Australian dollar at 0.58 USD he would be a bargain if you happen to be in the US.

If you're not interested in a custom you could look at hunter valley blades (slightly rougher finish but great performance), also quite cheap with the exchange rate.

Otherwise a standard forged geometry Catcheside isn't too expensive with the GBP:USD exchange rate, these have a great balance between food separation, food release and maintainability, less focus on the finish.

Oh and Andrei (can be messaged on this forum) is exceptionally good value, if you're after a typical carbon steel his knives are very cheap.

Those Marko Tsourkan knives are gorgeous albeit a little thick for my tastes. His site lists everything as sold out. Is he taking custom orders?

The question of buying another knife brings me to the precipice. I'm facing a crisis. I have all the knives I need. But I want more Do I become a collector?

A little background: My entry into the knife world was brought about by two things that coincidentally happened about the same time. First, I took a bad knee injury in a car accident in Mexico. (Fractured tibial plateau. Don't let this happen to you.) No weight bearing on my left leg for three months. I've got crutches, but it's essentially three months on my ass. Plenty of spare time to spend pointlessly on the internet.

Second, a chunk of the handle broke off my trusty Wusthof classic chef's knife, a faithful companion for almost two decades. After a period of mourning, I was ready to replace it with the same thing. After all, this is the best knife in the world, right? Isn't it what all the pros use? But before I could click buy, I remembered something Anthony Bourdain once said about Global knives.

Just on a whim, I did a little looking around for Global. The rest is history. And so Japanese knives became the latest material good in which my taste far exceeds my budget. First, I bought a used Shun gyuto off eBay for $80 to replace the Wusthof. So far so good. The damascus steel, something I'd never seen before, was gorgeous. So gorgeous, in fact, that soon a Shun santuko entered the picture. Both knives were terrific. (I assume their new owners are enjoying them now.)

You see, the gyotu was dull and I had a very hard time sharpening it. (My first attempt to sharpen a knife. Obviously my fault, not the knife.) And while it's a perfectly fine knife, it clearly wasn't going to win me any points in the KKF world. (Although KKF members quickly told me how to patch up the gyuto that I had destroyed on the whetstones so I couod recover something on resale.) Plus the santuko seemed to be pointless, pretty much the same thing as the gyotu. I stepped back and reevaluated.

By this point, Jon Broida was becoming something of a celebrity of sorts in my house. He faithfully and thoughtfully replied to all of my ridiculous emails. Korin and Yanagi are near me but they might as well have been on Mars for all the chance I had of getting to them. But with the internet supplying infinite information, I was ready to operate from home.

I started with a gyotu, my most basic need. A 210mm Waiku to be exact. Orgasmic. Enthralling. My sharpening skills were improving and I was no longer just cutting regular paper but magazine paper specifically.

I got a neat damascus paring knife—with a stainless handle, very cool—for $3 on eBay. I though about getting a petty but I always liked the Wusthof boning knife that I had used in that utility role. Same with the bread knife. Picked up a Tojiro nashiki from CKTG and a vintage deba from eBay with a great patina. (After a couple of weeks, I shined up the deba and began my hardest sharpening job to date.) A 1,000/6,000 sharpening stone and a leather strop.
you can send your trusty knife for a rehandle and work over it will be better than new.

Back