Any artisan J-knives with a Kramer like blade profile

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FC61 is Zwilling's name for Sandvik 12C27. It is not VG10...
In that case I stand corrected.
I was told by a Zwilling rep the Kramer Meiji was in fact VG10 steel, just named FC61.
What are the differences between FC61 and VG10 steel ?

Cheers, Claus

I think you're mistaking several genuine efforts to discuss this with an attack on your manliness. It's not the case.

Not at all.
I appreciate your effort to help and to participate in this thread.

I’m sorry if my reply made you feel that way. Please notice, that English is not my native language.

Cheers, Claus

What are the differences between FC61 and VG10 steel ?
Cheers, Claus
Without getting into the technical stuff, FC61 is made in Sweden and VG10 is made in Japan...so let's just leave it at that.
They are different steels, hence the confusion with regard to your comment that you have a VG10 Kramer, which you don't...

Claus,

What size knife are you looking for? Do you use the 8 inch or 10 inch chef knife?

Thanks for asking. I mostly use a 20-21 cm chefs knife and a18 cm santoku, but I also own 24 cm and 26cm chefs knives.

Without getting into the technical stuff, FC61 is made in Sweden and VG10 is made in Japan...so let's just leave it at that.
They are different steels, hence the confusion with regard to your comment that you have a VG10 Kramer, which you don't...

I obviously don’t. The confusion comes from a Zwilling knife rep informing me FC61 was in fact VG10. But thanks for the info, highly valued.

Maybe one of the Mazaki versions with a bit more belly would fit the bill. Not sure if there are any that run intoned the upper 50s for height tho.

Thank you to all for participating in this thread with your valued opinions.

I perfectly understand it seems a bit off to ask for a Japanese artisan making a knife profile inspired by an American blacksmith and knife maker.

What I really was looking for was in reality not a Kramer clone per se, but merely a Japanese artisan blacksmith, who makes a gyuto and a santoku with a tall blade profile, somewhat close to what a Kramer blade profile looks like.

I realise this is not a classical look in Japanese knives, but hey if I could find an artisan, who made one series with a tall blade profile, I’m pretty much satisfied.

Cheers, Claus

I am actually really interested in this as well. It is fairly easy to find someone in America either making or willing to make a similar style of knife. That being said if I found a Japanese artisan making a knife in this style I would jump on it based on the value alone. My small experience with American artisan makers is that if I am spending $300.00 on a knife I am getting a far better knife from a Japanese maker although with a nicer handle on the American version. Once you are willing to spend more of course you can get phenomenal knives from just about anywhere.
As a follow up to the FC61 vs VG10 my research and small experience puts FC61 closer to AEB-L as far as ease of sharpenability vs VG10 making it far superior to me.

As a follow up to the FC61 vs VG10 my research and small experience puts FC61 closer to AEB-L as far as ease of sharpenability vs VG10 making it far superior to me.

You are correct.
FC-61 is Henckel rebrand of Sandvik 13c26 or Bohler-Uddeholm AEB-L
The difference between the 3 is AEB-L has roughly .01% less manganese.

Wish I could help with a Japanese artisan making this blade shape but I do not know of any. As others have mentions I think it will be easier to find a western maker doing a taller blade profile with high tip and big belly.

Any update on this search??

edit: I just looked and this fellow hasn’t signed on since April. Darn.

Any update on this search??

edit: I just looked and this fellow hasn’t signed on since April. Darn.

Unfortunately you're not really going to find the Kramer profile in Japanese makers at this time. You can find taller blades, but that's not quite the same thing. There are other non Japanese makers to get this profile, but that doesn't seem like what he wanted.

Unfortunately you're not really going to find the Kramer profile in Japanese makers at this time. You can find taller blades, but that's not quite the same thing. There are other non Japanese makers to get this profile, but that doesn't seem like what he wanted.

Oh I didn’t think he would. He just seemed quite determined to find this from a Japanese maker instead of buying a new zKramer since he said it was perfect for him.

Back