Any Experience w/ Birch & Bevel Carbon Gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

240_Gyutos_Only

Reaction score
Has anyone used these knives before? A quick search pulled up some discussions about the Apex Ultra knives from the same brand. I am asking about the one specifically called "Carbon Gyuto" made of 1.2419 German steel. I can't post URLs or attachments yet since my account is new, but it should be the first hit on Google for "birch & bevel carbon gyuto".

I am curious what the grind looks like (the vendor does not provide choil shots), and how it performs compared to similarly priced Japanese knives such as Yoshikane.

Last edited:
Sorry, I am guessing the hyperlink to the product's page on B&B's website was flagged. I included it because the product name "Carbon Gyuto" sounds non-specific as almost all their knives use carbon steel, even though it is a specific knife I am asking about. I'll just post the full specs in the thread.

Have the 230mm carbon version. Made by Fredrik Spare & it’s a hell of a performer for the price. Use mine very frequently.

Edit - it isn’t as thin as my 240mm Yoshikane. It is more workhorse-ish but still very thin BTE and I have no issues.

Broad strokes are that Birch and bevel is a collaboration between multiple Swedish blade-smiths and a well renowned retailer. Everything they do is going to be very high quality, and I’m sure there’s plenty of members on here that will swear by their work. Reach out to Peter @moderncooking He’ll give you a better rundown than I ever could!

If you're talking about the monosteel carbon, I would expect it to be very good.

I have the ApexUltra version of the same knife and it is a favorite.
Yes I am asking about the monosteel carbon made of 1.2419 steel.

What do you like about your ApexUltra version? Is it thin behind the edge? I can't find any pictures of the choil.

Looking at the composition of 1.2419 (and ApexUltra for that matter), it seems like they might be comparable to Blue #1 or AS. So fairly easy to sharpen, low corrosion resistance (but a tad better than white steel) and somewhat more brittle than white #2. Has that been your experience?

They should be thin, here’s the ApexUltra MCX by him
IMG_9684.jpeg

Thanks for the pic! Definitely looks like a grind that leans more towards "workhorse" with some convexity.

Yes I am asking about the monosteel carbon made of 1.2419 steel.

What do you like about your ApexUltra version? Is it thin behind the edge? I can't find any pictures of the choil.

Looking at the composition of 1.2419 (and ApexUltra for that matter), it seems like they might be comparable to Blue #1 or AS. So fairly easy to sharpen, low corrosion resistance (but a tad better than white steel) and somewhat more brittle than white #2. Has that been your experience?

I like the profile and the grind. I have a 230 and it fits very well to my hand and I just find I really like using it. @moderncooking and Spare have put together a highly usable package.

I also like ApexUltra as a steel. It is to my use pretty corrosion resistant. I somewhat abuse my knives - during prep they don't get wiped down until I'm done, and once im about to eat they get left until I'm done eating. It stands up to anything and I would expect the 1.2419 to be pretty much the same.

I like the profile and the grind. I have a 230 and it fits very well to my hand and I just find I really like using it. @moderncooking and Spare have put together a highly usable package.

I also like ApexUltra as a steel. It is to my use pretty corrosion resistant. I somewhat abuse my knives - during prep they don't get wiped down until I'm done, and once im about to eat they get left until I'm done eating. It stands up to anything and I would expect the 1.2419 to be pretty much the same.
I’m very similar with how I like to use my knives. I don’t wipe as I go unless I’m alone cooking for myself & I know the knife needs it.

The carbon 1.2419 has had no issues

I have Fredrick Spåre's 1.2419 bunka from one of the MCX series which appears quite similar to the B&B gyuto. It's quite nice for the price point, not quite as thin as a Yoshi BTE but with a smooth cutting and less stictiony convex grind and nice taper. The steel is quite stable and has barely taken any patina over the ~year I've used it while feeling pretty similar to blue 2 (maybe marginally worse than good HTs) in edge retention and sharpenability. Probably theoretically it's more reactive than SKD but in practice it's pretty similar IME. If you want a one and done carbon monosteel for sub $400 there's not many better options.

It's a fantastic knife, go buy it. It performs much better than the MCX bunka from my recollection. It is overall slightly thicker than the Yoshi I owned on the back 2/3rds but the front third is as thin as a Yoshi. It's a walkscliff grind so that is how it is meant to be. Unlike a Yoshi though it doesn't feel delicate. It is fairly slow to patina and I am finding the retention fantastic. Fit and finish a great, Martin makes a great handle. Honestly I have nothing bad to say. I am glad Peter recommended it to me and I would recommend to anyone.

PXL_20230729_224736373.jpg
PXL_20230729_224659709.jpg

Thanks for all the replies folks, especially those with pics. Great info here. Love the profile on these knives and the handle. The transition zone on the nashiji in Matt Jacob's pics looks really smooth. Now to choose between 230 and 250 which straddle my preferred length, and perhaps waiting for the ApexUltra version...

What is the 'classic MCX profile' at this point? Is it the older 50mm tall KS style, or the newer taller version?
If the B&B had been 50mm I'd probably have bought it a while ago already, but 56mm on a 250 is just too much for me.

What is the 'classic MCX profile' at this point? Is it the older 50mm tall KS style, or the newer taller version?
If the B&B had been 50mm I'd probably have bought it a while ago already, but 56mm on a 250 is just too much for me.
Hey @Jovidah "the classic is the taller KS profile that we gave to the B&B Carbon Gyuto. In our language we would describe the shorter profile as a classic SL or Slim Line. We do have it in mind to release more knives in the SL style, but I cant say when. Stay tuned I guess

Last edited:
Hey @Jovidah "the classic is the taller KS profile that we gave to the B&B Carbon Gyuto. In our language we would describe the shorter profile as a classic SL or Slim Line. We do have it in mind to release more knives in the SL style, but I can say when. Stay tuned I guess
Love the MCX and B&B knives! Keep up the great work!

Back