• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bought Aoto jnat

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aoto's vary widely in grit range. I have 3 different that I use. One is in the 1000-2000 range and a mud monster, one is in the 2000-3000 range and produce some mud, not much, and the last one is in the 3000-5000 range. Produce near no mud at all, without use of atoma or nagura.
If possible, ask the seller what you want. Maybe he can pick the right one for you.

just spoke with josh at bernal. he has lots of good things to say about those aotos. may have to snag one.

I have one and can agree. Super muddy, also need quite a bit of work (i took mine to concrete under a hose:rolleyes:) But for the price i believe its great value. I dont have really anything to compare it too though. Feels about 2000-3000 very toothy edge.

just spoke with josh at bernal. he has lots of good things to say about those aotos. may have to snag one.
I have one and can agree. Super muddy, also need quite a bit of work (i took mine to concrete under a hose:rolleyes:) But for the price i believe its great value. I dont have really anything to compare it too though. Feels about 2000-3000 very toothy edge.
I forgot all about these. These seem like great deals. They're sorted by weight. I wonder if the difference is only in height and not width?

Mines 191x52x50. They look Blue in the photos but muds brownish red.

B63821BB-20F9-47F1-8AB8-924C0E1A5BBB.jpeg
0DC6195F-1BB6-4DBF-8B59-9239B46B99F8.jpeg

I don’t remember but it weighs 1281 now and that’s with some serious lapping. I think it was like $65 before tax and shipping

Damn it. I've only ever used the 1k/6k synth that I've had forever. I'm temped to buy one of those Bernal stones but I worry about the gravitational pull of getting so close to the rabbit hole.

Damn it. I've only ever used the 1k/6k synth that I've had forever. I'm temped to buy one of those Bernal stones but I worry about the gravitational pull of getting so close to the rabbit hole.
If you bleed enough money just before the event horizon, it should give you just enough mommentum to shoot pass. But once over the horizon, you are screwed to fall forevermore into a land of swarf and mud

I don’t remember but it weighs 1281 now and that’s with some serious lapping. I think it was like $65 before tax and shipping
Did you like the Aoto in terms of feedback?
Is the tanba Aoto quick to release particles?
Just bought 2 Bernal aoto's 1.6 - 1.7kg.
One stone is going to a friend who's just getting into jnats.

Did you like the Aoto in terms of feedback?
Is the tanba Aoto quick to release particles?
Just bought 2 Bernal aoto's 1.6 - 1.7kg.
One stone is going to a friend who's just getting into jnats.

it’s important to remember here that I have no idea what im talking about. That being said. It releases mid very fast. and it’s very soft. Mine does best running under water for 30 seconds. I’ve been using it more to polish than sharpen and in that aspect it leaves a decent scratch pattern with reasonable contrast and a stray “deeper” scratch here and there. I know a few of you already went ahead and purchased but I would say try to ask for one with a wider sharpening surface area. It’s not a big stone but it’s height is about the same as it’s width... around +/- 50mm. I have 0 reference for mid grid naturals but for $65 I’d say it’s worth it and can find its place and uses . I would love to here some opinions from more experienced KKF members.

it’s important to remember here that I have no idea what im talking about.

😂 I too just got an Aoto, being new to Jnats, and I know what you mean.

I may have to borrow that to use that as my signature.

Rough dimensions? The description on Bernal says that they start at roughly 20x60x50mm, but I'm assuming that they meant 200mm?

Back