Recipe Requested Basque cheese cake

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiDave

Reaction score
I’m doing red wine braised short ribs this weekend and wanted to pair it with a basque cheese cake.

Any good recipes besides what’s on NYT?

I make it quite often – always a success. If not for keeping one's weight.

These days I kind of wing it and experiment with different ingredients, but this recipe will get you there:

https://www.justonecookbook.com/basque-burnt-cheesecake/
The matcha variant is common, but I really like the added bitterness and smokiness of putting some instant coffee in the batter \m/

It is super rich, so I tend to keep sugar a bit low, acidity as high as possible, without messing with the texture, and serve with fresh berries.

This is the original La Viña recipe. (Unfortunately, the link in the video description to the original blog post now goes to a phishing site.) I've made this, and it turns out very well.

I've used Joshua Weissman's recipe. It's a crowdpleaser for sure
I tried that one, too. The addition of the mascarpone isn't ideal, in my opinion. It makes the mixture a bit too liquid, so it's hard to not end up with a runny center.

Basque cheese cake has become a huge boom a couple of years ago in Japan and despite this, I haven’t grown tired of it. The recipe that sumis posted is almost the same as I would make it, I think it’s really good. Some additions: As the cake usually remains a bit raw in the middle, I would recommend using cornstarch rather than flour. Then, using some vanilla is really good if you want to make it more savory. If you want to make it more refreshing, using some creme fraiche can also be very nice. Have fun baking!

Basque cheese cake has become a huge boom a couple of years ago in Japan and despite this, I haven’t grown tired of it. The recipe that sumis posted is almost the same as I would make it, I think it’s really good. Some additions: As the cake usually remains a bit raw in the middle, I would recommend using cornstarch rather than flour. Then, using some vanilla is really good if you want to make it more savory. If you want to make it more refreshing, using some creme fraiche can also be very nice. Have fun baking!

yeah, i actually substitute some flour for cornstarch, 'cause i like it to be more set than loose in the middle. some people want it to be really gooey, but i prefer mine a bit more … gelatinous.

vanilla, yes!

but seriously, the added bitterness of coffee is the bomb!

Back