Beef Recipes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madelinez

Catcheside Fanatic
Reaction score
So I recently purchased an eighth of beef at a very reasonable price, which includes a range of cuts from the forequarters and hindquarters. All up I think I have around 30kg of beef that I will need to cook if I don't want to anger my significant other.

Please help with any recipe suggestions, I will have some mince which will mainly go towards the dog but I love using tougher cuts in dishes. Typically I would use slow cut cooks in an Indian curry but I'm hoping to get new ideas here.

I love making bolito misto or pot au feu with some of the tough cuts. This year I started making my own mostarda in addition to horseradish and salsa verde for it.

Great dish, invite a crowd

Goulash or Hungarian style braised shanks/short ribs served over sweet potato/polenta/grits is always good. Barbacoa and bolognese are favorites as well.

Idk how I forgot to mention it, it's one of my all time favorites, but beef rendang is a must try.
I watched this and was inspired enough to go out, buy a kilo of beef, plus a bit of lemon grass and galangal. The other ingredients were kicking around already. It's sitting on the stove and simmering away now :)

I like that guy's down-to-earth and non-pretentious style. Simple and straight-forward. None of the Gordon Ramsey theatrics…

I watched this and was inspired enough to go out, buy a kilo of beef, plus a bit of lemon grass and galangal. The other ingredients were kicking around already. It's sitting on the stove and simmering away now :)

I like that guy's down-to-earth and non-pretentious style. Simple and straight-forward. None of the Gordon Ramsey theatrics…
We better see pics!
And yea it's why I like chef John too, he did a Q&A explaining it; he wanted to start a cooking school but wanted something different, so he made it online. The focus is just about the food and technique like an actual cooking school, and thr recipes are good but made to be basic so you can do them, learn them, and then customize them the way you want. He's one of the reasons I got into cooking.

We better see pics!
That's 2.5 hours in:
IMG_2579.JPG
Not ready yet, obviously :)

And yea it's why I like chef John too, he did a Q&A explaining it; he wanted to start a cooking school but wanted something different, so he made it online. The focus is just about the food and technique like an actual cooking school, and thr recipes are good but made to be basic so you can do them, learn them, and then customize them the way you want. He's one of the reasons I got into cooking.
Thanks for that, I'll have a closer look!

IMG_2580.JPG
Finished. Meat a little too soft, so it's falling apart more than I would like. I under-estimated how much longer it would take for the remaining liquid to evaporate.

However, despite looking ugly, it tastes not just good, it tastes phenomenally good. There is just a hint of fruitiness from the tamarind; the rest is this wonderful mixture of interesting aromas from all the spices. Perfect!

View attachment 48454
Finished. Meat a little too soft, so it's falling apart more than I would like. I under-estimated how much longer it would take for the remaining liquid to evaporate.

However, despite looking ugly, it tastes not just good, it tastes phenomenally good. There is just a hint of fruitiness from the tamarind; the rest is this wonderful mixture of interesting aromas from all the spices. Perfect!
It looks awesome tbh, I guess that's why chef John said you might need to put it on high to boil the liquid before the meat is too tender. But Im glad you liked it!

Recently did something close to beef ragu/stew that I served with ricotta gnocchi. Browned bone in beef short ribs, then sweated mirepoix in the drippings and added some flour to the veggies in the pan to make a blonde roux. Once that was ready I added tomato paste, beef base, red wine all in liberal amounts to make the base of the sauce. Water also to account for the beef base. Fresh rosemary, thyme and small touches of dark soy sauce/soy sauce/fish sauce added as well. Short ribs went back into the sauce and it all went into the oven at 275 till the bones could be pulled from the meat. Once finished I pulled the meat, discarded the bones and cleaned/cubed up the meat and set aside. By cleaned I mean I just cut out the slightly tougher area that the rib bones were attached to. I ate it as I cleaned it, this was being served to my girlfriends family tho so I took the extra step. The braising liquid was cooled over night and defatted the next day and went into the vitamix to make a smooth sauce. Added a pint of left over red sauce I made for lasagna to the braising liquid because I needed to use it. The chunks of short rib were reheated in the finished sauce/braising liquid and served over ricotta gnocchi. Pretty damn good, served it with a grilled romaine salad that had a lite lemon vinaigrette to balance out the richness. Sorry no pics :/ honestly wasn’t the prettiest, meat chunks in sauce over whiteish dumplings, cooking at home I usually forgo the garnishes and whatnot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back