Best blend of beauty and performance in a Gyuto ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find Mazakiā€™s deeply textured ku finishes very handsome.

Thatā€™s as pretty as it gets for me. Mostly I dislike anything ā€œfancyā€ appearing beyond elegantly chiseled Kanji (Watanabe and Toyama as well as Mazaki come to mind).

I think most of the Knives I have kept are simultaneously lookers and either good or great performers, but both accounts have a strong correlation to personal taste. Especially the beautiful part.

Any of my Halcyonforge score very very high on both departments tho
View attachment 79873

Especially high score from the above is the far right knife for me.

View attachment 79876

Other knives I find extra beautiful and are very good performers are Raquin mini cleaver, Yanick veggie cleaver, 270 yo kitaeji Shig gyuto, and Gesshin Ittetsu Honyaki.
Joe is my most desired maker atm. Such amazing knives. Once all this pandemic business is over Iā€™ll start saving for one.

Ohhh you got THIS one. Very keen to hear about his Honyaki. That looks impressive to say the least and I bet with all your stones you can get some great looking banding to pop from it.
I was overdue for a honyaki from him. Had poked him a bit during the last year so I jumped on this blade. Unlikely I can polish this on benchstones unlike his wide bevels as this is fully convex ground with a radius platen and not stone ready by any means. But I'll get to polish it eventually whatever the method anyways.

Last edited:
I was overdue for a honyaki from him. Had poked him a bit during the last year so I jumped on this blade. Unlikely I can polish this on benchstones unlike his wife bevels as this is fully convex ground with a radius platen and not stone ready by any means. But I'll get to polish it eventually whatever the method anyways.
Ahhhh gotcha. Either way Iā€™m curious to hear your specific thoughts on it

Tastes and preferences can change over time. What were my favorite knives back in the day arenā€™t my favorite knives today. And my favorite knives of today possibly wonā€™t be my favorite knives in the years to come.

Todayā€˜s choice (fltr: Kamon, Emert, Morihei 240 + 210, Xerxes) reflects a bit of my knife journey. As many others I started with Japanese knives and have recently moved to Western makers.

38489743af.jpeg

38489744id.jpeg

An all-time favorite of mine is my legendary DT ITK. DT rocks!
Iā€™d like to add one more: Kochi 240 Migaki. WHAT A KNIFE !!!

38527151nf.jpeg

38527153vw.jpeg

38527152pr.jpeg

Last edited:
But seriously, one of my faves for both looks and performance is a Tsukasa Hinoura kitaeji gyuto. A bit of heft with a beefy spine, but the thing just cuts like crazy. The bevel is polished by Hinoura-san by hand on stones resulting in a really beautiful look. I love the contrast between the kurochi and the polished blade road.

W5Zmjkmh.jpg

VyKFZvNh.jpg

Pictured with another favorite looker and performer that has really great classy lines/profile, a Devin Thomas gyuto.

Nh9LDPyh.jpg

I have a chance to get the T hinoura kitaeji - have you had the chance to compare it to a Denka?

Back