Best hot sauce

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
avoid any hot sauce that's main selling point is how spicey it is and you're already in the top 10% of them. yes some good sauces are very hot that's not really my point.
I would agree with this, and add to avoid anything with capsaicin extract because it probably tastes terrible. I'm all about flavor over heat these days

I would agree with this, and add to avoid anything with capsaicin extract because it probably tastes terrible.
I'm not sure if the bad taste comes from the extract or just because the sauce isn't good, but either way you're still right, and I don't want to eat a lot of them to find out. :)

Some friends of mine brought some kind of well-known popular sauce from Trinidad (sorry I have no way of getting a picture or name, it was some time ago). Obviously it was not a trash sauce, it looked well made, there was nothing wrong with it, tons of people obviously like it - but I really didn't like the flavour; to me it had a certain very weird taste.

Is there some known thing about Trinidad peppers or Trinidad sauce recipes ... you know, something similar to the way cilantro tastes completely different to some people depending on their genetics?

Or is it just something I didn't like much and that's it?

Some good ones do have marketing stuff on the label about being extra hot...

It might be closer, to say there are people who are really in it to brag how hot the sauce is, and keep on talking about that all the time - they basically do sauce-eating as a competitive sport - and it's best to ignore their opinions and reviews (and their sauce).

presumably any seriously hot sauce will mention that on it somewhere, if only not to surprise people.

but certain imagery, like skulls, nuclear material symbols, guns, bragging about how insanely hot a sauce is, how you tough to have to be to consume it, etc. are a strong predictor that a hot sauce (or coffee) are dogshit.

I say this with full understanding that I'm engaging in the typical KKF snobbery that I sometimes detest, but . . . once I made my own fermented hot sauce, I can't go back to the bottled stuff. I urge you to try and make your own.
Homemade fermented is pretty great. For store bought sauces, I’ve liked Marie Sharp and some Yellowbird, but I haven’t had anything that really was breathtaking.
A fermented base for a hot sauce is pretty hard to beat. I've added vinegar to the final sauce as well as some of the fermentation brine. I think when fermented you definitely get some added complexity from the lactic acid plus it also brings down the heat a little. I've had some ghost/habanero variety growing (not sure what they are) that have a nice fruity flavour but can end up adding too much heat for an everyday sauce. The fermentation works great for these.

Marie Sharp's is also one of my favourites off the shelf when I've seen it around.

If any of you mother ****ers says Tabasco I'm taking away your remaining testicle and speaking privileges.

🤣Not the best but I will always have Tabasco at home. Useful to cook with too.

Tapatio ftw!
1616279245490.png

Back