Best place to buy sharpening stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Late to the party. Still a pretty new sharpening (approx 2 years in) but I just stick with water stones.but nothing against any other option like oil or what not. Just what I started with and stuck to.

I like the naniwa pro line (Aka chosera). But I recognize that is pricy AF. So alternatively I really like the cerax stones. Builds great mud and fantastic feedback for not a lot of money.

I do hear shaptons are phenomenal since they stay flat for so long so you can save on flattening stones (but always recommended)
As far as purchasing I always found sharpening supplies to be the best price. I do avoid Amazon because you never know exactly what you are getting (and I guess you can say I’m biased towards trying to support business that are exclusive in the hobby). Additionally you get crap results like pebble or dalstrong stones that are highly rated but are crap. which I have regretfully, and shamefully, bought.

But there are so many other great options so I don’t think you can go wrong form any thing in the specialty store.

Terrific vendor. I've been toying with the notion of getting a couple of these Sigma Power Select II stones from her just for esses and gees. Apart from their aggressiveness, how would you describe them?

Don't get me wrong--there is much to be said for aggressive, fast-cutting stones. I think that's especially true with respect to coarse stones. So I suppose what I most want to know is: (a) how the medium-fine (say, 2000-3000 grit) and fine (>3000 grit) Sigma Power Select II stones feel; (b) what sort of finishes they leave, and whether they are materially superior to the competition (e.g., chosera, SG, debado, JKI, etc.) for sharpening stainless and high(er) carbide steels.

These stones are somewhat rarely discussed, so any commentary you care to offer on these stones would be much appreciated.

Terrific vendor. I've been toying with the notion of getting a couple of these Sigma Power Select II stones from her just for esses and gees. Apart from their aggressiveness, how would you describe them?

Don't get me wrong--there is much to be said for aggressive, fast-cutting stones. I think that's especially true with respect to coarse stones. So I suppose what I most want to know is: (a) how the medium-fine (say, 2000-3000 grit) and fine (>3000 grit) Sigma Power Select II stones feel; (b) what sort of finishes they leave, and whether they are materially superior to the competition (e.g., chosera, SG, debado, JKI, etc.) for sharpening stainless and high(er) carbide steels.

These stones are somewhat rarely discussed, so any commentary you care to offer on these stones would be much appreciated.
I've had a Sigma power #6000 for a while but it doesn't get a lot of use, I'll have a play with it on some different steels and write something.

Yep for Zwilling and such my favorites are Norton oil stones and a soft Arkansas. A coarse Crystolon, fine India and a soft Ark will give you a ton of versatility and some really nice edges. You can use oil with all three so no accidentally messing up your water stones.

They don't have to be slathered in oil and all over your fingers. Just a very light surface coat to suspend the swarf.

Those stones served me for about 40 years and until I moved into harder and more complex steels, I never had a complaint. They also wear extremely slowly and will likely last you near a lifetime or more.

I like Best Sharpening Stones, Sharpening Supplies, RH Preyda, and Dan's Arkansas.

You can find all kinds of ark's out there and they all basically come from the same place. It's the grinding and lapping that sets them apart. Dan's is the best but direct from their store can be pricey. But then again, it may be the only one you ever buy so... They do produce stones under other brands but I'm not sure which ones are which.
Beware Best Shapening Stones. Great website and long list of products but Mike Poe ignores customers at the slightest hint of a problem with his products. Before sale he responded within 39 minutes. After sale 7 attempts at contact have gone unanswered. It’s not a major problem so I have no idea why he’s acting like a really bad business man. Other reviews supports this as his style.

Back